Whatcha Been Watching?

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Combine Hunter

Whatcha Been Watching?

Post by Combine Hunter »

This thread can be about movies and television

Breaking Bad, it continues to be one of the best dramas on TV. Some absolutely stunning performances, especially from Bryan Cranston.

I have also been watching the accused, and the latest one was completely depressing, but utterly brilliant. Olivia Colman once again proving she is one of the best actresses alive, and not enough people know it.
dezm0nd

Re: Whatcha Been Watching?

Post by dezm0nd »

Louie remains one of my favourite dark comedies ever. It really has its own vibe which is just plain odd and wonderful.

Also, Breaking Bad but Josh said it perfectly.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

When I'm not being poncey at my local independent/arthouse cinema (the wonderful Duke of York's in Brighton) I like to watch some right crap sometimes. With this in mind I watched Piranha (2010) on US Netflix the other night. Very silly, as expected. Couldn't really recommend it though there are a couple of chuckles to be had.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

I have recently decided that I will watch all of The Shield. I had seen a few seasons before, but I was in high school at the time, and my tastes have significantly changed since then (plus, my memory of the show is foggy). Plus, Sean says it's his favourite televised crime drama. And so I wanted to give this show the attention it deserved, so when I say The Wire is the best crime drama on TV, that statement has a little more weight. Or who knows, maybe I'll prefer The Shield!...nahhhh!

Anyway, I'm 8 episodes into season 1 and I'm really enjoying it. It's a lot more bombastic and "fun" than The Wire, but not in a bad way, and it is extremely well written and acted. It's not really fair to compare The Wire to The Shield though, as the two shows motivations are completely different. The Shield (at the moment) is a focused study of a fairly extreme character, Vic Mackey. And it's a very tense show, throwing the characters and the audience into increasingly worse situations. The Wire has TONS of GREAT characters (Omar FTW), but the show isn't "really" about them. It's much more about the bigger picture, and how these people affect life in the inner city. The Wire is also very philosophical and political, and often the best scenes are just a few characters talking about the world they live in.

It will be interesting to see how The Shield progresses though.
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

Watched the season premiere of Doctor Who this afternoon. It was okay. I still don't think Moffat's writing has been on anything but a steady down slope since he took over for Davies, though.
General Aquila

Post by General Aquila »

Roy42 wrote:Watched the season premiere of Doctor Who this afternoon. It was okay. I still don't think Moffat's writing has been on anything but a steady down slope since he took over for Davies, though.
There was definitely some holes in the plot, but I'm looking forward to se what he does this series anyway.
Buckled Kipper

Post by Buckled Kipper »

Got The Raid Redemption on Blu ray (us multi region) the other day after having previously only seen it on a pretty crappy Internet stream. Really great film and has perfect pacing to it. Looking forward to seeing what they do with the sequel.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

My girlfriend and I started watching Breaking Bad the other night on Netflix. Only up to a couple of episodes in to season 2, but loving it so far.

The last thing I watched was Once Upon A Time, which I really liked. I've been in a bit of a TV limbo since Lost finished, trying to find something to fill that gap. I know it divided opinion, but I really considered it the greatest television show ever made. I absolutely loved it, even the ending. I don't think anything will ever come along like that again, a once in a lifetime show.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Recently re-watched both Firefly and Serenity (best ever sci-fi/western mash-up!) gonna make a start watching Game of Thrones (best ever violent fantasy with nudity!) from the very beginning once again as it's simply too damn long before series three starts.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

Combine Hunter wrote:I have recently decided that I will watch all of The Shield.
What a fantastic show. There are times when I was watching the box sets that I chained together several because I simply had to know what happened next. In fact, I think I lost a couple of complete Sundays to it!

It is quite difficult to compare to The Wire, as it has more of a procedural element to it, but both those shows are in my all time favourites. Mackay is a great character to watch over the seasons. One episode he'll leave you grinning, another open mouthed in disbelief. It also has one of my favourite final seasons, which is pretty good as I tend to get a bit fatigued with things that run for a long time.

I've been kicking it old school recently, having watched the film I went back to the old BBC version of Tinker Tailor with Alec Guinness. It was quite interesting to watch something from an era of TV I haven't seen much of. Very slow paced, and with oppressive smokey interiors, it did seem to capture the atmosphere really well. Though, if I hadn't seen the film I'm not sure I would have followed it quite as well.

Wilfred is also back on BBC3. I absolutely loved the first season (US version).
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I decided to try and watch the worst film I could find on Netflix the other night whilst I was waiting to pick up my Mrs from a nightout. Step forward two headed shark attack....

Awful film to sum it up best would be to say that Carmen Electra plays a doctor, need I say more?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

It's worse than Nude Nuns With Big Guns?
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Probably as it sounds like your film had nude nuns in it! ;)
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

Breaking Bad continues to blow my mind on a weekly basis.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

RoboticMonk3y wrote:Breaking Bad continues to blow my mind on a weekly basis.
My head is close to exploding just thinking of how it can possibly end!

The finale for season 4 was powerful enough but it's so intense to see that it's still not even showing a hint of a crack in its armour and we're so close to the end.
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

JaySevenZero wrote:Recently re-watched both Firefly and Serenity (best ever sci-fi/western mash-up!)…
Going to contest that with Cowboy Bebop, though it might be far less aesthetically Western than Firefly.
mikeleddy83 wrote:
RoboticMonk3y wrote:Breaking Bad continues to blow my mind on a weekly basis.
My head is close to exploding just thinking of how it can possibly end!

The finale for season 4 was powerful enough but it's so intense to see that it's still not even showing a hint of a crack in its armour and we're so close to the end.
But are we really so close to the end? Unless it's been confirmed that this is the last season or that AMC has yet to renew it for more seasons, it doesn't seem like it has any intention of winding down in five more episodes.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

They have officially announced that this is the last season of Breaking Bad
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

I went through series 1 to 3 of Breaking Bad in just under two weeks last month, it's without a doubt my favourite show of all time. It starts off brilliantly, and just gets bettter from there. Waiting till next month for Series 4 to come out on DVD, I see it's on Netflix now but my piss-poor connection won't handle it.

Absolutely unmissable.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Oh and Combine you're in for a real treat with The Shield, it's yet another fantastic series, filled with unforgetable moments. Enjoy :D
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

AndyKurosaki wrote:Oh and Combine you're in for a real treat with The Shield, it's yet another fantastic series, filled with unforgetable moments. Enjoy :D
Don't read this unless you've finished the whole of The Shield. (Sorry to be a tease Combine!)
Spoiler: show
Shane and the grenade. Shane and his family. Wow :o