Forum Changelog and Forum Suggestions

This is the place where you can confab about all the other stuff besides videogames.
clippa

Re: Forum Changelog and Forum Suggestions

Post by clippa » November 26th, 2019, 3:02 pm

Aw, man, that's a rotter.
I can totally understand the finality there, I think he's realised that no matter how well and stable he is, an internet forum like this is never going to be a positive thing in his life. It's never gonna make his life better.

No reflection on the site or the people, but the medium is such a hideous replica of social interaction that if you're wired a particular way, it can be worse for you than nothing.
The vital ingredients are all missing, it's like the junk food version and it is not good for you.

If you're reading, I hope you get to where you need to be, thirdman, you made the effort with your posts and they were always a joy to read.

Caligulas Horse

Post by Caligulas Horse » November 26th, 2019, 3:09 pm

Since I joined I've really enjoyed reading all of ThirdMan's posts on film and it encouraged me to crack on with films I've been putting off for years. Sending love his way, it sounds like he's doing the right thing for him and I wish him all the best.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » November 26th, 2019, 4:06 pm

I sent him a supportive reply of course, and wished him the very best.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » November 26th, 2019, 4:20 pm

Best of luck to you, TM. Your posts were always a joy to read. I'm sad to see you leave for good but I understand your decision.

I sincerely hope you find the help and the stability you need in the future, wherever you are.

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » November 26th, 2019, 8:15 pm

I’m gutted. He was a great member of the forum and i liked his posts in particular his perspective on some eclectic films.

I’m really sad that he’s gone and I wish him well. I get lots of joy from this forum and all its unique members. We better all start watching some films otherwise the what you’ve been watching thread will fade away!

clippa

Post by clippa » November 26th, 2019, 8:43 pm

I know! Christ, my half arsed "I saw this, this was good, this" posts aren't gonna cut it.
We're gonna have to all bandy together and try to make the thread half readable in his absence.

If anyone can remember what Stanshall brought to the table, we'll have a think about doing that as well ;)

Cwoar, my new dog lead is the absolute business!

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » November 30th, 2019, 9:29 pm

Only just noticed the update to the ThirdMan thing. If he's anything like me, he may well still lurk from time to time to see if anyone responded to his farewell message, and if he does read this, hope you're OK mate. Its been a pleasure talking to you, and I do understand parts of what you're going through. Believe me. If you ever want to talk feel free - alex79uk@googlemail.com

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » January 24th, 2020, 5:50 pm

FYI, just got this notice when I logged in to the forum...

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » January 24th, 2020, 7:49 pm

Odd!

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » February 18th, 2020, 10:47 am

This is obviously not a criticism but the forum seems extremely quiet at the moment. I wonder whether it's because the non-Patreon folk haven't had any shows for a while but seems quite a few regulars have disappeared. It does feel a bit...demotivating.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » February 18th, 2020, 11:41 am

Possibly, although the vast majority of the forum conversation isn’t based around the podcast anyway.

Besides, we’d assume that the majority of forum users are Patreon subscribers - or at least we’d hope so (though we haven’t any plans to make that mandatory).

To be honest, forums were becoming a thing of the past even when we set this one up back in 2012 or thereabouts. Most have been replaced in people’s lives by more immediate and contemporary forms of social media.

We’ve had a number of requests to start a Discord server, as those now get a lot more traffic and engagement than forums. If we do go down that route however it would very likely be a) instead of this forum and b) for $2 per month Patreon subscribers.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » February 18th, 2020, 12:13 pm

ratsoalbion wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 11:41 am
We’ve had a number of requests to start a Discord server, as those now get a lot more traffic and engagement than forums. If we do go down that route however it would very likely be a) instead of this forum
Not quite sure I'm understanding this correctly. Where would that leave the forum regulars and the years' worth of quality posts?

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » February 18th, 2020, 12:16 pm

Nooooo! Please don't kill the form for a Discord channel! I love this forum, it's the only place online and in real life I have to talk about games! Selfish I know, but I do think a Discord channel wouldn't be half as good. It's nice to be able to create threads and read stuff at your own pace and Discord just isn't the same. Personally I've not noticed it seeming any quieter than usual, but then I think it's a nice, reasonably sized community here. I'd much rather fewer people, all of whom I 'know' rather than thousands of random names. I'm not saying it's not good when new people join but if you go on the likes of rllmuk or some big forum it's impossible to keep track of everyone. Don't kill the forum, I'll up my pledge!!

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » February 18th, 2020, 12:23 pm

No plans at the moment, folks - don’t fret.

FemalePheromones

Post by FemalePheromones » February 18th, 2020, 1:05 pm

In my opinion this forum has always been a bit quiet but as Leon said I think that's just the way it is these days. People prefer things like Discord or just Twitter and the like. I come on here every few days to have a look at what's happening but the conversations don't tend to be topics I have anything to bring to.

I used to regularly use a couple of forums in about 2006-2009 and there was always something happening you could get involved with, pretty much non-stop posts but again it's just a sign of the times.

As for the idea of a Discord server I personally wouldn't even bother with it. Not that you should take my opinion as anything meaningful. A forum seems much more open to me where as Discord is more like a chat room isn't it? With people all talking at once rather than a discussion.

Maybe it's just me though and a Discord server might actually end up being really good.

clippa

Post by clippa » February 18th, 2020, 4:18 pm

Thirdman mentioned Gamerswithjobs, I've started posting there just recently. It's really friendly and nicely populated. Not too many folk, not too few, doesn't move too fast or too slow. They even talk about roguelites and wolcen and people actually play on pc, so if I can find people to talk, you lot will have no trouble!

I'm not suggesting a mass migration, just somewhere else to chat also. I like forums much better than discord. The real time chat room style seems to flair up my social anxiety way more and I just can't be doing reading a long list of one line, flippant replies dotted with pictures of seals. I want more meat! Would be fab seeing some familiar faces popping up :D

I was even considering resuscitating the shmup thread and seeing what would happen.

Don't swear! I don't think you're allowed. Get all your cuntfuckerwillybuggers out of your system before you click - https://www.gamerswithjobs.com/forum/10111

FemalePheromones

Post by FemalePheromones » February 18th, 2020, 7:26 pm

clippa wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 4:18 pm
The real time chat room style seems to flair up my social anxiety way more and I just can't be doing reading a long list of one line, flippant replies dotted with pictures of seals.
I know how you feel. I'm in a 14 person whatsapp group and that's way more than enough for me.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » February 18th, 2020, 8:26 pm

clippa wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 4:18 pm
Thirdman mentioned Gamerswithjobs, I've started posting there just recently.
Had a look, but the forum layout really puts me off. No links at the tops of the page, and no easy way of quickly checking which threads have been replied to since your last visit. Just seems a couple of glaring QoL omissions. Seems like a nice enough place though, but shallow as it sounds, the forum itself irritated me enough after five minutes that I couldn't use it for very long.

Suits

Post by Suits » February 18th, 2020, 9:36 pm

FemalePheromones wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 7:26 pm
I know how you feel. I'm in a 14 person whatsapp group and that's way more than enough for me.
Over a year ago now I pretty much left all the big messages groups I had with pals.

I just explained that I was sick of constantly 100+ messages every time I opened my phone.

Everyone understood and I have such better conversations now with people over text because of it, as it’s one to one.

Do it.

FemalePheromones

Post by FemalePheromones » February 18th, 2020, 9:40 pm

To be fair people hardly use it anymore but the memories of how bad it got are still pretty fresh.