Whatcha Been Watching?

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Stanshall

Re: Whatcha Been Watching?

Post by Stanshall »

HaloFandango wrote: August 7th, 2020, 5:18 pm Ghibli is life man! One of the movies that I haven't seen yet is Porco Rosso! Ghibli really are masters of their craft.

My favorite has to be either Howl's Moving Castle or Kiki's Delivery Service. Grave of the Fireflies is also great (albeit a total gut punch).
I absolutely love all of them but you're right about Grave of the Fireflies, very difficult to get through for me. Devastating film.

On another anime note, I watched Redline over the last couple of days (one upside to RSI, I actually sit and watch a whole movie!). It's a spectacular racing themed futuristic/anachronistic/Wacky Racers kind of thing - but also really psychedelic at times. The sound design is also GOAT tier, and I mean that sincerely. Here's the trailer:

I genuinely don't think I've seen anything quite like it.
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

Stanshall wrote: August 11th, 2020, 1:45 pm
HaloFandango wrote: August 7th, 2020, 5:18 pm Ghibli is life man! One of the movies that I haven't seen yet is Porco Rosso! Ghibli really are masters of their craft.

My favorite has to be either Howl's Moving Castle or Kiki's Delivery Service. Grave of the Fireflies is also great (albeit a total gut punch).
I absolutely love all of them but you're right about Grave of the Fireflies, very difficult to get through for me. Devastating film.

On another anime note, I watched Redline over the last couple of days (one upside to RSI, I actually sit and watch a whole movie!). It's a spectacular racing themed futuristic/anachronistic/Wacky Racers kind of thing - but also really psychedelic at times. The sound design is also GOAT tier, and I mean that sincerely. Here's the trailer:

I genuinely don't think I've seen anything quite like it.
Redline is an amazing film, I watched that many years ago, but I remember the very trippy visuals from that movie! I saw it in my local Tsutaya (a popular movie rental store) on a shelf, so might have to give it another rental at some point.

Out of interest, have you ever been to Japan before? There is the Ghibli museum in Tokyo, which I'm sure you'd absolutely love.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I was really pleased to see Long Way Up will be starting in September. I was a big fan of Long Way Round and Long Way Down. If you've not seen them, they're motorcycle adventure trips with Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman. The first one they rode from London to New York, 'the long way round', and in the second series they ride down to South Africa.

Long Way Up sees them travel from South America, up through the continent and in to America. If its anything like the first two series it'll be equal parts adventure and excitement mixed with a travel doc.

In preparation I started watching Charley's solo series, 'By Any Means', in which he travels from Ireland to Australia without using any commercial flights. I love this sort of stuff so really looking forward to Long Way Up.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

I loved all those shows too and didn’t know about this new one, it’s made my day. Where will it be shown?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Angry_Kurt wrote: August 15th, 2020, 8:18 pm I loved all those shows too and didn’t know about this new one, it’s made my day. Where will it be shown?
It's launching as an Apple TV exclusive, but I imagine it'll be available in all the 'other' usual places... I don't intend to subscribe for one show, so I'll either be finding it elsewhere or... Well, no, I'll be finding it elsewhere. :lol:

I'd have thought it'll eventually come to other services/TV channels too, though.
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

Alex79uk wrote: August 15th, 2020, 3:31 pm I was really pleased to see Long Way Up will be starting in September. I was a big fan of Long Way Round and Long Way Down. If you've not seen them, they're motorcycle adventure trips with Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman. The first one they rode from London to New York, 'the long way round', and in the second series they ride down to South Africa.

Long Way Up sees them travel from South America, up through the continent and in to America. If its anything like the first two series it'll be equal parts adventure and excitement mixed with a travel doc.

In preparation I started watching Charley's solo series, 'By Any Means', in which he travels from Ireland to Australia without using any commercial flights. I love this sort of stuff so really looking forward to Long Way Up.
Absolutely excellent shows, the banter between the two of them was worth it alone!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

HaloFandango wrote: August 15th, 2020, 3:16 pm Redline is an amazing film, I watched that many years ago, but I remember the very trippy visuals from that movie! I saw it in my local Tsutaya (a popular movie rental store) on a shelf, so might have to give it another rental at some point.

Out of interest, have you ever been to Japan before? There is the Ghibli museum in Tokyo, which I'm sure you'd absolutely love.
Very regrettably, not. I basically weighed up China and Japan way back when, and I ended up living in China for six years. I absolutely loved it. Over the last five years or so, though, I've become very interested in Japan both in terms of its art, literature and history and also absorbed myself in Japanese pop culture. I would absolutely love to go one day. My wife and I have agreed to do it but not sure exactly when it will be. I just wish I'd gone twenty years ago :P
Caligulas Horse

Post by Caligulas Horse »

I managed to bag The Hayao Miyazaki Collection on Blu-Ray for only 30 quid. I got it off Wish and I expected there to be some issue, but it's in perfect condition and works fine on my PS4. It still feels like it's too good to be true, I'm expecting it to randomly burst into flames at some point.

I watched Castle of Cagliostro for the first time the other night, such a wild mash-up, I had a ton of fun with it. I realised I haven't actually revisited any of Miyazaki's films for ages and that's given me a proper taste for them, excited to go through all the classics again.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Wow. Result! Never used Wish but I'll get on the case :)
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Caligulas Horse wrote: August 18th, 2020, 12:38 pm I managed to bag The Hayao Miyazaki Collection on Blu-Ray for only 30 quid. I got it off Wish and I expected there to be some issue, but it's in perfect condition and works fine on my PS4. It still feels like it's too good to be true, I'm expecting it to randomly burst into flames at some point.

I watched Castle of Cagliostro for the first time the other night, such a wild mash-up, I had a ton of fun with it. I realised I haven't actually revisited any of Miyazaki's films for ages and that's given me a proper taste for them, excited to go through all the classics again.
David Hayter is the voice in Cagliostro, too!
I enjoy that one, and I remember reading Spielberg does too!
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

Stanshall wrote: August 17th, 2020, 8:57 am
HaloFandango wrote: August 15th, 2020, 3:16 pm Redline is an amazing film, I watched that many years ago, but I remember the very trippy visuals from that movie! I saw it in my local Tsutaya (a popular movie rental store) on a shelf, so might have to give it another rental at some point.

Very regrettably, not. I basically weighed up China and Japan way back when, and I ended up living in China for six years. I absolutely loved it. Over the last five years or so, though, I've become very interested in Japan both in terms of its art, literature and history and also absorbed myself in Japanese pop culture. I would absolutely love to go one day. My wife and I have agreed to do it but not sure exactly when it will be. I just wish I'd gone twenty years ago :P
Amazing stuff, six years in China sounds like a great experience for sure! If you don't mind me asking, which part of China did you reside in?
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Finished Netflix's High Score. It was fun, well presented and looks like they put some money behind it. A bit quirky. Strange to only focus on Yoshitaka Amano when talking Final Fantasy, but makes me wish their was a regular series like this, picking one topic, game, series or person to talk about. A thirty minute Yoshitaka Amano doc? Sure! I'm in!

I found the 3rd episodes, the one that focused on rpgs, to be the most interesting. Mainly because it's the one episode where I didn't get a bunch of well-known or better-told-elsewhere stories. Though, seeing those early Space Invaders designs and the talk about Street Fighter very enjoyable. If you're interested, it's worth a view.

Though! I will say if you haven't read or watched these other video game histories, do that too.

If you liked...

Ep. 1 - Arcades/Atari - Definitely watch Atari: Game Over, which in more in depth and I think deals with the video game crash and E.T. debacle in a more thoughtful manner.

Ep. 2 - Nintendo/NES - It's been a while since I picked it up, but the book Game Over by David Sheff was a deep dive into all of that.

Ep. 4 - Sega - Console Wars by Blake J. Harris is an addictive read and covers a bunch of the Sega/Sega of America origins and their battle with Nintendo

Ep. 6 - Doom - Masters of Doom by David Kushner is a great read about the whole id history.
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

Great recs, Dusk.

That Masters of Doom is particularly brilliant and I'm not even much of a fan of the games.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

In! In in IN! If I was any more in, I'd be coming out the other side. This looks fucking great!

I've been dubious all along, but I can't wait for this.

So far, Nolan and Burton have been the only ones to do Batman justice, but I'm excited for this.
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

duskvstweak wrote: August 19th, 2020, 3:56 am
Caligulas Horse wrote: August 18th, 2020, 12:38 pm I managed to bag The Hayao Miyazaki Collection on Blu-Ray for only 30 quid. I got it off Wish and I expected there to be some issue, but it's in perfect condition and works fine on my PS4. It still feels like it's too good to be true, I'm expecting it to randomly burst into flames at some point.

No way, I never knew that! That's actually one of the Ghibli movies that I have never seen, I'll have to watch it!
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

duskvstweak wrote: August 22nd, 2020, 7:06 pm Finished Netflix's High Score. It was fun, well presented and looks like they put some money behind it. A bit quirky. Strange to only focus on Yoshitaka Amano when talking Final Fantasy, but makes me wish their was a regular series like this, picking one topic, game, series or person to talk about. A thirty minute Yoshitaka Amano doc? Sure! I'm in!

I found the 3rd episodes, the one that focused on rpgs, to be the most interesting. Mainly because it's the one episode where I didn't get a bunch of well-known or better-told-elsewhere stories. Though, seeing those early Space Invaders designs and the talk about Street Fighter very enjoyable. If you're interested, it's worth a view.

Though! I will say if you haven't read or watched these other video game histories, do that too.

If you liked...

Ep. 1 - Arcades/Atari - Definitely watch Atari: Game Over, which in more in depth and I think deals with the video game crash and E.T. debacle in a more thoughtful manner.

Ep. 2 - Nintendo/NES - It's been a while since I picked it up, but the book Game Over by David Sheff was a deep dive into all of that.

Ep. 4 - Sega - Console Wars by Blake J. Harris is an addictive read and covers a bunch of the Sega/Sega of America origins and their battle with Nintendo

Ep. 6 - Doom - Masters of Doom by David Kushner is a great read about the whole id history.
Episode 4 and 6 definitely interest me. Anything Doom released always fires me up man. Thanks for the info! The only other place where I found documentaries like these were on YouTube via TheGamingHistorian and such.
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

Recently saw Life (released in 2017 - the one with the alien Calvin that hunts the astronauts of the ISS). Fantastic movie, very tense throughout and the astronauts do mostly sensible things to try to survive (with a few stupid things thrown in of course, because it is a horror movie after all). Has anyone here seen it?
Caligulas Horse

Saw Tenet yesterday, it's a cacophonous pulsating mess and I had a lot of fun with it.

It moves at a blistering speed through locations that span the planet and conversations with a variety of secret agents, arms dealers and science people. You're constantly being pummeled with information, it's overwhelming and you're never given a minute to breath. The sound gave me a head ache. The characters are paper thin and the dialogue is pretty terrible- even putting aside the monotonous exposition- there are some really on the nose and cliche lines that had me quietly giggling under my mask. There are so many reasons to dislike this film, but at a certain point I just allowed myself to get swept up in the pandemonium of it. As you'd expect from a Nolan film, the action set pieces are spectacular. The illogicality of what you're seeing can make it so confusing as to rob it of any suspense, but it's unlike anything else I've seen and I was thrilled by it, even when I had no idea what was actually happening. This is a film where a plane crashes into a building because Christopher Nolan wanted to crash a plane into a building. It's basically James Bond with an incomprehensible sci-fi concept. It might be a load of nonsense, but it's pretty cool.
Caligulas Horse

duskvstweak wrote: August 19th, 2020, 3:56 am

Ah damn, that's pretty cool. I always go for the Japanese audio, but I know the Ghibli dubs are meant to be among the best. I'm thinking I'll give it a go when I watch Kiki's Delivery Service since that has Phil Hartman.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Can't remember if I already said, but I've been watching Brooklyn 99. It's great when you discover a show already with six seasons out.