Forum Changelog and Forum Suggestions

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
KSubzero1000

Re: Forum Changelog & Forum Suggestions

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Thanks for the quick reply.

My feedback was about the use of music on the show. Something I like about the older podcasts is the way that the selected tracks do a great job of punctuating the show and offering a nice break between different segments. The Metal Gear themed shows are a good example. Did you remove that feature because there was feedback against it or because your efforts went into creating Sound of Play? I feel like some of the recent shows feel a bit more... dry in comparison.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

The editors do still occasionally drop bits in here and there, but most of the feedback regarding audio bumpers or beds was that they felt intrusive.
Also of course they mean extra work for the editors (who already give up many hours of their free time on a voluntary basis as it is), plus it takes time away from our strict (self-imposed) two hour time limit.

However, I agree that even a couple of seconds of audio can serve to punctuate sections so I will remind the editors that if they - and the show - have the time to spare then it is an option.

Thanks for the feedback!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Of course I didn't mean to burden the editors any further. And if the consensus was indeed overwhelmingly negative, then I'll gladly sacrifice my earthly auditory desires on top of the altar of democracy.

Speaking of editing, I think you guys do a great job of trimming the fat and maintaining a nice flow and pacing to your podcasts. That's the kind of effort which probably tends to fall under the radar a bit.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Aye, cheers.

Not a huge amount gets cut out to be honest - again that's absolutely not to undermine the diligent work of the editors - we tend to record around 140-150 minutes of which you will hear 120.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Whilst I do think that they can be interesting from a listening standpoint, from an editing perspective I have several issues with using stings to punctuate the podcast. Firstly, not every show would easily lend itself to their usage. If we have a edit that has gone over the two hour mark then we may not necessarily have a lot of time to play around with, with possibly only seconds left within its final cut. There's also the aspect of finding suitable samples/stings which can be used, often requiring the editor to listen through the soundtrack in order to find an appropriate tracks and from them to then edit them down to a few seconds for a sting, which increases the time we already spend editing. In addition to that, some games lend themselves to using stings easier than others. As an example, this week we're recording the GTAV podcast, which is a game - with its myriad of radio stations - that comes with almost ready-made stings. Yet a game like 80 Days doesn't lend itself to quite the same ease of use. This brings me to the final aspect of this which is that we also try to maintain a consistency across the edits and having some shows with audio punctuation and others can create a slight disparity between the shows.

In truth though, we don't have a hard and fast rule which applies to this kind of stuff and it mainly comes down to each individual editor as to how much time and effort they are willing to dedicate to the editing process. Thanks for the feedback though as it's always interesting to know these things.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Gents - Any plans to get the forum onto tappatalk at all ?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I thought we were on Tapatalk..?
Suits

Post by Suits »

Yeah, the forum is on there, it just says that it's not currently available and drops me into the chat room.

Maybe there's an update that needs to be applied or something.

Or maybe I'm doing something but all I did was download the App and try to log in...
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I think Jay said when someone else asked he disabled it because it needs an update.

Here (August time):
JaySevenZero wrote:
Jusifer wrote:Is anyone else having trouble using tapatalk cane and rinse forums on android? when ever i try to go there it just puts me to the forums chat room but doesn't let me see anything else.
We removed the Tapatalk extension for the forum the other week as it wasn't up to speed. I'll have a look into it again but until they've updated it we won't be putting it back in.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Ah, well remembered Alex.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Ah, nice one.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Probably a bit late in the year now but a Forum/Community Game of the year vote would be interesting I think.

We often have chats, or quick mentions on Twitter but a forum vote/poll would be cool.

Maybe users would suggest their top three games of the year and just go from there.

No need for genres or platforms as that would complicate it, just peoples top 3 of the year.

Just an idea.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Rankings and lists under the Cane and Rinse banner is actually one of the things that we try to avoid as it rather goes against the core CaR ethos.

However we would never delete a community-made thread or poll covering 'GotY' type matters.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Dear C&R Team,

Just thought I'd suggest the "All Things ......" approach to threads perhaps be re-thought, for the sake of finding the content you're looking for.

Where I agree that similar conversation about the same topic, news or current affair make sense, grouping game series into one thread can sometimes be detrimental to finding the content you want, discussion or audience you are looking for.

I think user would feel more encourage to revive a thread about an old game if they new the topic raised was accustom to their interest.

If you have only played Street Fighter 2 and saw that a thread had been bumped for that particular game you would be more inclined to read it rather than a "All Things Street Fighter" in fear of being drowned out by content relating to SF1, 3, 4 or 5.

If you're happy to read about any Zelda content that would perhaps make up the content of an "All things Zelda" thread, then you'd see it anyway in the individual game thread.

This would also have a positive effect on the search facility of the forum as you can specify the thread title to the game you are looking for.

Just an idea, the content is all here, it could just be a bit more accessible maybe.

:)
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

I do agree with you on this. What started as an idea to keep things simple, now has the opposite effect when trying to find specific talk of a particular game within a franchise. That said, we're no longer sectioning stuff up that way, but trying to separate the threads that are already there is problematic. I'd suggest just starting a new thread if you want to refresh the conversation about a particular game.
gallo_pinto

Post by gallo_pinto »

Suits wrote:Just an idea, the content is all here, it could just be a bit more accessible maybe.

I kind of agree with Suits on this one. Totally understand that it would be too much work to go back through old threads and break them up by game. But separate threads for different games in a series would fit how I use the forum a bit better too. I have plans in the next month or so to tackle Super Metroid and that dedicated thread that Suits started would be a fun place to share opinions.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

OK chaps, your wish is my command - I shall refrain from the obsessive merging for the time being at least.
gallo_pinto

Post by gallo_pinto »

This isn't a suggestion, so maybe it doesn't belong on this thread, but I just wanted to add that this forum is pretty darn great.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

gallo_pinto wrote:This isn't a suggestion, so maybe it doesn't belong on this thread, but I just wanted to add that this forum is pretty darn great.
It is made so by the people who post on it.
Suits

Post by Suits »

ratsoalbion wrote:OK chaps, your wish is my command - I shall refrain from the obsessive merging for the time being at least.