Whatcha Been Watching?

This is the place where you can confab about all the other stuff besides videogames.
ThirdMan

Re: Whatcha Been Watching?

Post by ThirdMan » February 18th, 2019, 10:52 pm

Snip.

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard » February 19th, 2019, 9:34 am

DomsBeard wrote:
January 31st, 2019, 12:27 pm
I am finding Punisher season 2 very, very slow going (I am 4 episodes in).
A month down the line and 9 episodes in. I would highly recommend skipping this season entirely. Season 1 was fantastic, there has been nothing of interest at all in season 2. Dull characters, they literally park a story arc for 3 episodes in a trailer. I could go on but yeah avoid!

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » February 20th, 2019, 10:30 am

ThirdMan wrote:
February 18th, 2019, 10:52 pm
That brings to mind Asghar Farhgadi's A Separation and The Salesman. Those films, along with Babak Anvari's Under the Shadow, really challenged my preconceptions about daily life in Iran. It's a powerful feeling to peer into another country, another culture, and yet see your own life staring back at you.
I think you would enjoy The Insult, then. :)

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » February 20th, 2019, 4:08 pm

We started watching Line Of Duty, because we only watch British police dramas, apparently. Its good. Really good.

ThirdMan

Post by ThirdMan » February 22nd, 2019, 8:26 am

Snip.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » February 22nd, 2019, 9:09 am

Yes, only the free version though. I find it useful just when I hear of a film Im interested in to add to my watch list. Outside of that functionality I'm not really aware of what it can do, although I know people says it's great.

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard » February 22nd, 2019, 9:22 am

Alex79uk wrote:
February 20th, 2019, 4:08 pm
We started watching Line Of Duty, because we only watch British police dramas, apparently. Its good. Really good.
Yes it is very very good. Ironically I usually avoid British Police dramas but this is top drawer.

ThirdMan

Post by ThirdMan » February 22nd, 2019, 9:55 am

Snip.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » February 22nd, 2019, 10:12 am

DomsBeard wrote:
February 22nd, 2019, 9:22 am
Alex79uk wrote:
Yes it is very very good. Ironically I usually avoid British Police dramas but this is top drawer.
Haha yeah same here, it's just we've watched Luther and this back to back. I usually say all Britain makes is police dramas and reality shows, but there are a few good ones if you sift through.

Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 » February 22nd, 2019, 12:33 pm

Alex79uk wrote:
February 22nd, 2019, 10:12 am
DomsBeard wrote:
February 22nd, 2019, 9:22 am
Alex79uk wrote:
Haha yeah same here, it's just we've watched Luther and this back to back. I usually say all Britain makes is police dramas and reality shows, but there are a few good ones if you sift through.
You forgot period dramas!

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » February 23rd, 2019, 12:24 am

I watched Grizzly Man, a Werner Herzog documentary about Timothy Treadwell, a failed actor / wildlife activist / general weirdo who went to live among wild grizzly bears in a remote Alaskan region until he and his girlfriend met their... ursine fates.

Most of the film is composed of the man's own video footage, interspersed by interviews of friends and various professionals as well as occasional bits of narration by Herzog himself. It paints a picture of a rather maladjusted but well-intentioned individual who dedicated his life to something much bigger than himself. Who spent a staggering 35,000 hours living with awe-inspiring creatures he probably didn't understand nearly as well as he thought. It's equal parts admirable and tragic.

What took me by surprise was how... off some of the other characters felt at times. Almost like they're weird actors reading off a script, even though they're not. The coroner in particular is straight out of a Coen brothers movie. :?:

Anyway, worth a watch.

EDIT: Well apparently, Herzog was shot with an air rifle during a BBC interview while promoting this film, so my working theory is that the man simply exudes psychotropic pheromones that turn regular folks into Kinski-level loons. It's the only explanation that makes sense.

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » February 23rd, 2019, 8:44 am

Mark Kermode (famously caustic British movie critic) was the chap doing the interview at the time, he talks about it in one of his books.

They were up in the hills near the Hollywood sign, and the director wanted to try and get that into the back of the shot at some point, but the only place they could stand to do that was on someone’s private property, who took offence to someone being there and shot at them.

Mark talks about how Herzog insisted on carrying on with the interview even though he was quite clearly wounded enough to need stitches.

Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu » February 23rd, 2019, 10:21 am

I saw Grizzly Man on DVD a few years ago, courtesy of my uni's library, in between semesters when it wasn't in reserve, and yeah... not one that is forgotten.

My recent Good/Bad/Ugly:

Good: Alita: Battle Angel - I won't lie... this is not a good movie. This is a genuinely great movie (so this is kinda cheating). No point preaching to the converted, but as someone with no prior investment in the fiction, it drew me in very early, and left me wanting to dig even further into it afterwards. And if that isn't a sign/indicator of success, what is?

Bad: Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3 - too be honest, the story regarding the production of this movie is more interesting than the movie itself. It's a movie that had to make cuts in order to change the rating from X to NC-17, and even by modern Netflix/HBO standards, this is a sadistic movie. Not a good movie, but it's an unpretentious horror movie, and there's an appeal to the mythical/nonexistent directors cut that still kinda makes it worth it.

Ugly: The Babysitter - maybe the reason I'm more forgiving of Leatherface is because I saw that after this. To keep it brief, Samara Weaving (daughter of Hugo) is perhaps sole saving grace of this "movie". I forgot who directed this, until McG scrolled up at the end, and by then it made sense, and the damage was done. Jesus... at least I can easily place the blame of the screenplay and direction, so I guess thats another positive.

Conclusion: watch Alita. Already watched it? Watch it again.

ThirdMan

Post by ThirdMan » February 24th, 2019, 12:52 am

Snip.

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd » February 28th, 2019, 8:39 am

True Detective season 3 finale was incredible.

Powerful abd understated.

Nearing the end of better call saul s4, too. Its so good.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » February 28th, 2019, 4:09 pm

I watched Fyre on Netflix. Absolutely unbelievable! Fascinating documentary on the story of a failed festival. I'm sure everyone has heard of it by now.

I also watched White Gold on Netflix. A comedy from the writers (and some of the cast) of The Inbetweeners. Very similar in tone, it's about a group of double glazing salesmen in 80's Essex. It was good.

Also, of course, Alan Partridge'a glorious return to television. It was a work of genius, really couldn't have been better.

Also also also, we are halfway through the last season of Line Of Duty now. Really terrific stuff.

Oh yeah, I watched Ready Player One last weekend with my eldest, too. It was fairly enjoyable, although deviated from the book somewhat.

JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero » March 4th, 2019, 9:40 am

There's a South Korean TV series on Netflix called Kingdom and I thought it was quite different and actually really good.

If you're looking for something that has the bloodthirsty politics of Game of Thrones mixed in with a strong dose of Train to Busan then this could be your bag!

The first season is relatively short at only six episodes but filming for season 2 is currently underway and after the ending of episode 6 I'm so onboard for it.

Suits

Post by Suits » March 4th, 2019, 8:42 pm

As someone who grew frustrated and even mocked the slow release of Astroneer 1.0, I feel now feel enlightened and slightly down.

This is an another damn fine documentary by noclip.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » March 4th, 2019, 9:15 pm

Another brilliant episode of Alan Partridge tonight. I can't believe Coogan is still getting such pure gold out of the character, but he really is!

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » March 12th, 2019, 1:50 pm

I'm sure a bunch of us saw Captain Marvel, what did you all think?
I'm less thrilled with it the more I think about it, but I think personal mileage will vary.