The Film Recommendation Thread

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Electric Crocosaurus

Re: The Film Recommendation Thread

Post by Electric Crocosaurus »

Scrustle wrote:I got the DVD of the Final Cut. Looking up all the different versions was pretty interesting, actually. I had seen the film one time before on iPlayer, and after doing some poking around it seems that was the Final Cut too. I was unaware of all the different versions back then though.
One of the things I love is that each version has its own merits and downsides. The original version has the much derided voice-over from Deckard, but it's also the most ambiguous about whether he's a replicant or not, meaning you get a nice conflict between Deckard (the emotionless 'human') and Batty (the emotional robot).

The Director's Cut inserts the unicorn dream sequence, which essentially destroys any ambiguity about Deckard's origins. And while the Final Cut looks incredible (I was astounded by the clean-up job they did on it) it also adds in that weird glow to some of the replicants' eyes that is a little too on the nose for me.
Buckled Kipper

Post by Buckled Kipper »

Quick heads up for anyone interested. Ben Wheatley (kill List, Sightseers) has a new film coming out today which is called A Field In England and is getting a simultaneous release on cinema, blu ray, vod and even Filmfour tonight at 10.30.

It looks trippy as hell, and I for one can't wait.
Doggett

Post by Doggett »

Electric Crocosaurus wrote:
it also adds in that weird glow to some of the replicants' eyes that is a little too on the nose for me.
Which kinda makes the whole testing thing redundant. They could save a lot of bother just by shining a light around the pupils and seeing if anything glows back.
Simple, really.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Pacific Rim

Wow!

Just WOW! :D

Cannot wait to get my hands on the BD release as del Toro always packs them with commentaries and extras.
Buckled Kipper

Post by Buckled Kipper »

JaySevenZero wrote:Pacific Rim

Wow!

Just WOW! :D

Cannot wait to get my hands on the BD release as del Toro always packs them with commentaries and extras.
Not able to see it till tomorrow due to work, and the wait is killing me.

Del Toro is up there with Kubrick & Gilliam among my three favourite directors.
kappisun

Post by kappisun »

Watched Chronicle last night. Really interesting take on the super power genre. Anyone else seen it?
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

I thought Chronicle was awesome when I saw it.

I went and saw Despicable Me 2 last weekend, after watching the first film literally right before heading to the cinema. The first one was great and the sequel was merely good. Could've done with a little less minion humour. And it was hilarious how the second movie has literally the exact same ending as the first movie. But in the bad way.
Buckled Kipper

Post by Buckled Kipper »

After being somewhat disappointed with the films I saw last month (hello Star Trek), this month has been a belter so far.

A Field In England - Film of the year so far for me. It certainly wont be everyone's cup of tea, but for me its nigh on perfect. A proper mind bending English folk horror film.

Pacific Rim - Despite being a massive Del Toro fan I wasn't quite sure what I made of this on first viewing. The overall tone of the film seems quite jarring at first, but on second viewing I just let myself go with it and enjoyed the hell out of it. Love this film and can't wait to see it on blu ray.

Only God Forgives - Biggest surprise of the lot for me as this had truly awful word of mouth. However, I'm happy to report that its a brooding beast of a film with lashings of the old ultra violence. Probably early to say, but for me it's even better than Drive (though very different).
registradus

Post by registradus »

City Of Lost Children
Devil's Backbone
Children Of Men
[Rec]
Dark City
Let The Right One In
Daybreakers
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Pacific rim was pretty great.
CountFosco

Post by CountFosco »

Is this recommend any film or just new releases?

If you've not seen the British coming-of-age drama BROKEN yet, I urge you to do so. Screen acting debut of young actress Eloise Laurence is amazing and for a first feature, director, Rufus Norris has crafted an impressively authentic and emotionally resonant tale about interconnecting lives on a typical suburban street. My film of the year so far.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

CountFosco wrote:Is this recommend any film or just new releases?
Any film, old and new.
CountFosco

Post by CountFosco »

Cool :)
Dante Fireseed

Post by Dante Fireseed »

Recently watched Sophie Scholl, very moving German film and Zero Dark Thirty, which was also very good and well recommended.
Electric Crocosaurus

Post by Electric Crocosaurus »

Got around to watching Argo yesterday (I always seem to watch the Best Oscar winners late) and I'm pleased to say that it lived up to (most of) the hype. It was clearly destined to win the Oscar: hot topic themes, true story, Hollywood in-jokes, held together by a seventies-vibed thriller. I don't know if I'd call it the best picture of 2012-13 (Life of Pi holds that post for me as an astonishing creative and technical accomplishment) but as an intelligent thriller it still makes for great entertainment.

Really makes me wish those Ben Affleck to direct a Justice League / Superman and Batman film rumours had turned out to be true. I think his proven skill at directing grounded drama with exciting set pieces would have made for a really interesting film.
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

Boy, that Pacific Rim is some good, dumb action. The kind of thing that the Bay Transformers movies clearly wanted to get, except this time it actually succeeds.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Only God Forgives - A stylised, violent drama which despite several viewings leaves me cold with almost zero empathy for any of the characters within this movie.

Byzantium - A well-realised modern take on a vampire story set mostly in Hastings and is a welcome return to form for Neil Jordan. Somehow - and this is mostly because of its cinematography, not so much the story - I felt it had a similar vibe to that of Let The Right One In. It was also interesting to note that the budget was a paltry (in movie terms) £8 million.

Cannibal Holocaust - Despite watching most of what was classed as "video nasties" back in the early 80's, this one passed me by until now. Despite its age and slightly dodgy effects, it was interesting to see how much influence it has had on the horror genre since its release in 1981 with the likes of Blair Witch and the recent Trollhunter taking their cue from this cult movie did over 30 years ago.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I don't really know anything about Only God Forgives, except that there's quite a buzz about it. But I saw an interesting take on it from this guy who does a bunch of good movie reviews:

But the way you describe it reminds me of my reaction to Black Swan. I really disliked that. All the characters were just horrible people doing horrible things to each other. But it differs in the stylishness though. While I thought the dance scenes were really well shot, most of the film looked pretty crap to me.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Only God Forgives bares more in common with Refn's earlier film Valhalla Rising, which also had a very similar tone as OGF. I'm not necessarily a fan of his love for almost somnambulistic characters in his films, that said, it has a cracking, pure-bitch performance by Kristen Scott-Thomas so is worth a watch for her alone.

I should stress that I don't think of it as a bad film, only that I thought Drive was better.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

I saw we're the millers yesterday. Not bad at all, as long as you don't expect the height of sophisticated comedy.