Whatcha Been Watching?

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
dezm0nd

Re: Whatcha Been Watching?

Post by dezm0nd »

Watched the first two episodes of true detective season 3.

Its got me hooked!
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Within the realms of better-late-than-never, I finally caught up with the most recent Ghostbusters, and I gotta say I really enjoyed it.

If there are two genre's that generate very subjective responses, it's horror and comedy. Everyone has different fears, and everyone has different comedy tastes, so while there are things you can objectively critique in Ghostbusters, it's either going to be to you individual sensibilities or not.

And the most odd thing of all? I did not feel insecure or threatened by the female-centric direction of this movie. It did not make me angry in anyway whatsoever, even as a person how likes the previous two films. So clearly, something is wrong with me. I will be checking myself into a clinic, and hopefully, hopefully... I can return to the asshole-centric world of online trolling...

Pray for me.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I thought Ghostbusters 2016 was a rather sloppy mess, but I didn't hate it. Strong cast who were probably allowed to riff too much (or at least, the director/editor left too much of the riffing in).

However, the idea of being threatened by such an innocuous thing is hilarious isn't it? The original, sweary, smoky, practical effect and male-centric original classic (and that not nearly so classic sequel) still exists, apart from anything else.
Joshihatsumitsu

I think it helps to watch that movie with a little bit of whisky in the system... it is definitely a hit and miss experience, but I had fun. When Kevin (Chris Hemsworth) revels that he removed the glass from his glasses because they kept getting dirty... it's stupid, and I love it!

And the recent reveal of another all-male Ghostbusters sequel, is indeed, a dick move. As much as things change, things stay the same... :roll:
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

If you haven't seen Titans yet I would recommend after finishing season one.

The final episode came out of nowhere and is probably one of my favourite if not number 1 ''superhero'' tv episodes I have ever seen.

Need season 2 immediately
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

After avoiding it for so long because hype irritates me, we finally started watching Luther. Well, it really is excellent.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Alex79uk wrote: January 29th, 2019, 8:35 pm After avoiding it for so long because hype irritates me, we finally started watching Luther. Well, it really is excellent.
Really excellent. It’s perfectly formed and doesn’t outstay it’s welcome (the opposite in fact).
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Alex79uk wrote: January 29th, 2019, 8:35 pm After avoiding it for so long because hype irritates me, we finally started watching Luther. Well, it really is excellent.
I enjoyed season 1 of Luther but in seasons 2 and 3 there seemed to be situations that either the criminal or victims do something unbelievably stupid that made me and my wife stop taking it seriously. Think along the lines of teen horror movies
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

Been working my way though the Netflix marvel shows and have just finished session two of iron fist. Way better then the first but seeing the cliffhangers and teasers for the next session is a bitter pill to swallow knowing that there seem to be no more going to be made.

Having a brake from marvel due to session two of Star Trek discovery. Maintains the quality of the first session , and kicks off with an intriguing mystery.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

DomsBeard wrote: January 30th, 2019, 10:23 am
I enjoyed season 1 of Luther but in seasons 2 and 3 there seemed to be situations that either the criminal or victims do something unbelievably stupid that made me and my wife stop taking it seriously. Think along the lines of teen horror movies
Oh yeah there are plenty of 'why didn't they just...' moments, can't argue with that!
hamster_with_9lives

Post by hamster_with_9lives »

I am waiting for Alita: Battle Angel. Really want it to appear in cinemas even sooner than possible.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I am finding Punisher season 2 very, very slow going (I am 4 episodes in).
Joshihatsumitsu

ThirdMan wrote: February 1st, 2019, 10:36 amThe Lego Batman Movie - This was the best movie starring Batman since The Dark Knight, which is kind of depressing when you think about it.
I also had a blast with this movie! Dare I say that Will Arnett is fast becoming my favourite actor to portray Bruce Wayne/Batman. But then, I do have a soft spot for Adam West, so there's some context for my tastes!
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

hamster_with_9lives wrote: January 31st, 2019, 12:53 pm I am waiting for Alita: Battle Angel. Really want it to appear in cinemas even sooner than possible.
Me too! Been an avid reader since the English language version first appeared and still have the first dozen monthly comics that were released by Viz media back in the day, along with every single collected volume right through to the latest Mars Chronicles volumes.

Given that this has been a passion project for Cameron since the late 90's, I'm kinda hopeful they've done it justice and based on the previews and trailers it seems they nailed so much of it with Polygon saying it's the best manga adaptation to date (although there's not much in the way of competition).
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

The big CG eyes thing looks really silly imo, but I guess you’ll get used to it.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I just watched Blackkklansman. It's a great movie, but it definitely made my skin crawl a few times. The end codas made me want to punch a hole in the wall, but I refrained.

Also, I saw Bohemian Rhapsody over the weekend. It's...fine? I would probably prefer watching a documentary on Queen and Mercury, and just watch the live performances themselves.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

ThirdMan wrote: February 1st, 2019, 10:36 am
X-Men: Days of Future Past
- A pleasant surprise. Definitely one of the better X films. It's a shame that the franchise has had to suffer so many average adaptations because the underlying themes of discrimination and individual expression are amongst Marvel's best.
I'm not looking to fight about this, but I'd say that only Last Stand, X-Men Origins, and Apocalypse are bad (and I tend to enjoy Apocalypse, despite itself). Out of 9 films (11 if you want to bring Deadpool into the mix), that's a pretty decent hit rate. To each their own, though.
ThirdMan wrote: February 1st, 2019, 10:36 am
Batman - How has it taken me until 2018 to watch this, the original big budget Bat flick? Nicholson's Joker is, for me, the definitive live-action portrayal (Mark Hamill's is still the finest across the entire franchise). Ledger's was a superb, contemporary villain, but Nicholson and Burton draw long and deep from the source material.
This does blow my mind. Do you still need to watch the three that followed?
Joshihatsumitsu

Bohemian Rhapsody does not appeal to me at all, and not just because of the whole Byran Singer connection... ugh. There are a few decent Queen documentaries floating around out there, and I think the one I saw a while ago was Queen: Days of Our Lives... but I could be wrong...

One movie I did watch recently was The Green Inferno, and it is very much an Eli Roth movie, more for worse than better. One of my first thoughts was that it's a pretty ugly looking movie, in that it has a very flat made-for-TV look to it, and not cinematic at all. Considering it's not in the sub-genre of found-footage, there was little reason for it to look the way it did.

Roth's inspiration in very much Cannibal Holocaust, a DVD I still have in my collection (because I bought it when I was young and hungry for the weird and wonderful fringes), and for all the issues I have with Cannibal Holocaust, at least it has the courage of it's demented and misguided convictions. It doesn't want your friendship, and it doesn't care if you like it. The Green Inferno does more often than not pulls it's punches, or goes very frat-boy humour, and apart from one pretty decent "centre-piece" is fairly standard stuff.

So, if you want to watch something that goes "all-the-way", something that'll stick in your psyche forever, go for Cannibal Holocaust. If you want a pale imitation of a movie than aimed to truely provoke and disturb, go for The Green Inferno, It has less calories and flavour, and is powerfully mediocre!
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

ThirdMan wrote: February 3rd, 2019, 11:59 pm Batman & Robin is now the only one on my Dark Knight bucket list.
Aren’t bucket lists supposed to be for good things ;)

It’s incredibly campy and as long as you go in with the lowest of expectations it’s a bit of fun.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Simonsloth wrote: February 4th, 2019, 7:14 am
ThirdMan wrote: February 3rd, 2019, 11:59 pm Batman & Robin is now the only one on my Dark Knight bucket list.
Aren’t bucket lists supposed to be for good things ;)

It’s incredibly campy and as long as you go in with the lowest of expectations it’s a bit of fun.
Worth it purely for Arnie's one liners and Uma only