Whatcha Been Watching?

This is the place where you can confab about all the other stuff besides videogames.
Simonsloth

Re: Whatcha Been Watching?

Post by Simonsloth » June 5th, 2019, 8:12 am

Suits wrote:
May 24th, 2019, 5:55 am
I’m not really one for TV at all and very rarely actually watch anything.

But, a mate put me into the new series that’s started on Sky Atlantic - Chernobyl.

Watched the first episode last night, it’s haunting, so chilling. Excellent stuff.

If you have a morbid interested in that human disaster, then it’s a fascinating perspective of the immediate events following the explosion.
Apparently it has the highest IMDB rating of any series...ever! That is according to sky on Twitter.

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » June 5th, 2019, 3:30 pm

Cangry wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 6:34 am
Yesterday watched John Wick, loved the 3rd movie to be honest. Has anyone see it?
Third was a good time. Loved the hallway/knife fight.

ThirdMan

Post by ThirdMan » June 5th, 2019, 4:21 pm

For the past two months all of my attention has been on movies. And thanks to an extended period of sick leave I've added 139 entries to my Letterboxd diary in 2019! It's been quite a year so far.

I also managed to jump through several hoops and successfully downloaded the Criterion Channel app to my phone and gained full access to the service via web browser. It's been notoriously difficult for those outside of North America to join the service since it launched in April, but my perseverance has been richly rewarded.

It's pretty much everything I hoped it would be. The sheer volume of fully restored, world cinema classics in glorious HD, complete with extras and commentaries, is just outrageous. It's the Holy Grail of streaming as far as I'm concerned, diminished only slightly by having to watch it on my laptop or smartphone.

There's too many highlights to mention, but I've just finished Paths of Glory for the first time and it's quite possibly my favourite Stanley Kubrick film. One of the extras was a 12 minute presentation by HBO stalwart David Simon where he talks about how the film was a huge influence when structuring his own masterpiece, The Wire. Excellent stuff!

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » June 6th, 2019, 11:11 am

We just watched the end of Season 3 of GoT.

The "red wedding".

:(

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd » June 8th, 2019, 5:40 pm

Oof! What a belter.

Watched the first episode of season 5 for black mirror.

I genuinely dont know what the answer is to that question but hey ho! Whatever works, right?

clippa

Post by clippa » June 9th, 2019, 1:55 am

Got done watching Black Mirror series 5 there tonight and I'm afraid it's not good news. I'll spoiler it all in case people haven't watched them yet or just plain don't want to hear mister misery guts moaning on and harshing their vibe.
Spoiler: show
Ooft, they were all pretty poor.

Ashley too looked the most interesting in the trailer but was the worst of the lot, felt like black mirror jumping the shark, piss weak.
Striking Vipers was aaaalright, passable if it had been the one naff episode in another series. The car/phone one could have been a lot better than it was, really shoddy execution.

It was never the most subtle of shows but it seems really ham fisted and broad and lazy now. Pot/kettle, I know, but the attempts at humour never landed. My toes were curling a lot, especially during the ashley one.

Probably not fair to call out the actors, but I wasn't sold on any of the performances this time round, not that they had much to work with.

Such a shame. I was looking forward to this and it was pretty bloody terrible, I have to be honest. It all felt a bit "that'll do", a bit insulting. Even my least favourite episodes, I usually find them halfway entertaining. There wasn't much to like here at all.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » June 15th, 2019, 9:18 pm

We watched When They See Us over the last two nights on Netflix. It's probably the best thing I've seen in a couple of years, absolutely incredible.

ThirdMan

Post by ThirdMan » June 16th, 2019, 12:03 am

I attended a 70mm screening of Terminator 2 in the Irish Film Institute earlier. It must be 10 years since I last watched film, actual film, projected and I'd never been to a 70mm performance before. It was easily one of my all-time-great cinema moments. The hum of the projector, the flicker of the film, the richness of the images and the sheer sense of depth provided by that magnificent film grain being spread across 50 foot of screen. My nostalgia reserves will remain overflowing for the rest of the year.

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » June 17th, 2019, 3:10 pm

Since I do that bad movie podcast, I've been watching some...rough films for the first time.
I've now seen Johnny Mnemonic, Battlefield Earth and, just this weekend, Dragonball Evolution.
Actually, I gotta say, if you called the Dragonball movie ANYTHING ELSE but Dragonball, it might not be as reviled as it is. It's a horrendous adaption, just terrible, but, on it's own, it's fairly harmless and a bit entertaining at times.
Just change the fighting to skateboarding and little else would need to change.

Caligulas Horse

Post by Caligulas Horse » June 17th, 2019, 3:16 pm

duskvstweak wrote:
June 17th, 2019, 3:10 pm
Since I do that bad movie podcast
Which one is it?

I was listening to One Good Thing for awhile and that was quite fun. I do love a good bad film, I'd recommend Ghost Shark if you haven't seen it.

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » June 17th, 2019, 3:18 pm

Caligulas Horse wrote:
June 17th, 2019, 3:16 pm
duskvstweak wrote:
June 17th, 2019, 3:10 pm
Since I do that bad movie podcast
Which one is it?

I was listening to One Good Thing for awhile and that was quite fun. I do love a good bad film, I'd recommend Ghost Shark if you haven't seen it.
Is there seriously a bad movie podcast called One Good Thing?
Mine is called Three Nice Things.
I'm gonna go sit in the dark now.

Caligulas Horse

Post by Caligulas Horse » June 17th, 2019, 3:24 pm

duskvstweak wrote:
June 17th, 2019, 3:18 pm

haha that's brilliant! I didn't realise you meant you actually made the podcast though, I'll have to check that out.

In One Good Thing the concept is they watch bad movies and have to find the things that they actually like about it, is that similar to your own?

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » June 17th, 2019, 4:47 pm

Caligulas Horse wrote:
June 17th, 2019, 3:24 pm
duskvstweak wrote:

haha that's brilliant! I didn't realise you meant you actually made the podcast though, I'll have to check that out.

In One Good Thing the concept is they watch bad movies and have to find the things that they actually like about it, is that similar to your own?
It's...the exact same thing.
*sigh*
Oh, well!

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » June 17th, 2019, 7:11 pm

:lol:

It's like the time I rocked up to band practice and proudly showed off the new bass line I'd written. Everyone just looked at me like I was mental until someone said, "Uh, it's New Born by Muse".

And it was. Note for note.

I wouldn't mind, but the exact same thing happened a few years later when I claimed to have written Come Together by Spiritualized.

:lol:

FemalePheromones

Post by FemalePheromones » June 17th, 2019, 7:31 pm

duskvstweak wrote:
June 17th, 2019, 4:47 pm

*sigh*
Oh, well!
Absolutely savage.

I actually listened to the Mario Brothers episode. I like the format but I find it hard to listen to a podcast about something I haven't seen.

I'll probably listen to the Fantastic Four one as I'm curious enough to listen to a less than 1 hour podcast on it but nowhere near enough to actually watch it.

Other than that I'm keeping my eye out for when you do a film I actually know.

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » June 17th, 2019, 7:39 pm

duskvstweak wrote:
June 17th, 2019, 4:47 pm
Caligulas Horse wrote:
June 17th, 2019, 3:24 pm
duskvstweak wrote:

*sigh*
Oh, well!
I’ve listened to both and prefer your show if I’m choosing. Also finding three things is harder than one!

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » June 17th, 2019, 9:01 pm

Thanks, guys!

Also, has anyone seen the new MIB movie? Reviews are bad, a friend of mine liked it, wife wants to see it. We'll probably go but I'm not looking forward to it.

FemalePheromones

Post by FemalePheromones » June 18th, 2019, 5:03 am

duskvstweak wrote:
June 17th, 2019, 9:01 pm
Thanks, guys!

Also, has anyone seen the new MIB movie? Reviews are bad, a friend of mine liked it, wife wants to see it. We'll probably go but I'm not looking forward to it.
I haven't but definitely will at some point. I like Chris Hemsworth and Tessa Thompson and my kids love MIB so even if I don't get anything out of it I'm sure they will.

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » June 25th, 2019, 8:46 pm

I actually might get to the cinema for the first time in a long while to see Avengers Endgame tomorrow night.

I’ve got a short list of prior films I missed. Got Guardians 2, Black Panther, Doctor Strange, Infinity War, Captain Marvel, Antman/wasp, Thor ragnarok all to see. Like I said a short list😀

I’m watching Guardians 2 now which is so much fun. A weird one because so much of it screams family film but the language and violence is very much adult in a few places. About 90% would be my son’s dream film but the other 10% means he’ll need to wait 6 or 7 years to see it.

Thinking I’ll be able to squeeze in one more. Infinity war seems most sensible. Any alternative suggestions?

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » June 25th, 2019, 8:59 pm

Infinity War is by far the most sensible choice out of those you've listed considering how IW and Endgame are very closely connected to one another. It's also an excellent movie in its own right and one of my favourite MCU movies to date.

Don't think you'll be disappointed.