The Film Recommendation Thread

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Roy42

Re: The Film Recommendation Thread

Post by Roy42 »

They're yonks old, but I only just saw Flash Gordon and A Clockwork Orange over the weekend. Both are amazing pieces of cinema that should pretty much be required viewing.
Buckled Kipper

Post by Buckled Kipper »

Went to see a special 35mm showing of 2001 A Space Odysee in Truro hosted by Mark Kermode last night. Forgot what great a film this is as i haven't seen it since the eighties, and seeing it on such a brilliant print on the big screen was pretty damn awesome.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I watched Oblivion on Friday night, it's a very standard Tom Cruise Sci-Fi fare. The story isn't told very well but if you fancy a film that doesn't tax your brain too much then jump in.
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

I'm on a mission to watch all the old James Bond films; started with Dr. No last night.

The thing that sticks out to me the most is that my brother-in-law was right: they use the theme music way too much. Basically every time he walked into a room for any reason until the third act, the theme music kicked in.

Aside from that, it was fun. I don't have the context of the entire Bond saga, so I don't really have much more of an opinion than that.
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

And now I've watched From Russia With Love.

Of all the things that stand out to me about that film, the most affronting is that they made a PS2 game of FRWL (that I'm looking at a copy of right now), in spite of the fact that the film had maybe five action scenes total. Now more than anything I'm just curious to see what the game looks like. So much of the film is spy antics, not action, and it would seem like a shame to just forgo that in cutscenes.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

I've been watching a fair number of movies over the last few weeks (most of them terrible) but the few that stuck in my head which I can genuinely recommend are:

Wild at Heart (1990)
Elephant (2003)
The Place Beyond The Pines (2012)
Star Trek Into Darkness (2013)

All were great movies but Elephant sticks out so I'm going on a journey back to older Gus Van Sant movies to watch To Die For for the first time in years and to finally see Drugstore Cowboy.
Ashguyver

Post by Ashguyver »

Antiviral is on netflix at the mo and made by Cronenberg Jnr, think pharmaceutical videodrome

Also "detention" is another crazy one

A couple of crazy Asian movies i saw recently were "dead sushi" and "Gozu" and it's slightly older but an amazing take on Zombies is "Versus" (best to watch in subtitles, the English dub is shite)
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

So Goldfinger was great, but seeing how much was in it that is a part of James Bond in pop-culture, I have to ask: Are the rest of the films really that forgettable that 90% of what most people know James Bond to be comes from this one movie?
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Everyone has different and favourite Bonds depending on memories etc. I love the Dalton Bond films as they are the darkest until Craigs.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I'm sure the reasons for Goldfinger being perhaps the archetypal Bond movie are manifold, but it probably comes down to zeitgeist. Certainly a lot of bland to downright crap Bond films were yet to come though.
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

ratsoalbion wrote:Certainly a lot of bland to downright crap Bond films were yet to come though.
Can't wait for those, then.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

mikeleddy83 wrote:... and to finally see Drugstore Cowboy.
I love that film. I had a massive Italian one-sheet for that movie for years and it has some great casting such as the late, great William S. Burroughs as Tom the priest.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

So I got past my hatred for Sandra Bullock and went to see Gravity and boy im glad I did this movie is great!And when it comes to movies depicting space I think this one just might beat all the others I've seen(except maybe 2001),it's terrifically shot and very well paced making you stay on the edge of your seat the whole way through it's also not very long so it doesnt overstay it's welcome,if I had one nitpick it would be that the story is very what you would call by-the books but it's very well executed so go watch it!Oh,I hate myself for saying it but try to see it in 3D it really adds to the movie I think.
PlexShaw

The Film Recommendation Thread

Post by PlexShaw »

Why would anyone hate Sandra Bullock? She's lovely, even if she has appeared in some terrible films.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

She's wonderful, I love her :(
Tony1979na

Post by Tony1979na »

October is my favorite month for movie watching. If your the horror fan or just like something macabe and bizzare I have two films that I recently just watched.

Sleepaway Camp (1983) I just watched this movie last night, and if you have never seen it the entire movie is posted on Youtube. Craziest twist ending ever. If you haven't watched Sleepaway Camp, then you need to watch Sleepaway Camp.

House (1977) Let's see you have a demon house, a piano that eats you like those mimic trunks in Dark Souls. And weird scenes about chopping wood and water melons. Also, everybody dies, and thats not a spoiler. House is a true art house classic.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Well you can Blame my mother for making me watch every single Sandra Bullock/Nicole Kidman/Julia Robert movie in my childhood,most of them werent that good tihs also made me hate the entire romantic comedy genre too,from the lot I disliked her movies the most and im not even sure why maybe was because of her laughter it made me feel like someone was laughting at my pain!But I got say she's great in Gravity so much so that I forgot that Sandra Bullock was the main chartacter until the credits rolled.
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

My city's film festival is coming up across the next couple of weeks; I'm seeing eleven films, if I remember correctly. I'll let you guys know if any of them are worth seeing.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Finnaly managed to see Yojimbo and Sanjuro both really good and fun to watch the fight scenes look a bit goofy nowadays but they were still enjoyable it has to be said though that Mifune's perfomance it's what really makes these two movies,through body language alone he gives life to the character and he's so fun to watch too,my next Kurosawa movies to watch will be Rashomon and Dersu Uzala which is a joint japanese-soviet production entirely in russian so it should be interesting to see.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Yojimbo is possible my favourite Kurosawa film, Mifune is a legend!