Windows 8??

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Guy_JD

Windows 8??

Post by Guy_JD »

Anyone using windows 8 yet?

How does it work with Steam/Origin/GFWL?

Unfortunately because of the nature of my job I have to keep up to date with the latest offerings from Microsoft. I've postponed switching my home computer to it for as long as I can but it looks like I'm going to need to make the switch at home before the end of the month, just wondering if it's going to cause issues with my gaming.

If it comes to it I'll build a new pc for the sole purpose of running it but obviously that's going to cost me.

Answers and experiences welcome
Roy42

Re: Windows 8??

Post by Roy42 »

I've heard no outcry of people who cannot use a digital games service on it, so I have to assume they aren't affected negatively. Regardless, I'm not going to upgrade; have no need to yet.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

I haven't used it either, but it looks like a slightly refined Windows 7 with a tablet layer chucked on top, so I think most stuff will work just fine.

I think your main issue would have been drivers for your hardware, but they are probably already sorted by now.
countstex

Post by countstex »

You can still get to the main desktop and it's the same OS underneath so it should all work, you'll just have yo get though the Metro stuff every time you boot up. It brings nothing yo the table for me so I won't upgrade. Thankfully Win 7 should be supported well into 2016 at least and by then Valve may have gotten to a place where Linux can replace Windows as the default PC gaming platform. (I can dream anyway)
Benjo321

Post by Benjo321 »

I've been using Windows 8. No issues with any games after doing an upgrade from 7. It does take a while to get used to the new UI but it's not that bad really. I did have my reservations about the new start screen but I think once a few more useful apps get published, a traditional desktop screen may become a rare sight!
Guy_JD

Post by Guy_JD »

Just a quick update on this, most games I have do work on Windows 8, I did have a lot of issues to start but once I'd investigated a little I found that you need to make sure DirectX and dot.net framework are up to date, which they are not on 8 out of the box
countstex

Post by countstex »

Odd they are not essential updates then.
Guy_JD

Post by Guy_JD »

they are in the essential updates list but I didn't bother with windows update until I ran into problems