Forum Changelog and Forum Suggestions

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
JaySevenZero
Admin

Forum Changelog and Forum Suggestions

Post by JaySevenZero »

Hey there fellow Caners and Rinsers,

I'm starting this thread to let you know of any changes we make to the forum and to inform you as to any new features such as the mp3 player, with brief explanations as to how they can be used and where you can also ask any questions you may have pertaining to these codes.

It is also where you can put forward your own ideas of what we might consider implementing in order to make it a better forum or perhaps just something you think might be useful.

NEW ADDITIONS

8th September 2012

MP3 BBcode

As some of you may have already noticed there is now an .mp3 code which allows for the embedding of audio .mp3 into posts. However, there are certain criteria for doing so;

The audio will need to hosted somewhere first, here's a LINK to a selection of free audio hosting services.

You might also need to rename your track slightly as this code will not recognise the link if there are any spaces in the title such as like this;

super monkey ball.mp3

it'll need to be like this instead;

super_monkey_ball.mp3

CHANGELOG

14th January 2013

Changed main font from Verdana to Helvetica.

Changed Forum titles and topic titles from Normal font to bold font.

Removed dark grey text shadow behind topic titles and the light grey text shadow behind post text.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Re: Additional forum features & suggestions

Post by JaySevenZero »

We've started to filter in some new alternative emoticons as I've always liked the idea of something a little more related to our favourite pastime, so decided to create some new ones instead - hope you like 'em! :)

They look a little distorted in the group on the right but they are proportioned correctly when posted. :D
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

:D
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Still shows as the overly enthusiastic gurning fella in Tapatalk sadly as that's what the app uses, but I think it's a good move Jay, thanks.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

NokkonWud wrote:Still shows as the overly enthusiastic gurning fella in Tapatalk sadly as that's what the app uses, but I think it's a good move Jay, thanks.
Cheers Karl, I'll look into that as it may be a cache issue or something that could possibly be addressed.
link6616

Post by link6616 »

Would it be at all possible to enable tapatalk support, supposedly (having never done this myself) phpBB can natively do it with only a minor tweak but I have no clue what it is.

(tapatalk is an iOS forum app that can make using forums a lot nice on those gadgets)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I thought we already supported Tapatalk. Jay?
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I've been using tapatalk on my iPhone from day one.
Guy_JD

Post by Guy_JD »

Yep I'm using it right now
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

link6616 wrote:Would it be at all possible to enable tapatalk support, supposedly (having never done this myself) phpBB can natively do it with only a minor tweak but I have no clue what it is.

(tapatalk is an iOS forum app that can make using forums a lot nice on those gadgets)
Apologies for taking a while to respond I missed this when you posted it. We have had Tapatalk support installed from the first week we went live with this forum (just installed the latest update for it this morning).
Sly Reflex

Post by Sly Reflex »

I've been wondering about this since I joined up, but only just noticed this topic due to it being a sticky.

Would it be possible to add other colour schemes or themes? I ask because I had a problem with my eye (I have a recovered detached retina) and some things are hard to look at for any amount of time before it becomes a strain. Different colour options would be a benefit to those who are colourblind too.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

I'm not ignoring you Sly, I wanted to see how easy this would be before I replied.

Me being me I don't want to just install a default theme for people to use I'd want it to have all the same customised icons and tweaks to the code etc. that I've added over the months since we started this forum. Not by any means impossible but there is a bit of work in it so it might take a while for me to sort it.

Is there something specifically that causes you grief with the theme as it is?
Sly Reflex

Post by Sly Reflex »

I think it's the grey background to lettering more than anything. I use many forums and it's only occurred to me once before when it was white text on a dark grey background. In that case they had a skin called "Safe For Work" which just made everything black text on white backgrounds. Boring to look at, but it did it's job.

It's sort of hard to explain, the text sort of buzzes, and while it's OK to read a sentence, reading a paragraph becomes night on impossible without highlighting whatever line I happen to be up to.

Thanks for looking into it, even if nothing can be done I appreciate you taking time to see if anything could be done.
Benjo321

Post by Benjo321 »

Do you ever access the forums on a smartphone or tablet? You might find Tapatalk pretty useful if you do.

I'm colour blind but don't really have any issues with this forum to be honest.
mikeleddy83

Re: Forum Changelog & Forum Suggestions

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Didn't notice the issue earlier but the bold thread titles have personally made the forums much easier on the eye, thanks Jay.
Sly Reflex

Post by Sly Reflex »

Yeah, the bolder text on the thread pages makes it infinitely easier on the eyes. That's a thumbs up from me.
Woodfella

Post by Woodfella »

how do i put an avatar pic up. Every time i try it says too big, too small and it's annoying
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Woodfella wrote:how do i put an avatar pic up. Every time i try it says too big, too small and it's annoying
It has to be 100x100 and in either .jpg .png or .gif format
Beck

Post by Beck »

You can search Google images by size if that's of any use :)
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

There's a basic online version of Photoshop that'll resize images if anyone needs it:
http://www.photoshop.com/tools