Whatcha Been Watching?

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
chase210

Re: Whatcha Been Watching?

Post by chase210 »

I also saw The Invisible Man. Which I liked a lot. I'm not nearly articulate enough to write even a short decent review, but it was a movie I enjoyed. Elizabeth Moss carried a lot of it, the ending was very satisfying.

I also saw
Star Wars Rogue One - Love it
The remake of the first pokemon movie with that awful 3D animation- Bleh
Parasite - Meh, very disappointed by this one.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

chase210 wrote: March 2nd, 2020, 9:18 pm I also saw The Invisible Man. Which I liked a lot. I'm not nearly articulate enough to write even a short decent review, but it was a movie I enjoyed. Elizabeth Moss carried a lot of it, the ending was very satisfying.

I also saw
Star Wars Rogue One - Love it
The remake of the first pokemon movie with that awful 3D animation- Bleh
Parasite - Meh, very disappointed by this one.
I've been hearing a lot of good things about this movie, despite the fact that I thought the trailer looked not great and gave away the whole movie. But, people seem to really be responding to it.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

We just watched episode 1 of The Outsider. Based on a Stephen King book, currently airing on Sky. I think its nearly finished actually, but we've only just started it. Quick pitch: man gets charged with grisly murder of school boy. They have watertight evidence it's him.

Except it can't be...

It was good.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

duskvstweak wrote: February 21st, 2020, 4:58 pm Sonic the Hedgehog was mostly fine. I felt like it was very much a kid's film with Jim Carrey playing it up for the adults, especially us that miss his 90s persona. And, I think, as a kid's film, it works. If I had seen this movie when I was a kid and Sonic was too cool for school, I would have loved it. Unlike how confused I was as kid in the theaters for Super Mario Bros...
I went to see Sonic with my son (who is 5 on Monday) and splashed out on the 4DX version after hearing about it from Dez and he wasn’t wrong. It was an absolute riot! Popcorn was flying everywhere as I had no idea the seats moved that much. Overall I’m not sure how good the film would be without the theme park-like 4D stuff but it was a hoot seeing it that way.

I think it helped missing the opening week or two s so the die hard fans weren’t there to point out the continuity errors🥱

I also loved seeing the Sega logo at the beginning as a mosaic of all their franchises. Seeing Kazama on the big screen made me smile!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I definitely had 2 males next to us going "ugh" "oh my days"

I would've believed their distaste if they werent moaning about the film which had moving chairs etc
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I Think You Should Leave on Netflix. The best sketch comedy I've seen in years. It's another level. Please check it out!

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Alex79uk wrote: March 18th, 2020, 1:32 pm I Think You Should Leave on Netflix. The best sketch comedy I've seen in years. It's another level. Please check it out!

I watched it when it came out and have been showing friends non-stop. It's so funny. I want more.

More Netflix laugh? Frankenstein's Monster's Monster, Frankenstein. Cracks me up.

And Documentary Now is one my favorite shows ever. Three Seasons so far! Check it out!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

This is utterly incredible work. 2 brothers, 8 years in the making!

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Mixed feelings over the Picard final episode.

Certain scenes were glorious and gave me a lump in my throat and made the room a bit dusty however overall I thought the last two episodes were an absolute mess in places.

Absolute rip off of
Spoiler: show
Mass Effect with the reapers knock offs and the on the left from Endgame. Though Riker was a joy

Overall the series has brought me so much joy (I'm a huge TNG fan) but yeah the last two episodes dampened it slightly.

Imagine going for a great meal however the dessert was a big disappointment.
Cass

Post by Cass »

Watched Uncut Gems last night. Can't tell if I hated it because it's bad or because I'm just sick of films about charismatic arseholes having gritty misadventures with at least 3 people shouting at one another at all times.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

So, not new, but the wife and I just rewatched the Hobbit/Lord of the Rings films. I got both trilogies on bluray for Christmas and it felt like a good time to do it. The extended editions of the Hobbit films are sort of a mixed bag. The first is a lateral move, I don't think it makes anything better or worse. The second movie is actually hurt by the additional scenes because Desolation had a pretty decent pace theatrically and now it takes too dang long to get to Smaug. Battle of the Five armies is maybe a better movie with the extra footage? But, I didn't like the movie the first time around and this was my first go rewatching it and I actually enjoyed it.

I don't think the Lord of the Rings need me to add anything. Still fantastic. I still get teary-eyed at the end of the third movie when Gandalf says goodbye.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

We got the free, 7-day trial of Apple TV and used it to watch the first season of Mythic Quest. I liked it, even if I could see the cracks. I think it's a show that could benefit from a second season to become great. I'm usually forgiving of a sitcom's first season. There were plenty of jokes that landed and had me laughing, I just hope it rises to a new level.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've started a third watch through of the best sit com ever made (The Office US), which is currently streaming on Prime Video.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I don't really watch TV apart from Mad Men and Landscape Artist of the Year on Sky Arts.

However, the new Castlevania series is up on Netlflix and I've been kicking back and watching a few episodes of this at a time.

Picks straight back up from the end of the 2nd series (Dracula's Curse, Castlevania 3 on the NES), it so well written and voice acted impeccably. Love it.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Studio Ghibli recently dumped pretty much their entire output on to Netflix, and the kids have really been enjoying them. So far we've watched My Neighbour Totoro, Howl's Moving Castle and we are just watching Spirited Away now.

Any recommendations of which ones are good to watch? Ta!
Suits

Post by Suits »

Alex79uk wrote: April 4th, 2020, 4:25 pm Studio Ghibli recently dumped pretty much their entire output on to Netflix, and the kids have really been enjoying them. So far we've watched My Neighbour Totoro, Howl's Moving Castle and we are just watching Spirited Away now.

Any recommendations of which ones are good to watch? Ta!
We've been wanting to explore Studio Ghibli as well, I've been told the most accessible and probably best is Spirited Away.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I'd like to cast my vote for Princess Mononoke.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Spirited Away seems good so far. My boys really struggle to sit and watch a whole film, but for some reason are really engaging with these. They'll start drifting off a bit and wandering about, but with My Neighbour Totoro they literally didn't move off the sofa whilst it was on.
KSubzero1000 wrote: April 4th, 2020, 4:48 pm I'd like to cast my vote for Princess Mononoke.
Yeah that seems pretty universally praised on Rotten Tomatoes, might watch that one next.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Some of them are definitely a bit more adult and perhaps too ponderous for the kids e.g The Wind Rises.

I’d say Howl’s, Spirited Away and My Neighbour Totoro are the most accessible.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

How's Moving Castle is one of my favorites and it seems to able to grab people of all ages. If they liked Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service would be a good one to do next.