The Film Recommendation Thread

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Electric Crocosaurus

Re: The Film Recommendation Thread

Post by Electric Crocosaurus »

RoboticMonk3y wrote:Have you seen/heard of the shining being played forwards and backwards at the same time? I don't recall if it was one of the mad-cap things mentioned in room 237, but a copy of the film running backwards is superimposed over the top of the film playing forwards, and there are lots of scenes and objects that appear to sync up and be framed perfectly.
Yep, that's covered in Room 237. A lot of it seems very coincidental, but I think it's testament to Kubrick's attention to detail that you do find yourself wondering if it was planned. Things like Jack Nicholson's head overlapping itself, so it looks as though he has a Hitler moustache.

There's also a great segment where they talk about the changes Kubrick made to Stephen King's source material. There are some who believe (and I think I have to agree) that when the Torrences drive past a smashed red VW beetle it's a big f-u from Kubrick to King (in the novel the Torrences drive a red beetle, while in the film it's a yellow one).
Buckled Kipper

Post by Buckled Kipper »

I'm a massive Kubrick fan, but have yet to watch this. Must correct that.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

I dont know how many of you are fans of westerns but I've found out an great deal of communist made western movies from the cold war they all sound pretty cool I recommend you search for Red westerns if you are curious but especially go see this one: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066565/ =D
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Speaking of Kubrick, I recently bought a copy of A Clockwork Orange. Always wanted to see it, but now I have it I'm kind of hesitant to watch it. I hear it's got some really heavy stuff in it. Most stuff I can handle, even enjoy, but there is a line that I draw. I hear there's rape in the film, and I really find it hard watching rape scenes. Ever since the one in This Is England '86 I've found myself really put off by any kind of rape scene. Also put me off watching This Is England '88 too. But I'm sure I'll get around to A Clockwork Orange soon enough.

I also recently got Blade Runner. Fantastic film. I really love the mood of it. The visual effects are stunning too. I really like effects that come from the period of when this film was made. Just before CG became a major thing, and practical effects were at their peak. It looks far more impressive and convincing than most CG in my opinion, and I'm not the type of person who hates on CG at all.

I generally don't have a problem with it, except when it's badly done or overused. I think the best use of it I've seen has actually been from Guillermo Del Toro, with the way he mixes practical effects and CG. Because the practical effects he uses tend to look so strange and removed from normal reality anyway, the subtle changes he makes to them with CG are more or less imperceptible. There's nothing quite like it, and it looks amazing.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

The rape scene in A Clockwork Orange, whilst I guess it was potent imagery in 1971, is relatively tame compared to what has been shown in more recent years. For myself, there has only ever been one film that I found so disturbing in what it depicted, that I actually considered leaving the screening and that was Gaspar Noe's Irreversible.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

So what films have people walked out of? For me only one 1999's drop dead gorgeous starring Denise Richards. Awful film with a stupid amount of twists and after about the 10th I got up and left.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Never walked out of a film, but I watched Hackers with a friend once which I just couldn't stand. He likes the film, but I thought it was just so stupid right from the start I couldn't watch it all the way through.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

never walked out on a film, but I fell asleep in Enigma, and Ali
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

DomsBeard wrote:So what films have people walked out of? For me only one 1999's drop dead gorgeous starring Denise Richards. Awful film with a stupid amount of twists and after about the 10th I got up and left.
Lier Lier was so bad I curled up into a little ball and put my coat over my head and had a really good sleep. seams the best part of the film was the out takes at the end!
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

I've never left the cinema early, but it crossed my mind in Avatar. Gloomy 3D and seven hours long!
PlexShaw

Post by PlexShaw »

DomsBeard wrote:So what films have people walked out of? For me only one 1999's drop dead gorgeous starring Denise Richards. Awful film with a stupid amount of twists and after about the 10th I got up and left.
I clearly watched a different film to you...
Electric Crocosaurus

I've never walked out of a film in the cinema, but I recently stopped watching 'The Five Year Engagement' on Blu-Ray because it was truly terrible. I try to add the odd rom-com to my Lovefilm list to keep my girlfriend happy, and as it starred Jason Segel and Emily Blunt (who is on my 'wishful thinking top three list' of celebrities I'm allowed to sleep with if I meet them) I thought it would at least be watchable. Schindler's List probably has more laughs.

Scrustle, which version of Blade Runner did you watch? It's my favourite film, so I'm always interested to hear about how people experienced it for the first time.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

PlexShaw wrote:
I clearly watched a different film to you...
I'm getting confused with that other film she did when she had the threesome with Neve Campbell which was just as bad.
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

Wild things is a top film, and not just for the aforementioned threesome
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Electric Crocosaurus wrote: Scrustle, which version of Blade Runner did you watch? It's my favourite film, so I'm always interested to hear about how people experienced it for the first time.
I got the DVD of the Final Cut. Looking up all the different versions was pretty interesting, actually. I had seen the film one time before on iPlayer, and after doing some poking around it seems that was the Final Cut too. I was unaware of all the different versions back then though.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I saw Behind The Candelabra this evening, wonderful.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Just saw Man Of Steel for the 2nd time, still absolutely love it!!.
Electric Crocosaurus

DomsBeard wrote:Just saw Man Of Steel for the 2nd time, still absolutely love it!!.
I saw it on Tuesday, and while there was a lot to like it ultimately left me feeling cold. I was on board for about the first hour and a bit, but once the threat started to kick in the film turned into more of a dumb action CGI-fest (apart from one major decision right at the end, which definitely counts as a spoiler and won't be ruined by me).

I thought Kevin Costner was superb though. I could have just watched a film about him dishing out life advice to young Clark.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I really enjoyed the action stuff and agree Costner is brilliant in it. One grumble for me was that the product placement was embarrassing at times. Wonder how much that cost Ihop/Nokia/Nikkon/Sears?.
Spoiler: show
I noticed a Lexcorp nod both times but I missed a Wayne Enterprises sign I've heard rumours about
Buckled Kipper

Post by Buckled Kipper »

JaySevenZero wrote:The rape scene in A Clockwork Orange, whilst I guess it was potent imagery in 1971, is relatively tame compared to what has been shown in more recent years. For myself, there has only ever been one film that I found so disturbing in what it depicted, that I actually considered leaving the screening and that was Gaspar Noe's Irreversible.
Irreversible is a real hard watch. I made it to the end but it took me to my limits.

Watched West Of Memphis last night which is a fantastic documentary. A story of truly shocking injustice.