Any Photoshoppers out there?

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
JaySevenZero
Admin

Any Photoshoppers out there?

Post by JaySevenZero »

Hey all,

Two questions, are there any of you out there who have mad Photoshop skillz?

Are there any of you with mad Photoshop skillz out there who would be willing to give C&R a hand in creating some artwork for a very specific purpose?

Rest assured it's neither particularly taxing or time consuming but we would be very grateful for the help and will find a way to reward your time and efforts.

Apologies for the vagueness of what it is we actually want, we'd like to see if there are any interested parties first.

Thanks.
mikeleddy83

Re: Any Photoshoppers out there?

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Jack of all trades, master of none here but I always learn fast when I'm set on a single task. I'm sure you'll find many more people talented in this area but I'm always ready to give it a shot :)

I'm on holiday from the 17th to the 21st (to Paris, lucky me) if that factors into your time scale.
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

Put me down in the "Jack of all trades" column as well. Still, love to help out; and when given something specific to do, I somehow do much better than I ever consider myself able to normally.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Thanks chaps,

I'll be a little more specific as to what is needed - can either of you create scaleable vector graphics?
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

I used this page when I was using vectors while at uni
http://vectormagic.com/home
you get two attempts for free, so might be worth a look.

Failing that, an afternoon tracing in photoshop should see you right.
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

I suppose by that you just mean making images with vectors that can be exported at any size without a loss in image quality, right? Do you have an existing image you wanted made into a vector graphic, or were you after a new image?
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

Adobe Illustrator is better for creating vector graphics, unfortunately I only do very basic stuff in it so I probably wouldn't be much help!
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

Roy42 wrote:I suppose by that you just mean making images with vectors that can be exported at any size without a loss in image quality, right?
That, and you can use it to dynamically scale...
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

RoboticMonk3y wrote:
Roy42 wrote:I suppose by that you just mean making images with vectors that can be exported at any size without a loss in image quality, right?
That, and you can use it to dynamically scale...
Right; his use of the term Scalable Vector Graphics confused me, is all.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Correct. We need the existing site logo made into a vectored, layered file in either an .svg .ai .eps .cdr format. There's a need to get this done as quickly as possible as there has already been several weeks wasted on unfulfilled undertakings. I thought I'd put it out there to see if anyone had the relevant skills to do this fairly quickly otherwise I'm gonna sit down and spend several days figuring how to create what's needed with GIMP myself.

If anyone feels they can do this then I'll PM you all the necessary details such as colours, fonts and specifics needed.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

Jay, if you end up taking this on I would suggest using the free Inkscape program (http://inkscape.org/), as GIMP is designed mainly as a manipulation tool rather than drawing tool. Inkscape is more inline with something like Adobe Illustrator, so everything is vector focused.

I work a lot with image programs, but I'm normally just pulling things out from things created by designers, rather than drawing myself. I could have a try this weekend, but wouldn't be in a position to say I could definitely do it!
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

I didn't smooth curves or move any points or put the white in the text (save that for doing it in Illustrator as opposed to in Photoshop, which was just what was open at the time), but is that, in essence, what you want? That as a proper vector graphic?

http://i45.tinypic.com/scsv9f.png
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Just had a little attempt, nothing major so far but I'm getting the hang of it:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8052/8077 ... 059f_b.jpg

Ok, big improvement (not sure the font is exact though, bad repo perhaps) - 4 layers including black background
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8044/8077 ... d13d_b.jpg
*.svg version here (slight hitch, not sure on font embedding options)

Sorry Jay, I jumped into the rabbit hole of google on these things and the realms of meta management and standards have left me a bit dizzy, might have to call it a day on this :(
Got embedded fonts working but the new problem is working out this glyph business and scaling back font size to allow embedding at a lower cost to filesize.

Totally off topic but if anybody has colors 3d I added the logo to my gallery months back http://colorslive.com/details/86259
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Apologies for taking a couple of days to reply to this thread, I do appreciate the attempts at this from you guys.

In case there is any interest left in this issue I'll post the details of exactly what we need, bear in mind there can't be any deviation from the fonts, colours used etc.

This is the logo we need 3 layers combined;

Here's the white text ( white #FFFFFF) font used - Futura Bold - notice that the space inside the A has been filled.

Here's the grey (grey #CCCCCC), font used - Impact

The black invader (Black - #000000) Font used - The letter H from Invaders from Space

The Invaders from Space font can be found and downloaded from HERE also each colour would have to be done separately in order to allow for separation.
mik

Post by mik »

If this request has not yet been filled, I can do it.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

I'm just packaging it up to send, but Jay will need to look at it to make sure it is okay...

Jay, I'm sending you a PM with a link.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

It all looks good from this end Joe - many thanks! :D

Thanks for all the efforts and offer to help folks - now to put these images to good use! :D