Forum Changelog and Forum Suggestions

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
JaySevenZero
Admin

Re: Forum Changelog and Forum Suggestions

Post by JaySevenZero »

Alex79uk wrote: April 12th, 2017, 7:10 pm
macstat wrote: April 12th, 2017, 9:04 am
edit: i noticed one issue with present colour scheme. I cant really tell which notifications i already visited, i dont see clear difference in colour between them.
Really? On mine new posts are orange and threads I've read are grey.
No, I think he's referring to the notifications option at the top right of the screen. The easiest way to know whether you've visited the threads mentioned in that list is to look for the orange circle with a tick inside as that indicates that you haven't read that particular one. Any that you've previously checked should have nothing there.
macstat

Post by macstat »

yeah that's exactly that .... hmm i only see those ticks when i hover my mouse on it (it either pops up or does nothing). I guess that will do ;)
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

macstat wrote: April 12th, 2017, 9:44 pm yeah that's exactly that .... hmm i only see those ticks when i hover my mouse on it (it either pops up or does nothing). I guess that will do ;)
I'll admit it's not an ideal system. it could do with a slight background colour change or something more noticeable and easier to spot. Anyway, leave it with me and I'll see what can, if anything, be done about it.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

New forum theme looks great.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Okay, so I didn't know where else to put it (come to think of it, maybe we could use a general "Feedback and General Suggestions"-type thread somewhere?), but how does the "Written Features" section work, exactly? Do the articles need to follow particular rules and/or restrictions, like word count? Should they be submitted for review by the team first? Or can members simply post a new topic whenever they want with the team deciding afterwards if the article is worth sharing on the main page?

I don't have anything specific in the oven at this very moment, I was just wondering. Seems like an underutilized and somewhat obscure section with a lot of potential to me.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

The written features thread is just collected pieces from the blog re-posted for the attention of those who only reside here in the forum and never visit caneandrinse.com (and with the hope of getting some extra feedback/discussion).
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Thanks, but... that hardly answers most of my questions... Who's allowed to write these articles? Should they follow particular rules and/or restrictions? How and where can they be submitted? Etc... Most of the authors seem to be forum members, so I'm guessing community participation isn't discouraged. But how?

I can't find any official explanation on either the forum or the main page. Am I just missing the obvious here?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Well, the intention originally was that blog posts would be written by the core team, but committing to both the rigorous podcast schedule and the blog is a bit of an ask.

So basically I accept pitches (via email, PM or DM) from anyone - community members, bloggers etc. - on the understanding that we can't (currently) pay for content, and I consider each submission on a case by case basis.

Simple as that really.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Okay, great! That makes a lot more sense now. Thanks for the reply. :)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

No problem!
Suits

Post by Suits »

Any progress with getting the forum to work with Tapatalk ??

I mainly browse the forum on my phone and using Safi to view and type is tricky - compared to TpaTalk.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I hate to be harping on about this again, but I really don't understand why the Written Features section isn't being updated more often. I only just stumbled onto Michiel's great The subjectivity of difficulty article by way of randomly browsing the main page, and I think it would make for some fantastic conversational forum material.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Well, we publicise new articles on Twitter and Facebook, and we assume that those who are interested in Cane and Rinse beyond the podcast will follow us there at least, if not visit the homepage from time to time.

Jay's been incredibly busy completely re-doing the WordPress site with a new theme, so it probably hasn't been near the top of his priority list.

I'll try to remember to keep the folder in question up-to-date but we have an enormous amount of things to keep on top of and a relatively small amount of time to do it in, so I'm afraid some less essential things will get overlooked from time-to-time.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Ah, that's fair enough. I don't use any social media, and the frequent changes to the homepage have caused me to spend a lot more time on the forum, so I suppose I just happen to be part of the unlucky 1% who's been missing out on this stuff.

An internal footnote encouraging the author of any given feature to consider adding their own forum thread after publication would solve the issue without adding to the administrative workload, I think.

In the end, I know you're all very busy with the two podcasts, the editing and all the technical stuff as it is, so It's not that big of a deal.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

KSubzero1000 wrote: October 8th, 2017, 7:37 pm An internal footnote encouraging the author of any given feature to consider adding their own forum thread after publication would solve the issue without adding to the administrative workload, I think.
This we have done previously, but it's certainly worth a reminder - as well as a nudge to our newer contributors, so I'll add that to me 'to-do' list for sure. Cheers, Camille.
Whippledip

Post by Whippledip »

Why are the "titles" underneath the avatars all Destiny related?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Because Jay was playing a lot of Destiny back in 2014!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Ah, so that's what they are! I never made the connection...
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Yeah, need to switch those to something else I think, anyone have any ideas?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Destiny 2.