Whatcha Been Watching?

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
AndyKurosaki

Re: Whatcha Been Watching?

Post by AndyKurosaki »

I've seen Game Of Thrones Series 1, but as you say, there's no reason whatsoever to casually mention 2 main deaths, and a major event of Series 2 (luckily I've read all the books, so I knew about that anyway).
Ironically, earlier in the same issue, at the top of one of the pages, they apologise to Johnathan Ross for "spoiling" The Walking Dead for him. And then they go and do the same for these two shows.
Pathetic really.
Dante Fireseed

Post by Dante Fireseed »

I saw a good film on US Netflix the other day, Melancholia, my fave Von Trier film so far. Well worth a watch if you're into his films, or dark films generally.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Dante Fireseed wrote:I saw a good film on US Netflix the other day, Melancholia, my fave Von Trier film so far. Well worth a watch if you're into his films, or dark films generally.
Melancholia made me so nervous. Von Trier really knows how to get under your skin. One of the best working today, even if I kind of hate him, as a person.
countstex

Post by countstex »

Just coming to the end of Heroes Season 2, I seem to remember everyone hating this season, but other than being a little directionless I'm not having any issues with it.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

countstex wrote:Just coming to the end of Heroes Season 2, I seem to remember everyone hating this season, but other than being a little directionless I'm not having any issues with it.
Don't watch anymore, trust me ;)
countstex

Post by countstex »

DomsBeard wrote:
countstex wrote:Just coming to the end of Heroes Season 2, I seem to remember everyone hating this season, but other than being a little directionless I'm not having any issues with it.
Too late, we have teh BluRay box set, but then I often enjoy things others find tedious. I even liked the ending of LOST
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

countstex wrote:
DomsBeard wrote:
Too late, we have teh BluRay box set, but then I often enjoy things others find tedious. I even liked the ending of LOST
I liked the ending of Lost, the final series of Heroes is very very weak and I was absolutely mental for heroes when it came out. They either ran out of ideas or were going to be cancelled after x episodes. There's some interesting characters in the last 2 series don't get me wrong but story wise weak.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Heroes season 2 was enough to stop me watching. If seasons 3 & beyond were worse then hoooo boy.

I went to see Berberian Sound Studio. A dark, funny, intense, surreal mind-fuck of a film with the most astonishing sound.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/aug ... dio-review
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1833844/
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

I really enjoyed Heroes series 1, I've never seen the rest of them. Sounds like that was for the best really.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

AndyKurosaki wrote:I really enjoyed Heroes series 1, I've never seen the rest of them. Sounds like that was for the best really.
I think you're pretty spot on there. The first series was incredible.
Buckled Kipper

Post by Buckled Kipper »

ratsoalbion wrote:
I went to see Berberian Sound Studio. A dark, funny, intense, surreal mind-fuck of a film with the most astonishing sound.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/aug ... dio-review
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1833844/
I'm desperate to see that film, but as usual art house films don't make it as far as Cornwall.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Heroes is the perfect example of building a brand with good writers then getting rid of them for cheaper writers and having the other writers work on something else. Happens all too often in TV.

It ended up being ridiculous where any potentially interesting characters were just having their powers taken by an all too powerful enemy, meaning you never really got anything other than "oooh, new power > kill person > yet another power > end episode", became all too obvious.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

I liked Heroes season 1, but didn't love it. I imagine Heroes Season 1 was more impressive if you are unfamiliar with the material it's riffing on. Although I will say, Heroes season 1 is a better adaptation of Watchmen than Zach Synder's all surface and no substance version.......Pixar's The Incredibles is still the best adaptation of Watchmen.
SqueezyCheesyPeas

Post by SqueezyCheesyPeas »

Heroes season 1 is one of my favourite TV series, certainly in my top 5 but I gave up on season 2 after about 5 episodes and don't intend to ever watch beyond that. The drop in quality was so quick. It was a shame as I think the potential was there to create something very special and it was wasted.
Benjo321

Post by Benjo321 »

All this talk of Heroes has reminded me ... anyone watched Alphas? Meant to be similar to Heroes but much better.

Lately I've been watching Wallander. I'd never seen any of them before, which is strange considering my love of Scandinavian films and TV shows. Started with the BBC version which is very good indeed. Will definitely check out the Swedish films as well.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

SqueezyCheesyPeas wrote:Heroes season 1 is one of my favourite TV series, certainly in my top 5 but I gave up on season 2 after about 5 episodes and don't intend to ever watch beyond that. The drop in quality was so quick. It was a shame as I think the potential was there to create something very special and it was wasted.
Personally Heroes wouldn't make my top 5, or even Top 10 for that matter. As enjoyable as Series 1 was, I've never felt the need to buy the DVD, and when every series was available on Virgin TV XL earlier this year, I didn't get round to it.
It sounds like what happened to Prison Break, the first 2 series were mostly excellent. But then Series 3 was a bit 'meh'. Series 4 I rented, and after a few episodes I thought "Jesus. That's enough for me, I'm done".
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

The Raid and The Hunger Games.

Really liked them both but I preferred the gritty, brutal murders of The Raid. Uncut, subtitled version was intense!
mik

Post by mik »

New season of The Thick of It. My favorite TV show... ever. :)
Buckled Kipper

Post by Buckled Kipper »

Just back from seeing Dredd. Huge sigh of relief as its bloody brilliant. I read a lot of 2000ad back in the 80's and it's just a joy to see that world bought to life.

It's great to see independent cinema having a crack at sci fi & using genuine fans like Alex Garland to keep it true to the comics. Hope to god they make a load of money so that we get the proposed sequel.
SqueezyCheesyPeas

Post by SqueezyCheesyPeas »

3 episodes to go on season 5 of Californication. Hank Moody may be my favourite character from television and for me, this is one of the best seasons so far. Cracking stuff.