Whatcha Been Watching?

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Joshihatsumitsu

Re: Whatcha Been Watching?

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Prospect is had been on my radar for a while... I forgot about it until it turned up quietly on Netflix. Must get to it.

Because I'm far behind on my Marvel movies, I skipped Endgame and decided to see Detective Pikachu instead.

I don't have the baggage of life-long-hardcore Pokemon fan, and gotta say, I really enjoyed it! It's definitely a kids film, in that's it's whimsical and breezy and lightweight - I don't have kids, but there's wasn't content that would be inappropriate - but it's charming and funny enough for the adults.

And I always like seeing Bill Nighy in a movie. He aways know the right sort of energy to bring to a role, no matter the role.

I think if you go into this with the right attitude, like Bill Nighty would, and temper your expectations then I think you'll have a good time.

And I always appreciate a movie that doesn't feel the need to for two and a half/three hours long (this is only 1 hour 44 minutes), or be part one in a six part ever-expanding cinematic universe, where god-forbid you're not dedicating every waking moment to being up-to-date with.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Simonsloth wrote: May 12th, 2019, 10:13 pm
duskvstweak wrote: May 12th, 2019, 1:27 am I saw Detective Pikachu. It was a fun time, hit a lot of nostalgic moments for myself. It's definitely the best video game movie (though, I like Warcraft), but I really do feel that Pokemon is so big, that it almost escapes that categorization. It's definitely PG-action, all of it rather toothless, but it's done well. The whole movie has great production design. Also, Ryan Reynolds is somewhat toned-downed in the movie, so it's not the Deadpool as Pikachu I was worried about.
Quick question. Is it age appropriate for younger kids? I find the PG certificate is a minefield as you can get things like Night at the Museum and Jaws rated the same. Unless I’ve seen the film I can’t really judge it. Could be light peril, a few swears or even some sexy moments. Although saying that there are some absolutely terrifying films rated U.

No pressure if you’re not sure. The likelihood of me getting to the cinema is slim at best but my 4 year old is getting into Pokémon and is keen.
I don't really know, that might be a bit young? There's creepy/"scary" moments but the action is pretty basic and harmless. I think there's a few moments that scare a young kid, but it obviously depends on the kid.
Joshihatsumitsu

duskvstweak wrote: May 13th, 2019, 6:07 am
Simonsloth wrote: May 12th, 2019, 10:13 pm
duskvstweak wrote: May 12th, 2019, 1:27 am I saw Detective Pikachu. It was a fun time, hit a lot of nostalgic moments for myself. It's definitely the best video game movie (though, I like Warcraft), but I really do feel that Pokemon is so big, that it almost escapes that categorization. It's definitely PG-action, all of it rather toothless, but it's done well. The whole movie has great production design. Also, Ryan Reynolds is somewhat toned-downed in the movie, so it's not the Deadpool as Pikachu I was worried about.
Quick question. Is it age appropriate for younger kids? I find the PG certificate is a minefield as you can get things like Night at the Museum and Jaws rated the same. Unless I’ve seen the film I can’t really judge it. Could be light peril, a few swears or even some sexy moments. Although saying that there are some absolutely terrifying films rated U.

No pressure if you’re not sure. The likelihood of me getting to the cinema is slim at best but my 4 year old is getting into Pokémon and is keen.
I don't really know, that might be a bit young? There's creepy/"scary" moments but the action is pretty basic and harmless. I think there's a few moments that scare a young kid, but it obviously depends on the kid.
If you are looking to scare your kid, the Sonic movie trailer is still out there. :shock:
Joshihatsumitsu

Hmmm... never thought I'd be living in a world where no thumbs up one's bum is a bad thing, yet here we are... :?

During the opening credits to Detective Pikachu, a little company logo popped up for Toho, which made me smile a little, because the night previously I watched a little 1954 movie that goes by the name Godzilla!

Courteous of AnimeLab, it was the first time I'd even seen it, and I have to say, loved it. By modern impatient-audience standards, it moves at a good pace, and perhaps some modern movies could even learn a thing or two about pacing from this.

Special effects are great. Sure, its a guy in a rubber suit and many models crushed underfoot, but it was 1954, and it does fair even better during the nighttime scenes, as it blends in better with the live action moments. And I'm a nerd for special effects and models, and a shit-ton of hard work went into it, and it's awesome.

And it also stars Takashi Shimura, an actor one has starred in a shit-ton of movies (especially Akira Kurosawa films), and I remembered him from Ikiru, a movie that is great, but might be a harder sell to the casual audience than Godzilla.

So, by the new standard in movie reviews here on Cane and Rinse, two thumbs up ones bum. :o
BrightNite

Post by BrightNite »

I never really payed attention to Game of Thrones until recently, but after a few friends and online raving about it I did watch a recent episode of STUFF HAPPENING! It looked good, I had no idea what was going on or who any one was and why they were doing what they were doing, so I might go back and watch it. I loved Picnic at Hanging Rock with Natalie Dormer, so thats another reason.
I still love watching old Columbo episodes, I even got the box set even though it's repeated millions on time on tv
Joshihatsumitsu

clippa wrote: May 14th, 2019, 5:01 pm Edit: Haha, I should have read your review first! :lol:
I go by the Eurogamer/Ars Technica review system of eliminating a numerical value to a game or movie or whatever.

But adding a review system where there's a scale that obscures any point of reference - even better.

I give your review 18 out of 4093 rubber donkeys (26.9 is considered the best, so you've done well)! :D
Joshihatsumitsu

I love Martyrs... and by love I mean it's not an easy watch, and I'd struggle to recommend it to anyone who doesn't like horror movies, but yeah... it doesn't pull any punches.
Joshihatsumitsu

Ha, yeah. I have Martyrs on Bluray and Inside on DVD so... :oops: the upside is no-one ever borrows anything from my personal collection, so they're in pristine shape!

There is a point in Inside where it goes from upsettingly ultra-violent to absurdly cartoon violent, at which point it becomes a little easier to watch, because it's bonkers. Maybe it's because I grew up with Looney Tunes, but there is a point where the violence becomes absurd, and the only sane response is laughter.

Martyrs doesn't ever let you off the hook, and it's brutal, and horrific, and doesn't want the audience to be okay with it. Inside is a test to see how far things can go, and they get pretty crazy!

There is an American remake of Martyrs, and from the few reviews out there it's a quite toothless. If it popped up on Netflix, I'd lazily be curious and watch it, but if ever there was a pointless remake :roll:

Side note: speaking of French, I thought about taking the David Cage counter-argument-route before, and say "how can I be homophobic? I know Ellen Page!!!". But then I remembered that I don't know Ellen Page at all, so I am at an arguementive disadvantage. :(
Joshihatsumitsu

clippa wrote: May 15th, 2019, 9:37 am What about Sleep Tight
That's not really a horror either but it scratches the same itch, best to go in blind.
I haven't seen either. Obviously seen Jaume Balagueró's Rec films, but not Sleep Tight. Shall add it to the list.

I think my love of horror films is why I had such good time with Detective Pikachu: even us gorehounds just need something cute, adorable, and somewhat disposable enough to stay sane!
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

clippa wrote: May 16th, 2019, 10:24 amLimmy mentioned in his autobiography that he was asked to play the older developer in banjosnap but turned it down as it clashed with a date on his book tour. Fans first 4 eva.
Limmy! I've got "Surprisingly Down to Earth, and Very Funny" ready to listen to in my Audible library. Fucking class Limmy. The sketch shows are brilliant. Excited to check it out.
James

Post by James »

We finally got around to Legion's second season, just in time for Season 3 to arrive next month. This show is certainly my favourite superhero TV show, and pretty high up there in my estimation of TV shows in general.

Fiction which plays with unreliable and/or shifting perception is something I tend to respond to. A funny aside is that Legion brings to mind the 17th episode of Buffy's 6th season, called 'Normal Again'. It's one of my favourites of that show's run, particularly because it calls into question pretty much everything else that happens in it.

I've been thinking a lot this week about how the standard 22-episode season of US network television really doesn't work for me anymore. Few, I'd say, manage to tell a coherent story, with a satisfying arc, especially those that rely on villain-of-the-week episodes to pad the season out. Having dropped off Agents of SHIELD(which is about to come back for its 6 season), I can't imagine sticking with a show like that anymore. Sadly that might mean there's a few late 90s/early 00s shows I really enjoyed that I wouldn't make time for now.

Anyway! I'm really taken with Legion (now 4 episodes into Season 2), and even more thrilled to hear that Season 3 might be the last. A chance to tell its story and finish in a blaze of glory!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I think some of that comes from being raised on British Brevity
James

Post by James »

I enjoy British Brevity in my TV, but am unable to employ British brevity in my forum posts! ;-)
Suits

Post by Suits »

I’m not really one for TV at all and very rarely actually watch anything.

But, a mate put me into the new series that’s started on Sky Atlantic - Chernobyl.

Watched the first episode last night, it’s haunting, so chilling. Excellent stuff.

If you have a morbid interested in that human disaster, then it’s a fascinating perspective of the immediate events following the explosion.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Saw Godzilla and Aladdin last weekend.
I flat out hated Aladdin, but different strokes. My wife enjoyed it and so did a few of my friends.
I liked Godzilla without loving it. All those wonderful trailers had me expecting a life transforming monster movie and, though there's plenty of fun to be had, it never became the "end all, be all" of Godzilla films, I think. I stand by that Peter Jackson's King Kong might be as good as any Kong film is every going to be and while King of the Monsters has it's moments, it's still a bit off at times.
Cangry

Post by Cangry »

Yesterday watched John Wick, loved the 3rd movie to be honest. Has anyone see it?
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Suits wrote: May 24th, 2019, 7:55 am I’m not really one for TV at all and very rarely actually watch anything.

But, a mate put me into the new series that’s started on Sky Atlantic - Chernobyl.

Watched the first episode last night, it’s haunting, so chilling. Excellent stuff.

If you have a morbid interested in that human disaster, then it’s a fascinating perspective of the immediate events following the explosion.
Apparently it has the highest IMDB rating of any series...ever! That is according to sky on Twitter.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Cangry wrote: June 5th, 2019, 8:34 am Yesterday watched John Wick, loved the 3rd movie to be honest. Has anyone see it?
Third was a good time. Loved the hallway/knife fight.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

We just watched the end of Season 3 of GoT.

The "red wedding".

:(
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Oof! What a belter.

Watched the first episode of season 5 for black mirror.

I genuinely dont know what the answer is to that question but hey ho! Whatever works, right?