Whatcha Been Watching?

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Alex79

Re: Whatcha Been Watching?

Post by Alex79 »

We watched Searching last night. If you've not heard of it, a single dad's teenage daughter goes missing. The entire film takes place on the dads computer screen. Video calls, Internet searches, news footage. It's an interesting idea, and wasn't nearly as annoying as I thought it could possibly be. The film was actually very good, although the end felt a little rushed and took a bit of a leap of logic, I think.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Daredevil season 3 is amazing. It was worth sticking through The Defenders for. The guy who plays Kingpin really is something else
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Alex79uk wrote: October 28th, 2018, 7:45 am We watched Searching last night. If you've not heard of it, a single dad's teenage daughter goes missing. The entire film takes place on the dads computer screen. Video calls, Internet searches, news footage. It's an interesting idea, and wasn't nearly as annoying as I thought it could possibly be. The film was actually very good, although the end felt a little rushed and took a bit of a leap of logic, I think.
I really enjoyed it. Thought it was very well down with it's own limitations. Kept the tension strong for most of the movie.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

So, I have not liked Netflix's Castlevania series. Like, at all. I've found it slow and boring, pretentious, weirdly focused on Catholicism AND lacking the kinetic energy and fun soundtrack of the games. However, there was one part that I quite enjoyed that made me smile...
Spoiler: show
In the second to last episode of the 2nd season, for about five minutes, there's an extend action scene where the heroes finally show themselves to be dangerous vampire killers of the legendary quality. Not only that, the music kicks in and it's Bloody Tears! As the whole thing was happening, I kept asking, "Why wasn't this the whole series?" I don't know why they could get five minutes so right and get 12 episodes wrong, but there it is.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Netflix didnt have the budget to give Cavill a beard in The Witcher
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

DomsBeard wrote: October 31st, 2018, 5:28 pm Netflix didnt have the budget to give Cavill a beard in The Witcher
Just use his leftover Justice League facial hair! I don't get it!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Clearly his beard will be growing in real time, guys. Come on now.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Just watched Summer Of '84. I thought it was a highly enjoyable film with a great ending. Reminded me in equal measure of Stranger Things, Stand By Me and The Goonies, without really being like any of those things. Worth watching.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Alex79uk wrote: November 18th, 2018, 9:41 pm Just watched Summer Of '84. I thought it was a highly enjoyable film with a great ending. Reminded me in equal measure of Stranger Things, Stand By Me and The Goonies, without really being like any of those things. Worth watching.
I'll add it to my list!
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I've been in a mood lately, so I watched The Raid, Man of Tai Chi, Rumble in the Bronx and IP Man, all for the first time. I need more!
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

duskvstweak wrote: November 19th, 2018, 12:25 am I've been in a mood lately, so I watched The Raid, Man of Tai Chi, Rumble in the Bronx and IP Man, all for the first time. I need more!
Then I'd recommend watching 'The Night Comes for Us" on Netflix
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I watched the four episode James Acaster thing on Netflix over the last couple of days. Aside from ripping Stewart Lee off slightly on one of them, it's some of the best stand up I've seen in quite a while.

Speaking of which, Daniel Kitson currently had a show available to 'rent' for £3 on his website. His stuff is notoriously difficult to get on video (as in it doesn't even exist), so I'll definitely be checking that out over the weekend.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

JaySevenZero wrote: November 22nd, 2018, 1:50 pm
duskvstweak wrote: November 19th, 2018, 12:25 am I've been in a mood lately, so I watched The Raid, Man of Tai Chi, Rumble in the Bronx and IP Man, all for the first time. I need more!
Then I'd recommend watching 'The Night Comes for Us" on Netflix
Ha! I just watched that this week, and would totally second that recommendation!

Really wish more of Timo Tjahjanto's movies were so easily available...
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

We just watched Hold The Dark, a new film on Netflix from the guy who directed Green Room.

I didn't really like it. It has a lot of positives. Each scene taken out of context is actually really good, but together it just didn't form a coherent story. I like films open to interpretation, but this just felt vague for the sake of it.

Tough to recommend, but I'm interested if anyone else has watched it?
Joshihatsumitsu

Alex79uk wrote: November 24th, 2018, 10:33 pm We just watched Hold The Dark, a new film on Netflix from the guy who directed Green Room.

I didn't really like it. It has a lot of positives. Each scene taken out of context is actually really good, but together it just didn't form a coherent story. I like films open to interpretation, but this just felt vague for the sake of it.

Tough to recommend, but I'm interested if anyone else has watched it?
I kinda felt the same way. I think the issue lies with Macon Blair's screenplay (Blue Ruin and Green Room were written, as well as directed, by Jeremy Saulnier) which compared to previous films is far more meandering. Cutting half an hour out of it's running time would improve it considerably.

There's some amazing scenes in Hold the Dark, and I would still recommend it with tempered expectations. It's definitely no Blue Ruin.
Pitwar

Post by Pitwar »

I've been catching up on Better Call Saul, and have 3 episodes of season 3 left to go, then it's on to season 4.

I'm going to say it, it's better than Breaking Bad, which was a series I adored so this is high praise indeed.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I started season four last night. It's really good, but I don't know if I enjoy it more than Breaking Bad. I do think the somewhat glacial pace works, and the characters are brilliant, but I wouldn't mind a little more, I don't know, stuff happening..?
Joshihatsumitsu

I wanted more Timo Tjahanto on Netflix, and I got what I wanted! I recently watched Headshot (2016) and May the Devil Take You (2018).

Headshot is easily the better of the two, and it felt like a bit of a warm up to 2018's The Night Comes for Us (similar to how Merantau felt like a warm up to The Raid).

May the Devil Take You suffers a bit from it's long running time. I'm going to go with my typical solution of cut a good half hour out, and tighten it up. There's a good movie somewhere in there, and visually it's strong, but I got a bit bored at times, and while a quicker pace wouldn't have fixed everything, it would have kept my attention better.

It's not unique to that movie alone: there are plenty of Netflix movies meandering around the two hour mark, for no other reason than because they can. I used to seek out director's cuts and extended versions of films, thinking that's what the artist intended, and that the studio interfered.

But as I get older I start to prefer the theatrical cut, and realised that sometimes there's a very good reason things get left out, and usually it's a decision based on what's best for the final product, not what's best for the artist ego.

It's not always easy to take a step back from something you've injected so much of your time and effort, and to be objective, and having someone else be a little bit ruthless can make something better.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I saw Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse and, while I might be too old and set in my ways to ever say that Spider-Man 2 isn't my favorite, I might have to accept that this new movie might possibly be the best Spider-Man movie yet. I really enjoyed it, loved all the characters, the visual style, the music and I found it to be exciting and inspiring. It's really great, did a lot more for me than Homecoming.

Also saw Creed II. Very good movie with a little less agency than the first. But, it does a good job making all the characters sympathetic, so much so that I wasn't sure who I wanted to win the fight at the end. And Michael B. Jordan does a lot with a little in this one. If you liked Creed, or are a Rocky fan, absolutely see it.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I watched House of Saddam, a BBC/HBO co-production mini-series about the rise and fall of the former Iraqi dictator.

It bears most of the flaws of the made-for-TV format: The production values are rather low, it's sometimes noticeable that the actors only had a limited number of takes to perfect their scenes, and the writing suffers from the same low-rent-Godfather syndrome that the vast majority of western scripts involving violent patriarchal structures have had for the past 40+ years. But I found it rather interesting for the most part, if only because it tries to show a (mostly) local perspective on his reign and family dynamics. Not outstanding in any way, but definitely worth watching if you're interested in pseudo-documentary fiction.