Whatcha Been Watching?

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
AndyKurosaki

Re: Whatcha Been Watching?

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Been rewatching series 1 of The Shield on Virgin Media TV XL, I'll likely end up going through the series again.
Planning to pick up series 2 of Boardwalk Empire tomorrow, only just got into it a few months ago, it's yet another "drop everything and watch it" show for me.
Nucky Thompson For The Win.
Buckled Kipper

Post by Buckled Kipper »

JaySevenZero wrote:Recently re-watched both Firefly and Serenity (best ever sci-fi/western mash-up!) gonna make a start watching Game of Thrones (best ever violent fantasy with nudity!) from the very beginning once again as it's simply too damn long before series three starts.
Looking forward too watching GOT season one again but will have to hold off till season two is coming out on blu ray to watch them together just before season three starts. Have read all the books, but
Love the TV adaptions.

As for Serenity/Firefly, I'm just hoping that after Avengers 2 makes a ridiculous amount of money so that the studios give joss the freedom to make the sequel that we are all crying out for.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Yeah I'm eagerly awaiting series 2 of Game Of Thrones on DVD, I don't watch stuff online so if I miss the TV version it's "wait for the DVD" time. Having loved series one when I watched it this year, I bought and read all the books back to back. Can definitely see why Book 3 will be spilt into Series 3 and 4, there's so much action in Book 3 that one Series could never do it justice.

Really need to rewatch Firefly/Serenity someday, bloody brilliant series.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I've just started reading Dance With Dragons and by the end of season 2 on tv,
Spoiler: show
I'm getting slightly concerned by the book changes, love Davos Seaworth though they've got him spot on from the book

Three quarters through season 6 of Dexter and it's good in places (Brother Sam/Faith) but I'm finding the main killers thing quite weak.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Yeah I struggled a bit with Dexter to be honest. I rented series 1 from lovefilm, got halfway through series 2 but then just lost interest. I don't like Dexter as a character, it's hard to like a mass murderer that gets through his actions more or less scot-free.
Sure, Vic Mackey, Tony Soprano, Walter White and Nucky Thompson are no saints either. But they all had something about them where you cared about what happens to them. Dexter I just don't.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Yeah not liking Dexter would hamper your enjoyment a bit! ;). I've loved every season and I've been expecting them to fall off a some point and think this series might be it.

Looking forward to the season finale of falling skies tomorrow.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

Roy42 wrote: But are we really so close to the end? Unless it's been confirmed that this is the last season or that AMC has yet to renew it for more seasons,
It's been stated since last season, that 5 is the end.
One more episode before a break, then 8 more to wrap it up.
Roy42 wrote:it doesn't seem like it has any intention of winding down in five more episodes.
Have you actually been watching the most recent episodes? Walt, for someone who has up until recently, been obsessed with trying to cover tracks has been getting rather messy.
Buckled Kipper

Post by Buckled Kipper »

DomsBeard wrote:I've just started reading Dance With Dragons and by the end of season 2 on tv,
I'm getting slightly concerned by the book changes, love Davos Seaworth though they've got him spot on from the book

Three quarters through season 6 of Dexter and it's good in places (Brother Sam/Faith) but I'm finding the main killers thing quite weak.
Know what you mean Dom, but I have faith in the show writers, and what they do is supervised by GRRM so hopefully he'll keep them on track. I loved Dance With Dragons, but the wait for the next book is killing me.
Ghost World

Post by Ghost World »

I watched a documentary called The Bridge which was about the 24 people who committed suicide in 2004 by jumping of The Golden Gate Bridge!

It would be fair to say that it was Heavy and Heartbreaking stuff but it did highlight just how many tormented souls there are out there, Seeing both family and friends interviewed followed by real life footage of them jumping of the bridge is pretty powerful but the documentary never judged the people for what they did merely just observed the reasons why there life's had hit so low.

It's one of those programs that make you sit up and take note that we all need to embrace life and help people around us more.
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

RoboticMonk3y wrote: Have you actually been watching the most recent episodes?
Don't particularly appreciate the rude tone there.

EDIT: Now that I have actually seen the latest episode, I will admit that I can see it ending by the end of the season.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Ghost World wrote:I watched a documentary called The Bridge which was about the 24 people who committed suicide in 2004 by jumping of The Golden Gate Bridge!

It would be fair to say that it was Heavy and Heartbreaking stuff but it did highlight just how many tormented souls there are out there, Seeing both family and friends interviewed followed by real life footage of them jumping of the bridge is pretty powerful but the documentary never judged the people for what they did merely just observed the reasons why there life's had hit so low.

It's one of those programs that make you sit up and take note that we all need to embrace life and help people around us more.
Really harrowing stuff, the intro was enough to put most people off but I'm glad I persisted. The last guy (with a tenuous link to video games: offered a job at gamestop on his day of death as the capcom t-shirt guy says) really freaked me out, he's almost calm when he does it. Still, it was kind of funny that the guy who changed his mind at the last second actually survived!
PlexShaw

Post by PlexShaw »

I saw The Bridge in the cinema. Genuinely harrowing.

I remember joking with my brother afterwards (to lighten the mood obviously) that it could have been amusing if some slightly confused Chelsea fans had to turned up to the screening.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

3 episodes in to series 2 of Boardwalk Empire, yet another quality show I'd highly recommend. The only negative for me is thanks to some dickhead in Empire magazine, I already know about the death of a main character. The same motherfucker also happily spoils deaths in Game Of Thrones Series 1.
So yeah, fuck him.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Man, I thought Empire would be decent about that kind of stuff.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

mikeleddy83 wrote:
Ghost World wrote:I watched a documentary called The Bridge which was about the 24 people who committed suicide in 2004 by jumping of The Golden Gate Bridge!

Really harrowing stuff, the intro was enough to put most people off but I'm glad I persisted. The last guy (with a tenuous link to video games: offered a job at gamestop on his day of death as the capcom t-shirt guy says) really freaked me out, he's almost calm when he does it. Still, it was kind of funny that the guy who changed his mind at the last second actually survived!
Yeah I watched this on Netflix a couple of months ago. The weird subject matter along side the quite tranquil ambient soundtrack made for quite bizarre but serene viewing. Strange experience, and incredibly powerful.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

dezm0nd wrote:Man, I thought Empire would be decent about that kind of stuff.
There's a Single 'Spoilers' notice in the top right hand corner of the first page of the "Top 20 Must See Shows" feature, but I missed it. Really there should have been a "seriously be careful" on the front of the article.
Turns out it was written by Nick De Semlyen. Dickhead.
W1DGET

Post by W1DGET »

AndyKurosaki wrote:3 episodes in to series 2 of Boardwalk Empire, yet another quality show I'd highly recommend. The only negative for me is thanks to some dickhead in Empire magazine, I already know about the death of a main character. The same motherfucker also happily spoils deaths in Game Of Thrones Series 1.
So yeah, fuck him.
I love Boardwalk Empire, one of my favourite series at the moment. HBO just seem to make quality TV in general. Reference the spoiler you mentioned above I watched season 2 a while back and was absolutely gutted! HBO pull no punches lol
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Very true, HBO does put out some brilliant shows. I loved The Sopranoes, so when I found out this was written by Terence Winter, watching this was a no-brainer. Already there's been a few twists I never saw coming, and Steve Buscemi is fantastic.
Buckled Kipper

Post by Buckled Kipper »

AndyKurosaki wrote:3 episodes in to series 2 of Boardwalk Empire, yet another quality show I'd highly recommend. The only negative for me is thanks to some dickhead in Empire magazine, I already know about the death of a main character. The same motherfucker also happily spoils deaths in Game Of Thrones Series 1.
So yeah, fuck him.
I've seen both shows so it didn't spoil anything for me, but I was very suprised when I read that piece as both spoilers were unnescarsary for the article. Had the feeling when reading it that some people were going to be very pissed off.
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

Aaand saved.