The anime discussion and recommendations thread

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
mikeleddy83

Re: The anime discussion and recommendations thread

Post by mikeleddy83 »

JaySevenZero wrote:We've just watched Mamoru Hosoda's Summer Wars again for the umpteenth time - such a bloody good film. The Blu-ray carries a quote on the box stating "Rivals the work of Ghibli" and whilst we are huge fans of Ghibli films in this household I'd have to say that this film surpasses anything I've seen from them, due in no small part because of the emotional response this film has gotten from us every time we watch it.
Thoroughly enjoyed Tokyo Godfathers, looks like this one will be another suggestion I can't refuse, thanks! :D
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Sounds interesting Jay. I am always a bit lost with Anime, on what's good and what's not, so I'll have to check that our when I can!
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

NokkonWud wrote:Sounds interesting Jay. I am always a bit lost with Anime, on what's good and what's not, so I'll have to check that our when I can!
Recently, I prefer to watch full length features and OVAs rather than series, I've been somewhat disappointed of late with the overall quality of some of the shows, where they often start off promising but then, due to either budgetary concerns or just plain bad writing, they peter out to end being unsatisfactory (Baccano, Eden of the East).

We watched the first film in the recent Berserk reboot, Berserk Golden Age Arc I: The Egg of the King - which turned out much better than I'd anticipated with some pretty effective CG/cel animation and a mature, violent story. The second film, Berserk Golden Age Arc II: The Battle for Doldrey is now a must-see.

Benjo321

Post by Benjo321 »

I can highly recommend Summer Wars and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, there's a double pack Blu Ray available with them both in.

I totally get what you mean about Eden of the East Jay, loved it at the start but it really lost it's way towards the end. Keep meaning to check out the follow up films to see if things get better.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Benjo321 wrote:I can highly recommend Summer Wars and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, there's a double pack Blu Ray available with them both in.
I'd say that the double pack is very much worth purchasing as these films look particularly stunning on the Blu-Ray format (as does so much animation, the format really compliments the art form).
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Keeping in the sci-fi: I recomend Ghost in the Shell(cyberpunk cops investigating odd cases basically),Code geass(it's kinda of EVA meets death note,very good fights and a interesting enough plot if a little silly at times), and if you want something completely stupid and over the top try Gurren Laggan(dont really like it my self but I guess it has its charms)
and if you want something different from the usual:BECK,Madoka and Baccano
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

So the afternoon/evening/night I spent on Saturday watching anime only resulted in two getting actually watched.

We watched the first four episodes of Madoka Magica, which was intriguing, but its tone didn't really let me get into it when we were all making jokes and commentary as it played. I'll definitely watch the whole thing, but on my own. Probably at night, with the lights off.

And then after an attempt to watch Eden of the East without realising that Air Communication was meant to be watched first, we spent about four or five hours watching Ouran High School Host Club, which I enjoyed the hell out of, once I stopped asking what was even happening.

Had a fun time that I wish didn't have to end so "soon" (started at 3pm and went to midnight), and it reminded me again that for all the things I can and do poke fun at anime for, I still love it.
Dante Fireseed

Post by Dante Fireseed »

based on recommendation, started Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, which is on UK Netflix and it's rather good!
FudgeMonkey

Post by FudgeMonkey »

JaySevenZero wrote:
NokkonWud wrote:Sounds interesting Jay. I am always a bit lost with Anime, on what's good and what's not, so I'll have to check that our when I can!

We watched the first film in the recent Berserk reboot, Berserk Golden Age Arc I: The Egg of the King - which turned out much better than I'd anticipated with some pretty effective CG/cel animation and a mature, violent story. The second film, Berserk Golden Age Arc II: The Battle for Doldrey is now a must-see.

I'm really interested to see where they go with this considering the abrubt end to the first release of the original series. The more modern style, especially the battle scenes worked alot better than i expected and it covered the general feel of the story quite well i thought.

I watched the Trigun movie recently and it was like bumping into an old friend. Only trouble was that I didn't want it to end.

PressEscToExit

Post by PressEscToExit »

I didn't know there was a Trigun movie!!! That's made my day :D I'll make sure I pick up the Blu-ray in a couple of weeks.

I've been revisiting FLCL this week, probably my favourite comedy series next to Excel Saga. I tried to read the manga years ago but found I couldn't really make anything out because of the sort of noisy, chaotic art style it had. They've cleaned it up for the anime but it still has a really distinctive look. Anybody else a fan? I could possibly see some folk finding the humour a bit jarring but it's a really unique show. It'd probably appeal to fans of stuff like Dead Leaves and Redline, I think?

^^ couldn't find a Japanese trailer, but you get the idea. Robots grow out of the guy's head :o
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

PressEscToExit wrote:I didn't know there was a Trigun movie!!! That's made my day :D I'll make sure I pick up the Blu-ray in a couple of weeks.

I've been revisiting FLCL this week, probably my favourite comedy series next to Excel Saga.... Anybody else a fan?
I love this short series having owned the DVD's since it's original release many moons ago, along with the manga and even the soundtrack - which still ranks as one of my favourites. I always dug the sheer insanity of the show, the rather cracking animation and that live action end credit sequence too.

Not to everyone's taste but it's absurdist leanings always appealed to me.
PressEscToExit

Post by PressEscToExit »

The soundtrack is so good!

Also, there's something about Naota's relationship with Mamimi that takes me back to being his age. Underneath all the crazy bass-guitar-head-robot stuff there's a kind of nostalgia for just kicking around being a kid and not really understanding what people want from you. Such a great show.

Is the manga worth taking another look at?
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

PressEscToExit wrote:Is the manga worth taking another look at?
Kinda, it adds more characters to the mix but can be a little indecipherable at times and most of all it lacks the energetic action of the anime - not to mention the music that accompanies it.

That said, I know what you mean about its chaotic style but it's that unconventionality (the same with the anime) that was one of the things that appeals to me and I still think it has its own charm and is then possibly worth having another look at.

Image Image
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

The "Red" trailer from RWBY has been released:

FudgeMonkey

Post by FudgeMonkey »

Trailer for Berserk Golden Age Arc III: Descent

It's possibly spoiler heavy for those who have not Seen anything on Berserk before.

JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

I've still to get my hands on the second part yet but part one was quite impressive.
FudgeMonkey

Post by FudgeMonkey »

I think the second episdoe is due out on dvd in japan early next year so it will probably become "available" around then.

In the mean-time the trigun movie is out on BR/DVD this time next week :)
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I saw FLCL a while a go and I really liked it. It's just so ridiculous, but I think it's even quite disturbing in some ways. It involves stuff like paedophilia, insanity, arson, and whatever the hell was going on between the main character's dad and the weird alien girl. That didn't put me off though, it's just part of the whole unbridled ludicrousness of it. Very few things make me think "wait, they just did WHAT?" any more, but FLCL managed it. It never hangs around long enough for you to work out quite what the hell was going on either. It goes at a million miles an hour and I love how it keeps changing style. By the end of it I was left feeling like I had no idea what I had just seen, but I knew and liked it. It actually has a reasonably understandable sci-fi sub-plot to it though. Some of the things that don't make sense or seem to have no attachment to anything else earlier in the series suddenly becomes relevant around the last half of the last episode when you get that awesome action sequence. It was a great way to end it. The series has such a huge sense of cool about it too.

Recently I saw a film called Children Who Chase Lost Voices. Apparently it's also got the alternate name in the UK of Journey to Agartha, but I haven't found anywhere that actually lists the film as that outside of Wikipedia. It's a pretty good fantasy movie which is kind of in the vein of more recent Studio Ghibli works, and it looks gorgeous. The art and scenery in it are amazing, and the designs of the creatures are really great too. They're also pretty reminiscent of Ghibli stuff. It has a similar feel to it as Tales From Earthsea, although I'd say it's a better film than that. It lacks that Ghibli magic though, but no-one else can capture that so that's not necessarily a mark against the film. The plot is kind of morally ambiguous, which I thought was pretty cool. Although it's in a big grand fantasy setting the story is focused around character motivations that are pretty personal, even selfish to some extent, and there isn't really an antagonist to it, except perhaps in the last scene. I'd recommend it if you're looking for a fantasy/adventure anime but you're bored of the clichéd plots about vanquishing evil and stuff.

Ergo Proxy is a series I'd recommend too. It's one of my favourite animes ever. It's very thoughtful and throws around a lot of esoteric topics. Although it's got a cyberpunk setting you don't really get to see much of the "cyber" part. A lot of the series is in a very bleak setting away from the technological metropolis, and it's mostly only a few characters talking, or even just one monologuing and perhaps coming to some sort of revelation. Although that may make the series sound very dull, it's anything but. It's always making you think, and pretty hard too. There are many mysteries that fit in to the over-arching plot and it does a great job of keeping you interested and keeping you guessing. The ending brings this to a peak too. Everything suddenly falls in to place, but things also get pretty chaotic. It's not badly handled, it just throws a lot at you at a pace you're not really used to from the rest of the series. It leaves you thinking about it a long time after you've seen it, in a good way. The characters themselves aren't really too interesting (apart from maybe the metrosexual robot, Iggy) but the enjoyment isn't really about them, it's about the mysteries and the world it's set in.

It also brings up philosophical themes like personhood and free will. It's a great watch if you're in to that kind of stuff. They reference famous philosophers who have had involvement in those topics. Despite the aforementioned bleak setting of the series, it looks amazing. The aesthetic of it is really well presented, the animation it top notch, and the sharpness is brilliant. That is, on things that should look sharp, like characters and such. In fact it looks so good it looked like HD to me even though I was watching it on normal DVD. It also has some of the best opening and closing credits of any anime I've ever seen. They give you a pretty good idea of the tone of the series too. I'd recommend it to someone who liked Death Note, but is also prepared to deal with a fairly dense plot. It also has some of the trappings of other cyberpunk animes, like Ghost in the Shell and such.
richie_in_japan

Post by richie_in_japan »

I lost touch with anime a long time ago. I work in Tokyo and it's so ubiquitous it lost the appeal. However, my all-time favourite recommendation is Perfect Blue, a psycho-drama which goes into some Lynchian/Black Swan territory with the fractured psyche of an exploited idol:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0156887/
LaikaMuttnik

Post by LaikaMuttnik »

Scrustle wrote:Recently I saw a film called Children Who Chase Lost Voices. Apparently it's also got the alternate name in the UK of Journey to Agartha, but I haven't found anywhere that actually lists the film as that outside of Wikipedia. It's a pretty good fantasy movie which is kind of in the vein of more recent Studio Ghibli works, and it looks gorgeous. The art and scenery in it are amazing, and the designs of the creatures are really great too. They're also pretty reminiscent of Ghibli stuff. It has a similar feel to it as Tales From Earthsea, although I'd say it's a better film than that. It lacks that Ghibli magic though, but no-one else can capture that so that's not necessarily a mark against the film.
I haven't seen it but would love to. It's a Makoto Shinkai film and has nothing to do with Ghibli, but apparently it pays homage to Ghibli (though some people criticise and say it's like a copy of Ghibli films). I admire Makoto Shinkai for always being creative in his own style with a small budget, but he says he tried making this film more in a rather traditional way. I'm sure it's at least much better than Tales from Earthsea, which I found low-quality and disappointing as a Ghibli film ;(

Scrustle wrote:Ergo Proxy is a series I'd recommend too. It's one of my favourite animes ever.
I liked it too and also liked the music and got a soundtrack :)

richie_in_japan wrote:However, my all-time favourite recommendation is Perfect Blue, a psycho-drama which goes into some Lynchian/Black Swan territory with the fractured psyche of an exploited idol:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0156887/
That's like a classic of classics by Satoshi Kon! ;)
I love all of his works. Still can't believe and am too sad that he passed away so young and suddenly :cry:

I've just seen this trailer for a new anime series that's starting in Japan next spring - Looks pretty good, methinks!
It's based on a manga series Attack on Titan (original Japanese title is Shingeki no Kyojin), and they are also making a live-action film of it next year.