Forum Changelog and Forum Suggestions

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Forum Changelog and Forum Suggestions

Post by ratsoalbion »

I’m sorry (some of) you feel that way, Stan.

I can’t make (or really expect) our voluntary team of contributors post here more than they want to, despite my encouraging them to do so a lot over the past 8-9 years. As with most people, many of them have moved onto social media, or simply don’t care to have much of an online presence beyond appearing on the podcast.

As for myself, I try not to bang on about it because I love what we do/what we have and I don’t want people to think I’m after (utterly unwarranted) pity, but I really am insanely busy with making our podcasts, administering our various social media channels, the blog, the Slack, my day job at an underfunded and understaffed NHS hospital, my contract work for a further education provider, as well as real life admin, maintaining my social life, family life and a relationship.

I will endeavour to post more frequently, if not at length (I feel like you all hear plenty from me on the podcasts anyway), but this forum is another aspect of Cane and Rinse that would be afforded considerably more attention if we ever got to the stage where the Patreon allows me to work fewer hours for other people.
ThirdMan

Post by ThirdMan »

Okay, guys, I'm done. I simply cannot sit here and read Ksub's sneering elitism any longer. It's better I bow out semi-gracefully than drag the forum into further bickering.

Thanks to you all for the very fine conversation and I hope the Cane and Rinse team continue to get bigger and better.

Jay, please permanently lock my account as I won't be back. Thank you.

It's been an absolute pleasure.

Slán.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Thank you man, sorry to see you go.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

???

What on Earth did I say?

I wanted to express the notion that the forum was worth preserving and take responsibility for being a part of the problem at times. That's all. Are my words completely failing me? What am I missing here? :|
Suits

Post by Suits »

If people wanna leave, just leave.

No need to make a song and dance about it, or personally attack people you think you understand.

Someone open up all the windows and doors will they !?!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

What on earth has been going on here?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Drama spike! Don’t worry, it’ll pass.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Let me know when it's safe to come out.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I get what Ksub is saying but I’ve always felt you guys lead by example by producing the highest quality podcasts imaginable. They make a great jumping off point for further discussion but we don’t engage maybe as much as we could.

Let’s turn over a new leaf and look forward to New Horizons.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

:D
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I mean, I do agree Simon, it’s a two way street.

We put a huge amount of thought and effort into our podcasts, we get excellent download figures, but we get very little direct feedback here.

Perhaps if people want to draw the podcast contributors out of the woodwork, maybe some discussion/praise/constructive criticism on the podcast threads might encourage that..!
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Now there’s a challenge😎
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've caught up on all the drama.

Man.

I've sat and typed out three different replies, deleting them each time. There's not really anything to say other than chill out.

Yeah, I don't like the pages and pages of bickering any more than I like the discussion being totally dominated by particular posters, but we're all here for the same thing. There is a total lack of respect for other peoples opinions on here sometimes, and that's not OK.

I'm also fed up of hearing how the forum has gone downhill. It hasn't. There is a really good small core of posters on here, and I'd still rather be here than anywhere else. Forums grow and shrink, it's a cycle that all forums go through. The Patreon has more subscribers than ever, and hopefully some of those people will come here. And what's the first thing they'll see? Bickering and people saying it's not as good as it used to be? Not good.

Leon, I was thinking the other day, you always mention the forum on the show, but I think there could be more of a push to get people to come here. Just maybe a bit of a sell on the Patreon show if not the main one. Maybe just a few lines about some of the discussions and stuff. I appreciate that's extra work, but I'm sure anyone on here would be more than happy to send you a summary once a month?

Anyway, everyone stop whinging and get back to normal. Fucking babies.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

🥰
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Suits wrote: March 2nd, 2020, 2:58 pm If people wanna leave, just leave.

No need to make a song and dance about it, or personally attack people you think you understand.
^ this!

I personally cannot be bothered with the bullshit of them making a big exit, lurking about in the background clearly viewing what's going on until they clocked that they're being mentioned in threads, then asking to be re-activated. This time they're gonna stay gone.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

“The Flounce”, as it’s known.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

@Leon

I definitely appreciate that each member of the team will contribute as much or as as little as they see fit, and as much as time or interest allows, and I genuinely wouldn't expect any more. I also understand that you're still very much doing this as an enthusiast rather than making a living off it yet, despite the consistently excellent standard of the show and guests contributions. Hopefully at some point in the not too distant, there will be more time to make a little more of the forum/community elements because I think both are excellent and ripe for development, which would hopefully feed back into the Patreon. It's a bit of a chicken and egg thing, though, no doubt, and if the time isn't available, that's just a fact. Of all the responsibilities and pursuits you mentioned, I would personally put the forum at the bottom of that list.

I definitely think that feedback on the shows is something that could be developed/encouraged further without much more work and it would hopefully generate a bit more community engagement and response. Further down the line, I also wonder whether the occasional Patreon episode could casually discuss responses to shows by way of completing the circle, similar to the Duckfeed 'Extrasodes'. I also wonder whether more Q&A type topics or listener questions for the 'casual' Patreon shows would also be interesting and again would hopefully not generate too much significant work.

None of this will be revolutionary or indeed anything you've not already considered, but it's support and enthusiasm for ideas which may be floating around.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Appreciated, Stan.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

In regards to the encouragement of posting, I think a restructuring of the order of the threads may be in order, prioritising the podcast specific threads over the others might be a way to go.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I would definitely agree with that, too. I know there's only so much time in the day but it is might promote the idea that the podcasts are a springboard for further discussion, rather than a line drawn. Right, I'll leave you to do whatever you decide, in any case.