Book Recommendations

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Alex79

Re: Book Recommendations

Post by Alex79 »

I've not read the novel of Neverwhere, but the graphic novel adaption is pretty good.

Yeah, American Gods... Hmmm. It's good. It plods a bit in places, but I did enjoy it. I've read it and listened to the audiobook which is read fantasically. Theres another audiobook version that's been dramatised too with different voices etc, not tried that one though.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

I've been trying to read American gods for a while now but for some reason it has been a slog for me only now I reached the halfway mark thing is I dont think the book is boring or bad Im actually liking it but I cant make progress to save my life XD
XavierShandi

Post by XavierShandi »

Both of Yahtzee's books are excellent. Definitely recommend them both.
American Gods might be the second worst book I've ever slogged through. I could go into the trite predicable story or the bland uninteresting characters but I'd rather not just vomit hate into the forums like that. I don't have a problem if someone likes it, I know I'm in the minority when it comes to that book.

Other books I would recommend are the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson (crazy high fantasy with a novel magic system and turns many tropes on their heads) and John Dies at the End by David Wong (as well as the sequel: This Book is Full of Spiders, Seriously Dude Don't Touch It).
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

I would like to show some love to a very underrated book... Battle Royal. If you get a chance to read it you should. Most people seam to think its a movie novalivaion as it was released in the UK years after the film was made, but it's not.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Is the battle Royal book any different from the movie?The movie is one of my favorites so if it's basically that but with more details in it would be great.Also I finnished american gods...yeah alot of build up with little payoff if you ask me I dont think it's badly written or anything i just found it very boring by the end kinda of like sandman great start but eventually it just gets tedious,that being said you should totally read the comic Lucifer which is basically a spin off from sandman in which we follow lucifer as our main character the retired lord from hell who now is the owner of a Jazz bar/club in New York and his many adventures!
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

Battle Royal book dose not focus on the two main characters from the film but the class as a whole. The end is also very different. There is a lot more in the book about the backstories of the class members.
Baron Phil

Post by Baron Phil »

I love the film but I think the book is so much better, you should definitely check it out.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Cool! that's what I wanted I'll ve sure to check it out.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The movie plays down a lot of the more 'alternate future' aspects of the original novel. A little more world building that explains how the situation has come to pass that the movie didn't really have the running time to go into.

I think overall I prefer the book too, even though the movie is very good. The version released in the UK with the red cover is a pretty good translation to English, and believe me, I've read some bloody awful attempts at translating Japanese novels into English...
PapaBlingo

Post by PapaBlingo »

American Gods is an awesome book, but it is a wee bit long. The Graveyard Book is my favorite Neil Gaiman novel. Its compact, but has the particular Gaiman brand of twisted that I really like. My 10 year old daughter has recently started it, and is loving it too.
Alex79uk wrote:I just enjoyed reading the latest Neil Gaiman book, The Ocean at the End of the Lane.
What did you think of this? I read it when it came out, and think its probably his worst novel so far.
andrewbcalculating

Post by andrewbcalculating »

Apologies if this has already been mentioned but it was brought to my attention on the Guy Cocker podcast that the Kickstarter funded book about Sensible Software is now available: http://www.readonlymemory.vg/

|<o>|
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

It sure is! I have my copy here and it's a very lovely thing indeed :)
Beck

Post by Beck »

andrewbcalculating wrote:Apologies if this has already been mentioned but it was brought to my attention on the Guy Cocker podcast that the Kickstarter funded book about Sensible Software is now available: http://www.readonlymemory.vg/

|<o>|
Thanks for that, I loved Guy's gamespot podcast but stopped listening when Mark took over. It's good to hear he's started his own one again.
andrewbcalculating

Post by andrewbcalculating »

Read Only Memory are going to follow up their publication of Sensible Software 1986-1999 with a book about the Sega Megadrive/Genesis:

http://megabitesblog.wordpress.com/2013/11/11/846/

|<o>|
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Yes, and it looks gorgeous. There's a gaming artbooks thread over in the videogames folder too by the way.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Just read/heard the short story "I have no mouth and I must scream" by Harlan Ellison...and man that's some heavy stuff but if you want a story about hopelessness,the dark dephts of human nature and simillar fun topics it's a no-brainer especially since it's not very long(the audio version is around 45 minutes),the audiobook version is great and it's narrated by the only person who could do the story justice Ellison himself,it's on youtube and it's pretty easy to find so if you're in that kinda of mood go for it,I just wish I had the skill to play the videogame adaptation(which Ellison also worked on and even does some voice acting)but since it's a old schooll point'n click I have no chance.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

With Season 4 of Game of Thrones about to start I was gonna re-read book 3 to fresh up on what happens but I ended up finding another book by Martin called the Knight of the seven kingdoms that appears to be a compilation of all the Dunk and egg stories so I picked up that,it's really cool it's set 90 years before A Game of Thrones starts so it puts you in a Westeros before everything went to shit,if you wanna soak up more of the world it's a great read and the characters seem to be written in the usual Martin Fashion which is great!I also picked up the Battle Royale book since it was recommended to me in this very thread,so I'll try to get started on that as soon as I finnish Knight of the seven kingdoms because diving into Battle Royale seems like a good idea after seeing hunger games splashed everywhere.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Quick update on some books I've read:
So Knight of the Seven Kingdoms was really good and I recommend to anyone wanting a little more of George RR Martin's world it has great characters running around Westeros getting into all kind of trouble and it's all about Knighthood so dont expect any political intrigue involving multiple POV characters.

Battle Royale was good but I still prefer the movie the book does have more stuff on the dystopia world but I was never too interested in that,the extra info on the characters was good and helped clear some of the things I didnt get in the movie but the movie has something that the book doesnt which is the teacher/sakamochi that for me steals the show there.

I Also read JAM by Yatzhee Crosshaw pretty funny and pretty dark at times and alot like Mogworld if you liked one you're probably gonna like the other not much else to say.

Last I read All you need is Kill aka Edge of Tomorrow the japanese book that's inspiring Tom Cruise's latest mid-life crisis project,interesting story and actually pretty simple it's a good read especially because it isnt that long,I do wonder though how will Tom Cruise play a 19 year old Japanese recruit in the movie.
The_Rooster

Post by The_Rooster »

I'm not far off finishing The Wolf of Wall Street. Absolutely brilliant, the film made Jordan Belford look like a money hungry, sex crazed mad man. However the book really shows him differently. The book is well written and very funny. Defo worth a read after you've watched the film.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I'll borrow it after you've done.