Whatcha Been Watching?

This is the place where you can confab about all the other stuff besides videogames.
User avatar
Bloody Initiate
Member
Posts: 41
Joined: October 1st, 2015, 1:06 am

Re: Whatcha Been Watching?

Post by Bloody Initiate » April 25th, 2019, 10:00 pm

Finished up Peaky Blinders and around the same time knocked out Love, Death and Robots in a few evenings. That was over a month ago though and I feel like I haven't watched anything worthwhile since.

I've been having a hard time getting away from Youtube lately. I've been checking out some Fact Fiend with Karl Smallwood and an absolutely embarrassing amount of videos about guns.

Truth be told I'm hungry for something more cinematic, I loved Love Death and Robots (Even if I can't solidly recommend most of it or even say I liked most of it, I'm just so glad they made it. Its very existence makes me grin), and each episode of Game of Thrones whets my appetite for more.

Trouble is Netflix seems to exclusively have exclusives and new shows which are all a commitment. Even if a show is good, it doesn't mean I'm looking to get "hooked." I've been starving for unique action for such a long time I feel like I can't find it anywhere.

User avatar
Alex79uk
Member
Posts: 5368
Joined: September 2nd, 2012, 10:36 am
Location: Walsall, UK.
Contact:

Re: Whatcha Been Watching?

Post by Alex79uk » April 26th, 2019, 6:19 am

Do you have Amazon Prime? Tried American Gods?

User avatar
dezm0nd
Moderator
Posts: 3847
Joined: August 28th, 2012, 7:48 am
Location: Leighton Buzzard

Re: Whatcha Been Watching?

Post by dezm0nd » April 27th, 2019, 6:09 am

I watched Spiderverse last night. I've never seen a film like it, absolutely jaw dropping. I don't know much about this side of Spiderman but I definitely enjoyed it.

User avatar
Alex79uk
Member
Posts: 5368
Joined: September 2nd, 2012, 10:36 am
Location: Walsall, UK.
Contact:

Re: Whatcha Been Watching?

Post by Alex79uk » April 27th, 2019, 10:53 am

I'm almost finished with Better Call Saul and need my next show to watch. I have tons on my watchlist I've been meaning to get through for years, so, which should I go for first?

The Sopranos
Mad Men
Black Sails
Preacher (love the comic, only seen a couple of the series)
American Gods (same as above, but replace comic with book)
Deadwood
Game Of Thrones (has never interested me, but so many people can't be so wrong!?)

User avatar
Craig
Member
Posts: 571
Joined: October 25th, 2015, 12:04 pm

Re: Whatcha Been Watching?

Post by Craig » April 27th, 2019, 10:57 pm

Been watching through the latest live action series of The Tick and it’s pretty good. I only have vague memories of the cartoon show back in the day, but I like the tone this one sets. Mostly.

Sometimes it doesn’t quite know what it wants to be and has a tonal shift to the serious, which I think it would be better without. And sometimes I like the concepts (such as a superhero getting depressed because of negative comments on social media) but the execution doesn’t quite land.

The Tick works best when it’s leaning into the absurdity. Taking the logical conclusions of superheroes and super villain archetypes and putting them in the real world. It doesn’t always hit the mark, but it’s a pretty entertaining watch.

User avatar
clippa
Member
Posts: 1060
Joined: March 20th, 2019, 4:08 pm

Re: Whatcha Been Watching?

Post by clippa » April 28th, 2019, 12:10 am

I watched TV Junkie a couple of nights ago.

It's a documentary about a guy who got a video camera as a present when he was younger and filmed himself and his life a lot and later became a news reader/reporter and got into drugs.

It's quite unsettling because he comes across as quite a vain, shallow person who's always just acting the part, never truly being himself or sincere, he films himself proposing to his wife and it all seems very cold and big and designed to impress, the spotlights still on him, tellingly, when it should be on her, and he's always aware of the camera being there and sort of playing the lead role in his own movie.

I suppose self destruction is a kind of vanity, he's certainly romanticised it, there's a few shots where you think he's set them up in order to look cool, talking about his struggles with drugs, the camera pointing up to the moon while he smokes and looks off wistfully into the distance, looking all dark and mysterious.
You get the sense that this is how his mind works and he's like that even when the camera isn't rolling.

His wife is really pretty, she looks like a good edit of Charlotte Church, and he looks a lot like James Woods, he's got those big, kissable Chris Morris lips.

Sometimes they're acting out arguments in front of the camera and using their really young son as an audience too, as well as a pinball kicker, ricocheting their shit off him towards the other person, back and forth. It's fucking harrowing. He's really bawling his eyes out at times. That guy could drive drunk through 5 schoolyards and the judge would acquit him if he saw that footage.

I wish I'd talked about it just after I'd watched it because I don't feel like I've said everything I wanted to say or in the right way. It was just so draining.

Worth a watch, I'd say, if you're interested.

User avatar
Simonsloth
Member
Posts: 1047
Joined: November 22nd, 2017, 6:17 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Whatcha Been Watching?

Post by Simonsloth » April 28th, 2019, 7:04 am

Alex79uk wrote:
April 27th, 2019, 10:53 am
I'm almost finished with Better Call Saul and need my next show to watch. I have tons on my watchlist I've been meaning to get through for years, so, which should I go for first?

The Sopranos
Mad Men
Black Sails
Preacher (love the comic, only seen a couple of the series)
American Gods (same as above, but replace comic with book)
Deadwood
Game Of Thrones (has never interested me, but so many people can't be so wrong!?)
That’s some list!

Game of Thrones would be a good place to start what with all the previous episodes on demand at the moment if you’re a sky customer. Depending on your viewing habits you could even catch up in time for the finale. I’d say if you have sky you’ll save yourself a pretty penny if you watch them now as they aren’t on Netflix or Prime. Also it is a series that has so many shocking moments and twists that it could be spoiled very easily which can’t be said about the others as much. It’s also on the tip of everyone’s tongues. Watch it!

User avatar
Alex79uk
Member
Posts: 5368
Joined: September 2nd, 2012, 10:36 am
Location: Walsall, UK.
Contact:

Re: Whatcha Been Watching?

Post by Alex79uk » April 28th, 2019, 12:28 pm

Yeah I think we're going to start GoT tonight. To be honest, I got that sick of people telling me 'oh you'd love it', based on what I don't know, that I started actively refusing to watch it. It doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy, but we're going to try it!

User avatar
dezm0nd
Moderator
Posts: 3847
Joined: August 28th, 2012, 7:48 am
Location: Leighton Buzzard

Re: Whatcha Been Watching?

Post by dezm0nd » April 28th, 2019, 1:58 pm

The Sopranos is my favourite

User avatar
Simonsloth
Member
Posts: 1047
Joined: November 22nd, 2017, 6:17 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Whatcha Been Watching?

Post by Simonsloth » April 28th, 2019, 2:14 pm

dezm0nd wrote:
April 28th, 2019, 1:58 pm
The Sopranos is my favourite
Probably mine too but less likely to get water cooler spoilers for Sopranos than GoT ;)

User avatar
Joshihatsumitsu
Member
Posts: 1021
Joined: September 12th, 2016, 1:55 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Whatcha Been Watching?

Post by Joshihatsumitsu » April 29th, 2019, 9:47 pm

Hey, are you looking for a movie to bond with your kids, but you've already watched all the Marvel movies many time over? Well pull out the old video player, ask Siri to pull up Alexa, drag your icon to the select menu, press initiate, jack into the matrix, and watch The Eyes of my Mother.

Now, granted, this is a horror movie, but at least when 1 am ticks over on the bedside table alarm, you and your children can bond over the nightmares you've just experienced! :D

To pull a quote from the AV Club:Movies designed to make audiences feel really bad rarely look so good.

Indeed, it is a beautifully shot movie, with brilliant sound design. And at a trim 76 minutes it is very deliberately paced, and wastes no time.

If your looking for a horror movie to traumatise you, or your family, or your date, make it this one. They will hate you.

User avatar
Alex79uk
Member
Posts: 5368
Joined: September 2nd, 2012, 10:36 am
Location: Walsall, UK.
Contact:

Re: Whatcha Been Watching?

Post by Alex79uk » May 11th, 2019, 6:23 pm

Just started season two of Game Of Thrones.

I am reluctantly loving it.

User avatar
duskvstweak
Member
Posts: 610
Joined: August 23rd, 2017, 4:40 pm
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: Whatcha Been Watching?

Post by duskvstweak » May 11th, 2019, 11:27 pm

I saw Detective Pikachu. It was a fun time, hit a lot of nostalgic moments for myself. It's definitely the best video game movie (though, I like Warcraft), but I really do feel that Pokemon is so big, that it almost escapes that categorization. It's definitely PG-action, all of it rather toothless, but it's done well. The whole movie has great production design. Also, Ryan Reynolds is somewhat toned-downed in the movie, so it's not the Deadpool as Pikachu I was worried about.

User avatar
Simonsloth
Member
Posts: 1047
Joined: November 22nd, 2017, 6:17 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Whatcha Been Watching?

Post by Simonsloth » May 12th, 2019, 8:13 pm

duskvstweak wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 11:27 pm
I saw Detective Pikachu. It was a fun time, hit a lot of nostalgic moments for myself. It's definitely the best video game movie (though, I like Warcraft), but I really do feel that Pokemon is so big, that it almost escapes that categorization. It's definitely PG-action, all of it rather toothless, but it's done well. The whole movie has great production design. Also, Ryan Reynolds is somewhat toned-downed in the movie, so it's not the Deadpool as Pikachu I was worried about.
Quick question. Is it age appropriate for younger kids? I find the PG certificate is a minefield as you can get things like Night at the Museum and Jaws rated the same. Unless I’ve seen the film I can’t really judge it. Could be light peril, a few swears or even some sexy moments. Although saying that there are some absolutely terrifying films rated U.

No pressure if you’re not sure. The likelihood of me getting to the cinema is slim at best but my 4 year old is getting into Pokémon and is keen.

User avatar
clippa
Member
Posts: 1060
Joined: March 20th, 2019, 4:08 pm

Re: Whatcha Been Watching?

Post by clippa » May 12th, 2019, 11:48 pm

Prospect
Image

Nice little understated sci-fi with a lovely retro aesthetic and western overtones. Tight little contained story with a "show rather than tell" ethos. The setting would be great for a survival game.
Best to go into these things blind I find, so I'll leave it there.
Two thumbs up my bum.

User avatar
Joshihatsumitsu
Member
Posts: 1021
Joined: September 12th, 2016, 1:55 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Whatcha Been Watching?

Post by Joshihatsumitsu » May 13th, 2019, 3:56 am

Prospect is had been on my radar for a while... I forgot about it until it turned up quietly on Netflix. Must get to it.

Because I'm far behind on my Marvel movies, I skipped Endgame and decided to see Detective Pikachu instead.

I don't have the baggage of life-long-hardcore Pokemon fan, and gotta say, I really enjoyed it! It's definitely a kids film, in that's it's whimsical and breezy and lightweight - I don't have kids, but there's wasn't content that would be inappropriate - but it's charming and funny enough for the adults.

And I always like seeing Bill Nighy in a movie. He aways know the right sort of energy to bring to a role, no matter the role.

I think if you go into this with the right attitude, like Bill Nighty would, and temper your expectations then I think you'll have a good time.

And I always appreciate a movie that doesn't feel the need to for two and a half/three hours long (this is only 1 hour 44 minutes), or be part one in a six part ever-expanding cinematic universe, where god-forbid you're not dedicating every waking moment to being up-to-date with.

User avatar
duskvstweak
Member
Posts: 610
Joined: August 23rd, 2017, 4:40 pm
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: Whatcha Been Watching?

Post by duskvstweak » May 13th, 2019, 4:07 am

Simonsloth wrote:
May 12th, 2019, 8:13 pm
duskvstweak wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 11:27 pm
I saw Detective Pikachu. It was a fun time, hit a lot of nostalgic moments for myself. It's definitely the best video game movie (though, I like Warcraft), but I really do feel that Pokemon is so big, that it almost escapes that categorization. It's definitely PG-action, all of it rather toothless, but it's done well. The whole movie has great production design. Also, Ryan Reynolds is somewhat toned-downed in the movie, so it's not the Deadpool as Pikachu I was worried about.
Quick question. Is it age appropriate for younger kids? I find the PG certificate is a minefield as you can get things like Night at the Museum and Jaws rated the same. Unless I’ve seen the film I can’t really judge it. Could be light peril, a few swears or even some sexy moments. Although saying that there are some absolutely terrifying films rated U.

No pressure if you’re not sure. The likelihood of me getting to the cinema is slim at best but my 4 year old is getting into Pokémon and is keen.
I don't really know, that might be a bit young? There's creepy/"scary" moments but the action is pretty basic and harmless. I think there's a few moments that scare a young kid, but it obviously depends on the kid.

User avatar
Joshihatsumitsu
Member
Posts: 1021
Joined: September 12th, 2016, 1:55 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Whatcha Been Watching?

Post by Joshihatsumitsu » May 13th, 2019, 6:57 am

duskvstweak wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 4:07 am
Simonsloth wrote:
May 12th, 2019, 8:13 pm
duskvstweak wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 11:27 pm
I saw Detective Pikachu. It was a fun time, hit a lot of nostalgic moments for myself. It's definitely the best video game movie (though, I like Warcraft), but I really do feel that Pokemon is so big, that it almost escapes that categorization. It's definitely PG-action, all of it rather toothless, but it's done well. The whole movie has great production design. Also, Ryan Reynolds is somewhat toned-downed in the movie, so it's not the Deadpool as Pikachu I was worried about.
Quick question. Is it age appropriate for younger kids? I find the PG certificate is a minefield as you can get things like Night at the Museum and Jaws rated the same. Unless I’ve seen the film I can’t really judge it. Could be light peril, a few swears or even some sexy moments. Although saying that there are some absolutely terrifying films rated U.

No pressure if you’re not sure. The likelihood of me getting to the cinema is slim at best but my 4 year old is getting into Pokémon and is keen.
I don't really know, that might be a bit young? There's creepy/"scary" moments but the action is pretty basic and harmless. I think there's a few moments that scare a young kid, but it obviously depends on the kid.
If you are looking to scare your kid, the Sonic movie trailer is still out there. :shock:

User avatar
clippa
Member
Posts: 1060
Joined: March 20th, 2019, 4:08 pm

Re: Whatcha Been Watching?

Post by clippa » May 14th, 2019, 1:03 am

Room For Rent
Image

Pfff, load of old bollocks. Suprised it's reviewing so well. Feels more like some poorly made soap opera than the horror/thriller it's billed as.
No thumbs up my bum.

User avatar
Joshihatsumitsu
Member
Posts: 1021
Joined: September 12th, 2016, 1:55 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Whatcha Been Watching?

Post by Joshihatsumitsu » May 14th, 2019, 5:25 am

Hmmm... never thought I'd be living in a world where no thumbs up one's bum is a bad thing, yet here we are... :?

During the opening credits to Detective Pikachu, a little company logo popped up for Toho, which made me smile a little, because the night previously I watched a little 1954 movie that goes by the name Godzilla!

Courteous of AnimeLab, it was the first time I'd even seen it, and I have to say, loved it. By modern impatient-audience standards, it moves at a good pace, and perhaps some modern movies could even learn a thing or two about pacing from this.

Special effects are great. Sure, its a guy in a rubber suit and many models crushed underfoot, but it was 1954, and it does fair even better during the nighttime scenes, as it blends in better with the live action moments. And I'm a nerd for special effects and models, and a shit-ton of hard work went into it, and it's awesome.

And it also stars Takashi Shimura, an actor one has starred in a shit-ton of movies (especially Akira Kurosawa films), and I remembered him from Ikiru, a movie that is great, but might be a harder sell to the casual audience than Godzilla.

So, by the new standard in movie reviews here on Cane and Rinse, two thumbs up ones bum. :o

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests