Anyone else making music using Sonar/Logic etc?

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
SpoonSix

Anyone else making music using Sonar/Logic etc?

Post by SpoonSix »

Wizard of Odd made a post a while ago of band videos here
I'm unable to play the guitar and lack the talent of Mr. Odd and Chi but really enjoy composing and I was wondering if anyone else makes music using Sonar, Logic etc or any other DAW?

I'm working on getting some new music out before xmas.
Will be a free download for anyone that may be interested 8-)

Got to get some mixing down done, but here are some rough cuts meanwhile. Some cheesy, some glitchy. Enjoy!

New one added Nov 2nd ;)

JaySevenZero
Admin

Re: Anyone else making music using Sonar/Logic etc?

Post by JaySevenZero »

You might want to try those links again Si as they don't appear to be working at this end.
SpoonSix

Post by SpoonSix »

JaySevenZero wrote:You might want to try those links again Si as they don't appear to be working at this end.
edit. All working again now, it seems :) New tunes to be uploaded soon
PressEscToExit

Post by PressEscToExit »

Really like your stuff! Sounds WAY more professional than the crap I churn out. What software/hardware do you use?

I like to mess around with DAWs but I'm an absolute novice when it comes to sound production. Really don't know how to fill space (if that makes sense) and tbh most of my sessions just end up with me cycling through the presets on a VST while mashing C major.

The stuff I end up with is usually very short and badly mixed. Keep those expectations nice and low:

A friend wanted some fake DVD menu music for a scene in his film. Sent him this - http://soundcloud.com/peterkeir/ethereal-guff

This one was a brief demo/idea intended for a rock band that never happened. Not really my style of music but I wanted to get back into playing live - http://soundcloud.com/peterkeir/test1

Pretty sure you can see what I mean about my production skills :lol: I often get frustrated and give up at the idea stage.
SpoonSix

Post by SpoonSix »

Hey thanks, Press
I use Sonar ver. 8.5 with a couple of VSTs. I use Stylus RMX, Omnisphere, Dimension Pro, Rapture and Reaktor Session.
I used to have many more vsts but ditched all my *ahem* dodgy ones and bought the above and am more than satisfied with them 8-)

Your track ethereal-guff ( :lol: ) actually reminded me a little of of my favourite groups, Stars of the Lid 8-) and test1 needs to be finished! Sounding really good!

I know what you mean about filling space in tracks.
I find that a subtle arp or bed of strings can really help.

I still have far too many tracks that I start, think 'I'll come back to that one day' and never do.

One way of helping to change this habit for me was to become a member of the website KVR http://www.kvraudio.com/ which holds monthly music competitions.
The competitions have a theme (often chosen by previous month's winner) and a limit of 3 minutes to do your thing to. People of all levels join in (often over 20 entries are posted) and you can win yourself some new software (top 5 get a prize), some listeners and get some great advice.
I found that having a proper theme to work to and a time limit really helps. Give it a shot! (heh, just noticed this month's theme is drums/percussion and no melody :o :lol: - maybe try next month? :D )

Otherwise, post something in the Music Cafe there (preferably after listening to and commenting on some other members' tracks).
You're bound to get some good feedback.

Alternatively, post some more of your stuff on this thread and give us a listen 8-)
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

I used to play around with Cubase and Reason in a rewire configuration. I found it a very flexible and powerful set up, as you are basically using Reason as a sound module that you can feed into any midi track. I never liked Reason's sequencing, so using them together like that seemed a nice way to use all the sounds from it and also easily record guitar/vocals in one place.

I bought an Oxygen49 keyboard a few years back, but it always felt like it had a slight latency with my setup which drove me insane, and I just felt so disappointed I stopped. I spend too much time with work fixing computers to start down that road :(

I've recently found Garage Band on the iPad good fun to mess around with, but really it has just made me wish my setup had actually worked. Maybe I'll plug it all back in and see if it has magically fixed itself.

I'm also in the 'can't finish a song' club. Maybe if I get things working I'll try and join in with some competitions :)
PressEscToExit

Post by PressEscToExit »

Yeah I have big problems with latency on my keyboard set-up too, so I tend to get more work done on less structured stuff. Also lack any means to fiddle with loops, EQs and effects in real time, which is hugely limiting when I want to do anything with more of a club sound to it. Really ought to invest in a Kaos pad or something, I guess.
SpoonSix

Post by SpoonSix »

Yeh, unless you have a pretty decent sound card latency can be horrible. What are you chaps using?
Also have you tried playing around with the Korg stuff released on DS/DSi?
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

I'm using a Line6 UX2, it has full ASIO drivers and the audio stuff is spot on, so I don't know what the issue is. I like amp modelling and vocal preamp on it, so I don't really want to change it.
SpoonSix

Post by SpoonSix »

Hey Joe, Just wondering if you ever tried the asio4all drivers with that setup?
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

Thanks, that looks interesting. So I just install those as well as the existing drivers I have on there from my Line6?
SpoonSix

Post by SpoonSix »

Yeh, I don't think they'll interfere- then just select them instead of the ASIO driver's you're using. Worth a shot!
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

Definitely, thanks for the idea. Quite excited to plug it all back in now and give them a whirl. I've set aside a couple of hours tomorrow to try and fix my latency problem, I shall report back! :D
General Aquila

Post by General Aquila »

Well I'm making do with a basic GarageBand until i find the cash to get a Reason set up at the very least. Great tracks Spoon!
SpoonSix

Post by SpoonSix »

Hey, thanks, General 8-)

Never had a play with Garageband but I've heard some good things about it.
Let's hear some of your stuff!

Trying for a videogame vibe with this one just finished this evening 8-)
Mixing on headphones so might need some tweaking in the next couple of days and I'm not sure about the choice of synth sound for that last part :|
Title screen dreaming
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

I like the new track Spoon, very crisp and clean 8-)

So, I've spent pretty much the whole weekend messing around with my setup, and things have changed!

I've dumped Cubase. I had a very old version of their Elements version (before it became Elements actually). I read a lot of people complaining of the same problem I had which was midi recording early in Cubase. So I tried their latest Elements on trial to see if it worked better, but exactly the same problem. I tried various driver configurations, but as there was no difference I figured I could just be fighting an up hill battle and maybe there was just something about my system that didn't get on with Cubase.

After quite a bit of research I found Repear. It's a very low cost DAW (if you don't get the pro license), but supports VST and ReWire which are the two things I would need. One I got it up and running I found that the midi was better, and coupled with the ASIO 4 ALL drivers, I seem to be pretty much on track! THANK YOU!

So far I really like Reaper, and it seems very fully featured, so I think I will buy it over the next few days once I've fully had a go with the trial.

Just wondered if I could pick your brains? I've not used a lot of VST instruments before. I've downloaded a few free synths that seem quite good, but I just wondered where you start making a beat? I've used Reason for that in the past, but wondered if a change might help inspire some new songs...
PressEscToExit

Post by PressEscToExit »

SpoonSix wrote:Title screen dreaming
Lovely stuff! Sounds like Leftfield guesting on the Ape Escape soundtrack :mrgreen:
SpoonSix

Post by SpoonSix »

magicjoef wrote:I like the new track Spoon, very crisp and clean 8-)

That's great news about you getting things up and running 8-)
I've heard some really good things abut Reaper. I hope it works out for you :D

As for making a beat...it depends how much you want to spend ;)
A few years ago, desperate for the same thing, I took the (rather expensive) plunge and bought Stylus RMX Xpanded and it is fucking amazing.
The most recent track I have posted above just uses one vanilla loop from the library. I could have an additional 7 tracks playing other things at the same time (in one instance of Stylus RMX).
I could take ONE beat of the loop I posted and just have that one beat of the loop reversed, delayed etc. (using the built-in FX) while the rest of the loop stays as it is.

It also has some great single hits/kits that you can use to make your own drum loops etc. The reviews on that amazon link are just as gushing :D
I find it incredibly inspiring. 8-)
SpoonSix

Post by SpoonSix »

PressEscToExit wrote:
SpoonSix wrote:Title screen dreaming
Lovely stuff! Sounds like Leftfield guesting on the Ape Escape soundtrack :mrgreen:
Haha! :D Thanks! Please post some more of your stuff when you can!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I haven't used Logic, and it's been a few years since I was making music on PC but I used to use Fruity Loops, Acid and Reason a lot. Don't even know if those packages are still being updated. Ah actually thinking about it Fruity Loops definitely is as I used it las year to try to make some Dubstep. Didn't really turn out too well haha.