Whatcha Been Watching?

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
FemalePheromones

Re: Whatcha Been Watching?

Post by FemalePheromones »

Alex79uk wrote: July 9th, 2019, 3:58 pm That's the exact scene I always single out. It's so powerful, exactly as you say, they realise there is no escaping death and bravely accept their end together. Amazing stuff.
Would be a great ending to the series but they have to be saved for sequels because you can't stop squeezing that cash cow.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I saw Once Upon a Time in...Hollywood. I must have lost all my constitution because I had to close my eyes when the movie got violent. When it's just dealing with Hollywood and Leo's character's career, the movie is a lot of fun. When it's dealing with the Manson cult, I was less interested.
I wanted to like this movie more because there's a lot I do like, but, as a whole, it didn't rock my world. Probably in the middle of the pack for me with Tarantino movies, but I'm sure many others will disagree.
Spoiler: show
The scene with Leo describing the book he's reading might be my favorite part.
Caligulas Horse

Post by Caligulas Horse »

Does anyone on here watch Dark? I just finished the s2 series and I thought it was brilliant, although I'm not too sure of the very last scene.

I know it's got a bit of a cult following and good reviews but I still think it is a bit overlooked, the only people I know who watch it are the friend that told me about it and the few friends I managed to convince to give it a go. I think there are a few reasons, one being the fact it is German and Netflix automatically starts it with the terrible dub but I suspect the biggest one is that people write it off as a Stranger Things knock-off without seeing it, I did until a pal set me straight. It does share some similarities with Stranger Things - It's a Science Fiction series that starts with a boy going missing, it's set in a small town and there is some 80's nostalgia (kinda) buut these similarities are pretty superficial imo, the tone and plot are completely different (Dark is a lot more Dark :O).

The plot is complicated but easy enough to keep up with, it's gripping whether you know what is happening or not. It's the kind of show that constantly pulls the rug out from underneath you without ever feeling cheap, basically it's pure headfuckkery Science Fiction. If you're a fan of films like Primer or Coherence you definitely need to see this series.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Just finished season 7 of Game Of Thrones.

Ooooooooooooooh shiiiiiiiiit....
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Anyone watching The Boys on Amazon Prime. It’s based on one of my favourite comic books and so far I’m impressed. It takes a while to get over Karl Urban’s dodgy accent but after that it keeps getting better.

At the beginning of every episode there’s a massive warning about violence, nudity etc so not for the faint hearted.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

No, but I'm planning to. I only ever got about 20 issues in to the comics and always meant to finish them.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I didn't love the comic, but if anyone is interested, most of the series is free with Comixology Unlimited, so you could do the free trial, read them and then just discontinue the subscription.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Alex79uk wrote: August 1st, 2019, 8:31 am No, but I'm planning to. I only ever got about 20 issues in to the comics and always meant to finish them.
You should. Definitely not one to put on when the kids are around, nearby or even within earshot.

You liked Preacher right? Similar vibes. Imagine that series crossed with Watchmen.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

duskvstweak wrote: August 1st, 2019, 3:27 pm I didn't love the comic, but if anyone is interested, most of the series is free with Comixology Unlimited, so you could do the free trial, read them and then just discontinue the subscription.
After 5 mins I already had three nice things to say about it😉
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Simonsloth wrote: August 1st, 2019, 5:49 pm
After 5 mins I already had three nice things to say about it😉
I get that reference!

I have been meaning to start Good Omens, but I think I want to read the book first. I got to get to that...
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Simonsloth wrote: August 1st, 2019, 5:47 pm
Alex79uk wrote: August 1st, 2019, 8:31 am No, but I'm planning to. I only ever got about 20 issues in to the comics and always meant to finish them.
You should. Definitely not one to put on when the kids are around, nearby or even within earshot.

You liked Preacher right? Similar vibes. Imagine that series crossed with Watchmen.
Loved the Preacher comics, but only got a couple of episodes in to the series. Another I keep meaning to watch. Trouble is if I have a show my GF isn't interested in, I find I have much less time to try and watch it. Currently making my way through Death Note. Had to find dodgy copies since Netflix dropped the English dubbed version and only have subbed now. It's one of the few shows where the dub is better than the sub.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Alex79uk wrote: August 1st, 2019, 7:26 pm
Simonsloth wrote: August 1st, 2019, 5:47 pm

Loved the Preacher comics, but only got a couple of episodes in to the series. Another I keep meaning to watch. Trouble is if I have a show my GF isn't interested in, I find I have much less time to try and watch it. Currently making my way through Death Note. Had to find dodgy copies since Netflix dropped the English dubbed version and only have subbed now. It's one of the few shows where the dub is better than the sub.
My wife is the same. I have a huge list of things to finish that she gave up on after a few episodes. She’s loving The Boys so far because it takes your expectations of what a superhero show should be and turns it upside down. As long as it keeps being shocking and over the top she will keep watching.

The preacher series definitely gets better as the series goes on.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Oh yeah no doubt, I really enjoyed the first few episodes. American Gods is another she abandoned after one episode that I really want to watch. Started it again last night on my own but fell asleep watching it >_< I love the book though so really want to get it watched. The comic adaption is really good, too.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Just finished watching The Boys last night and I can honestly say I loved it and cannot wait for season 2. It’s only 8 episodes so not a massive investment and I would thoroughly recommend it.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Just watched The Long Night episode of GoT. Holy moly, everything is surely an anticlimax after that?
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

High and Low is definitely one of Kurosawa's best. Always nice to hear people discover this one. Absolute gem.

Haven't seen any of the others - will investigate further on occasion. :)
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I remember really liking Stray Dog as well. I might be wrong in thinking that was Mifune's first time teaming up with Takashi Shimura? I know I'd like the Criterion Collection to give it the blur-ay treatment.
In regards to Mifune, I still haven't seen Red Beard or the Samurai Trilogy. I think I enjoyed the documentary, Mifune: The Last Samurai, though it was a bit short for my tastes.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

ThirdMan wrote: August 8th, 2019, 12:17 pm Some Asian cinema courtesy of the Criterion Channel.
I didn't know this was a thing. I might have to check out that free trial...
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Okay, so I've seen...

Sanshiro Sugata
The Most Beautiful
Sanshiro Sugata Part II
The Men Who Tread on the Tiger's Tail
One Wonderful Sunday
Drunken Angel (I was wrong. This was Mifune and Takashi Shimura first time together in a Kurosawa film)
Stray Dog
Scandal
Rashomon
Seven Samurai
Throne of Blood
The Hidden Fortress
The Bad Sleep Well
Yojimbo
Kagemusha
Ran

I still have half of his films to watch. The man was non-stop.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

ThirdMan wrote: August 8th, 2019, 4:49 pm
duskvstweak wrote: August 8th, 2019, 3:40 pm I remember really liking Stray Dog as well. I might be wrong in thinking that was Mifune's first time teaming up with Takashi Shimura? I know I'd like the Criterion Collection to give it the blur-ay treatment.
In regards to Mifune, I still haven't seen Red Beard or the Samurai Trilogy. I think I enjoyed the documentary, Mifune: The Last Samurai, though it was a bit short for my tastes.
I've quite a few more Kurosawa's to watch. I haven't seen Red Beard yet either, or Stray Dog in fact. I don't think I've seen any of Mifune's work away from Kurosawa although the Samurai Trilogy is on the Criterion Channel so hopefully soon.
duskvstweak wrote: August 8th, 2019, 3:45 pm I didn't know this was a thing. I might have to check out that free trial...
Make the most of it! It's not available in Ireland so I had to jump though a number of hoops to get it working. The Android and Fire TV apps only show a fraction of the content. Think of them as a highlights reel. To access the A-Z you'll have to use a web browser and from there you can search by director, country, language and genre and add them to your watchlist.

I think the Fire TV has to be the most recent model. There's been a number of complaints about that. I'm not sure what other formats it's available on.

The majority of content on there is from either Criterion or their Eclipse imprint. If they published it in HD, that's what you'll get. The quality is fine for the price and especially so considering the library you're drawing from.

They also license a lot of movies from other right's holders.

So far about 20-30 movies leave the service each month, although most of these are the third-party stuff. There's also 30-40 added each month.
I'm glad you brought this to the forum! I guess this is what Film Struck became?
It's available on my Roku and it's looks real nice. In terms of Kurosawa, it has most of his films and in production order no less. I'm definitely going to get the free trial and dig through it all. Thanks for mentioning it!