The anime discussion and recommendations thread

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
JaySevenZero
Admin

Re: The anime discussion and recommendations thread

Post by JaySevenZero »

In answer to your last two questions - yes and yes! :D

Check this thread for recommendations.
PressEscToExit

Post by PressEscToExit »

Benjo321 wrote:Never saw the original Eva, but seen the first 2 re-do movies. Not sure when the third is out over here, didn't it only just get released in Japan?
Yeah it's been out on DVD/Blu ray for a week or two in Japan. Going by the last one, we're probably looking at a year at least before a UK release.

The original series is well worth your time if you can get over how 90's it is. Really crushingly bleak in places.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Just started Attack on Titan and wish I'd read LaikaMuttnik's post from 2 years ago!

Off the back of the first episode I can already see this series is going to be golden, blind recommendation from me!
LaikaMuttnik

Post by LaikaMuttnik »

Gosh, that post of mine about "Attack on Titan" was 2 years ago already?!
Actually, Jay and I only saw the first few episodes, and we didn't manage to see more for some reason... I can't remember.
We shall try and find the remaining episodes. Thanks for reminding us, Mike! :)
This series is is indeed massive in Japan, and now a live action movie is being made (out next year), which will also be interesting.

Our recent discoveries and recommendations are "Knights of Sidonia" and "Kill la Kill" (both available on Netflix)!
Absolutely loved them, and now awaiting the 2nd season of Sidonia, which should be out next year! :D
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Wow I didnt even remembered this thread existed,I guess I should have been putting all my anime viewing here XD.
Speaking of which I finnished Legend of the Galatic Heroes and it was fantastic!It really jumped up into one of my favorite animes of all time and with good reason,it's one of the few series I know of that does this type of political and strategic struggle really well,it reminds me a bit of GoT in that way because even if the level of complexity isnt quite there(Where the list of vassals is the size of chapter) it's still really good and show can still juggle it's many characters without losing focus or undercooking them,for example in the last part of the show I was super invested in the relationship of two characters who I didnt even know the name of during the first part since they were really minor characters at that point but by the end they were among my favorites.
Unlike GoT though the show really focus on the conflict of Democracy vs Autocracy and it does a really good job in showing that struggle as something much more complex and interesting than good vs evil and without getting boring or preachy,it also helps that the two lead characters that are on different sides are great they are kinda of L and Light of this show(for lack of better comparison) but they are in my opinion much better than L&Light could ever be because as much as I like Death Note the two lead characters are kinda of robots focused only the job while in here the 2 are much more human,for example one of the motivations of one of the main characters is simply to get a good pension how can you not sympathize with the guy.

So if you like Political intrigue with alot of twist and turns,philosophical discussions about systems of goverment&the role of the military in society and awesome space battles with clever stategies this is the show for you!If I have one criticism is that the ending was kinda of meh,it´s not the case that it was bad or even disapointing but I Thought a show with so many twists would end in a Bang but instead it just kinda of ended up fading away if that makes any sense but maybe that was part of the point.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

So I finnaly sat down to watch Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood,this was my third attempt and I finnaly finnished and to be honest Im indifferent to it it's not a bad show or anything I'd even say it's a good show the problem is I already watched a better version of this show it was called Fullmetal Alchemist(2003) unfortunally there isnt a single aspect of brotherhood I prefer over the original series and I get it follows the manga but in this case I found the original adaptation much better,if there was one thing I really liked in brotherhood was the role of Greed which was much better than in the original but on the other hand all the other homunculos are more interesting in the original series... So yeah a good series worth watching if you didnt watch the original animation as for me well all this one did was make me want to rewatch the original XD
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Well, it took me 17 years, but I finally finished Blue Gender.

Watched it live on Adult Swim back in 2003 but never finished it, let alone saw any of the back half of the show. Used my powers at the library to buy the full series for the collection. Glad to have finished it at last, and not just for the check mark. It really is a fascinating, dark scifi piece that takes multiple turns and, while a bit trippy, succeeds with the ending. I don't know how popular the show is? I've had very few conversations about it with people over the years.

Anyway, another great show cementing my love for anime television from the 98-04 era.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

We've been doing an Anime Night geared towards adults at the library this past month or so and we showed Akira. Gave me an excuse to buy for myself that 25th anniversary bluray and, goodness, did it look pretty.

Also, the movie is just as fantastic and defining now as it was the first time I watched it as a wide-eyed teenager.