Whatcha Been Watching?

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Feirsteax

Re: Whatcha Been Watching?

Post by Feirsteax »

Oh, my god I forgot to tell you all about GunBuster, which, if you enjoyed Neon Genesis Evangelion, I recommend you should watch immediately.

It's the same director, Hideaki Anno, their directorial debut in 1989, and it's got a fair few of the same themes as NGE, but is different enough as well to be worth the watch.

It's got a kind of hard sci-fi flavour to it, with high concept physics stuff being introduced to the story and the integrated into the world. The main character, Noriko, is a kind of predecessor to NGE's Shinji, as she's a similarly inexperienced young cadet who finds herself thrown into the heart of a futuristic battle to save mankind.

I loved it for a few reasons, one was the aesthetic is absolutely top notch, there's lots of beautiful scenes of planets and spaceships and stuff like that, and the retro anime style is really great. The drawing and animation is so nice.

Another thing is the story is really quite simple, but still manages to be poignant and very well told, and I found myself really empathising with Noriko as the story went on, especially with the way her whole world is turned upside down multiple times. The cast is fairly small as well but each character with the exception of one or two is memorable and plays a good role in the series.

It's got high-concept philosophical and existential themes and deals with them fairly well, but doesn't go completely over-the-top bananas with them like NGE did. Not saying it's a bad thing that NGE did that, just pointing out that GunBuster is a little more restrained in that regard, and it's still really good.

It's only SIX EPISODES long! It can be watched in a few short nights, and it's brilliant.

It does have two drawbacks which might put some people off, however:

1. Too much fanservice. I mean do Noriko and her friends really need to be naked for this scene? Does she really need to tear off her top during that one moment? Not really, but unfortunately it's a fairly regular occurence and you kind of just have to put up with it.

2. This one isn't technically a drawback of GunBuster, since it's to do with the 20-years-later sequel that was published by Gainax for some baffling reason (I assume to milk a beloved franchise for cash). The sequel, DieBuster, is absolutely dire. More fanservice, less interesting characters, and some garish 3D CGI mechs which stick out like a sore thumb. All that held together with a plot that more or less reads like some dodgy fan fiction with loads of shoehorned-in references to the original to remind the fans that this is supposed to be a sequel, and you've got a giant stinking pie of offal. I'd personally recommend skipping the hell out of it, but don't let it put you off watching the original GunBuster.

Anyone else seen it? I was inspired to watch it after I saw Infinity Review's video on NGE, and at the end he recommended it, without much explanation as to what it was. So glad I watched it, absolutely loved it.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

I've been watching this and bloody loving it!

Shares a not too disimilar vibe to Donald Glover's Atlanta (which I also think is bloody brilliant) but with perhaps a touch less pathos.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I finally finished season 5 of Better Call Saul, and it was brilliant. Best so far. Can't wait for season 6!

I also started rewatching Peep Show from the start on Netflix, and it's as good as it ever was.
Tolkientaters

Post by Tolkientaters »

Adding to Jay's recommendation, Reservation Dogs is great.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Because I caught a clip of it on YouTube which in turn piqued my interest I've been watching Season 1 of SEE

Only a few episodes in but it's definitely holding my interest with some solid world building. Set in the future after a pandemic wiped out most of humanity centuries earlier and those who survived having lost their sight and the civilisations that have grown from them now think of sight as a mere myth and the mention of it is deemed heretical.

There's 8 episodes in season with season 2 having just started, and a season 3 confirmed. The only downside being that it's on Apple TV+. However, if you have a PS5 you can get yourself a free 6 month trial.

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/deals ... ps5-offer/
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Went to see Candyman and thought it was really good. I haven't seen the original so might have missed some context but it was a really tense film that was perfect for my level of horror threshold which is quite low, so don't expect anything particularly scary. I was expecting more of a comedic element like in Get Out and Us as some reviews said there was, but I didn't really think anything was that amusing really. Highly reccomended if you have enjoyed Jordan Peele's other films.
Tolkientaters

Post by Tolkientaters »

Just wondering has anyone on this forum seen Comrade Detective. I've really been enjoying it

For all the people who haven't seen it, Comrade Detective is a comedy series filmed in Romania with Romanian actors in Romanian that's set up as an old communist propaganda show that's been obviously dubbed by American actors. It's a pretty weird set up, but there's not much like it and I'm finding it really funny.
Tolkientaters

Post by Tolkientaters »

Truk_Kurt wrote: August 31st, 2021, 10:02 am Went to see Candyman and thought it was really good. I haven't seen the original so might have missed some context but it was a really tense film that was perfect for my level of horror threshold which is quite low, so don't expect anything particularly scary. I was expecting more of a comedic element like in Get Out and Us as some reviews said there was, but I didn't really think anything was that amusing really. Highly reccomended if you have enjoyed Jordan Peele's other films.
I'd definitely recommend check out the original, it's a really great 90s horror movie that holds up.
Seph

Post by Seph »

The new Candyman is great. It's basically just
Spoiler: show
ACAB: The movie.
It's a little on the nose at times (especially the final act), but I like how they recontexualised
Spoiler: show
racist murders in American history
to add into the lore of the character. I'm curious to see if they do another, but I think this stands well on its own. The use of the mirror imagery was very well done and immersive. When the film started I almost got up to complain that it was being projected the wrong way.

I saw that Jordan Peele's next film will have Michael Wincott in it. I miss hearing that amazing voice in films.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Seph wrote: September 3rd, 2021, 2:18 pm The use of the mirror imagery was very well done and immersive. When the film started I almost got up to complain that it was being projected the wrong way.
Haha, same here!
Cornelius_Smiff

Post by Cornelius_Smiff »

Marvel's 'What if...?' is superb and my biggest new show is 'Heels' drama set in the wrestling business, with a very bright future if they play their cards right. CM Punk is also a pretty good actor!
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

For true crime fans, Cocaine Cowboys: The Kings of Miami on Netflix is like Miami Vice in reverse, focussing on the villains, and it’s quite the tale - some of it really beggars belief! I don’t watch a lot of TV, but I really enjoyed this!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I started watching Mortimer and Whitehouse Gone Fishing again from the start, because much as I hate the idea of fishing, the gentle all round pleasantness of the program is about all my brain can cope with at the moment. It really is a great TV show.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

Went to see the film Pig over the weekend, it’s the best film I’ve seen for a number of years. It stars Nicolas Cage and sounds like a John Wick rip off but it really isn’t as it’s more a drama than action film. Probably my favourite Cage film. Highly recommended
Seph

Post by Seph »

Alex79 wrote: September 12th, 2021, 7:27 pm I started watching Mortimer and Whitehouse Gone Fishing again from the start, because much as I hate the idea of fishing, the gentle all round pleasantness of the program is about all my brain can cope with at the moment. It really is a great TV show.
It's not a show I seek out, but when it's on I'll watch it to the end. Like you, I don't get the concept of fishing and why people do it, but a show featuring two of our best and naturally funny people just being themselves is fantastic telly.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah, Bob Mortimer is just endlessly watchable/listenable to. Love that guy! I showed the kids some clips of old The Smell Of Reeves And Mortimer on YouTube and they were killing themselves laughing at the slapstick.
Marlew

Post by Marlew »

I've been 'lucky' to have done quite a lot of fly-fishing on the Tweed and there is something very meditative and intensely focused about it that becomes very addictive. The technique of casting and simply reading the river is an endlessly deep pool of knowledge, practice and experience. I could actually do that all day without catching anything, and I have done on several occasions, and I still had a fantastic time. The mechanical technique of actually catching and reeling in a fish is also incredibly challenging and satisfying and exhilarating. Being up to your waist in a fast flowing river in a beautiful part of Scotland with nobody in sight and a salmon on the fly as the reel fizzes off into the distance is a unique feeling.

It's just that one day I suddenly felt deep in my bones that it was absolutely fucking barbaric and I've never done it since. I completely regret ever doing it, but I do understand the appeal.
Seph

Post by Seph »

Alex79 wrote: September 13th, 2021, 5:04 pm Yeah, Bob Mortimer is just endlessly watchable/listenable to. Love that guy! I showed the kids some clips of old The Smell Of Reeves And Mortimer on YouTube and they were killing themselves laughing at the slapstick.
I got his new biography from Audible this week with some offer credits, so I'm looking forward to getting the time to listen to that. I like the little details he adds to stories. Would I Lie To You is great anyway, but when Bob is on I'm sure the rest of the panelists are happy to take the night off and get paid to laugh on screen.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

I binged Squid Game. It's a tense, bloody thriller series about human nature, and being tormented by money and its absence. It manifests that with a series of games that look like Takeshi's Castle meets Fall Guys, but where you are instantly murdered if you fail. The tension as each new game is being announced and set up... You could cut it with a knife. It has a weird aesthetic, lots of juicy plot twists and is determined to cleave to its theming and subtext no matter how shocking the events on-screen become.

I was hyped for this for a while as the excellent Lee Jung-jae plays the main character and he knocked it out of the park, he brings so much to the table as Gi-hun. There's also (spoilers) a couple of cameos by Korean acting royalty as the series wears on as well.

I thought it was really well paced, it's 9 episodes so not one of those shows where there's filler and flab, it doesn't spin its wheels at all. Especially in the first six episodes you're smashing from one big moment to the next and constantly on your toes, almost flawless really, I have some problems with episode 7 but I think the finale was great overall and stayed very much on message.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Slowly working our way through Ted Lasso season 2.

It's definitely a lot patchier than the sublime first season and seems to be really lacking a strong throughline to the story. They also seem to be struggling with balancing the disparate tones as successfully as season 1 did. The most recent episode was (imo) actually kind of bad. I really struggled to make it through and found most of the attempts at humour fell really flat. It was kind of an experimental episode and honestly felt like a completely different show.

Hopefully it gets back on track, but at the moment I'm worried that this will be one of those shows like Orange is the New Black, Stranger Things and Glow that might have been better off as a one and done miniseries like The Queens Gambit.