MMA

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
PressEscToExit

MMA

Post by PressEscToExit »

Evening! I wondered if any of you lot are into MMA? I've been watching for close to 10 years now, ever since Bravo started showing UFC, and it's been my favourite sport for quite a while. I've never actually trained in a martial art but I find it super interesting to watch the way different skills and strengths match up, and I'll take a good technical ground battle over a sloppy brawl. I've been really enjoying seeing the growth of women's MMA recently and look forward to Invicta's events just as much as the big UFC ones at the moment.

Anybody follow the sport at all?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: MMA

Post by ratsoalbion »

I know our Karl is a big fan.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

I was just about to regale you all with an account of a certain New Years house party back in 1989 but then it dawned on me you were talking about mixed martial arts rather than methylenedioxy methylamphetamine so I'd best keep that particular story to myself for now. :D
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

:lol:
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Oooh, me. I love MMA, I do.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Had a very brief spell of watching UFC but it was only the first few. Stopped around 5 or 6 but Royce Gracie is burnt into my memory as a legend!
PressEscToExit

Post by PressEscToExit »

It's a very different sport now compared to back then, much more of a focus on fighter safety and way better production values. We also have the benefit of years of men figuring out how to hurt other men good. EVERYBODY does BJJ now. There are some free fights starting in 15-20 minutes over on the UFC's Facebook page if you fancy giving it another look.

Getting ready for a solid night of fights, with a load of Super Mario World and Fire Emblem in between. Cannae wait :D
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Get a hold of me on Twitter, I usually tweet quite a bit about MMA on there :).
General Aquila

Post by General Aquila »

Big fan of MMA! If I can catch a fight i generally will. Some divisions need to be livened up, especially the welterweight (mostly because GSP is on top) or maybe I just don't like him. Jon Jones is enjoyable, but I wonder who would pose a threat with a guy that has such a huge reach!
PressEscToExit

Post by PressEscToExit »

General Aquila wrote:Big fan of MMA! If I can catch a fight i generally will. Some divisions need to be livened up, especially the welterweight (mostly because GSP is on top) or maybe I just don't like him. Jon Jones is enjoyable, but I wonder who would pose a threat with a guy that has such a huge reach!
I'm interested to see what happens between him and Cormier if he can get down to 205, although when I run that fight through in my head I just see a tired DC being picked apart at range and eventually getting subbed in the 4th or 5th. Jones has faced the power-punching wrestler type before obviously but nobody with Cormier's size, power and wrestling credentials.

I certainly don't think there are any current 205ers with much of a chance at all. Maybe Mousasi could catch a submission off his back but even then Jones is probably too savvy, especially after the scare Vitor gave him, and Mousasi looks to be headed down to 185 in any case.

Even at heavyweight I think he easily handles everyone outside the top 5. Crazy amount of talent in that man.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Wow - did not expect to see an MMA thread here!

I'm borderline obsessed with it, have been for years. Follow UFC, Bellator religiously and regularly stay up to watch events and have been to UK UFC shows.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

Spoiler tag in case you haven't caught up with the Silva fight...
Spoiler: show
He's got some excellent skills, but considering the disrespect he's shown several fighters now, I was pleased to see it finally catch up with him. Treat something like MMA with contempt and you'll get sparked! Shame, because if his attitude was better he could have still been flamboyant, but also won the fans over more and maybe gone down as a GOAT - or at least a fondly remembered one.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

magicjoef wrote:Spoiler tag in case you haven't caught up with the Silva fight...
He's got some excellent skills, but considering the disrespect he's shown several fighters now, I was pleased to see it finally catch up with him. Treat something like MMA with contempt and you'll get sparked! Shame, because if his attitude was better he could have still been flamboyant, but also won the fans over more and maybe gone down as a GOAT - or at least a fondly remembered one.
Thing is though that's just how he fights, I thought it was disrespect immediately after the fight, but when you look back, he just did what he always does, and it's to get inside his opponents head and break their will. The problem in this fight was he took it too far, stepped back and unfortunately for him Weidman wasn't spooked by his tactics and when he was off balance, Weidman was able to clip him and the killer blow was the follow up which he needs credit for. Don't get me wrong I hope in the rematch (now signed for Dec 28th) that he eases off the Ali tactics, but as much as it can be a curse it's what makes him great. I still expect him to drop his hands, just be more aware of Weidman's skills. And I think his place in MMA folklore is secure regardless.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

Oh yeah, he does the mind games really well, and it is what makes him so interesting to watch, but sometimes I think he oversteps the mark. Showing that you aren't getting hurt, or that you have supreme confidence is valid mind games, but that little 'pretending to be caught' thing just before he did get clipped verged on mocking. And that kid had (still has!) an unbeaten record. What an intriguing rematch!
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

magicjoef wrote:
Oh yeah, he does the mind games really well, and it is what makes him so interesting to watch, but sometimes I think he oversteps the mark. Showing that you aren't getting hurt, or that you have supreme confidence is valid mind games, but that little 'pretending to be caught' thing just before he did get clipped verged on mocking. And that kid had (still has!) an unbeaten record. What an intriguing rematch!
Totally agree - the falling backwards, closing of the eyes, open face, hands dropped, a fighter like Weidman isn't going to let that go unpunished unless the mindgames have worked. It's interesting to rewatch the fight actually and you see just how little Anderson did to Weidman despite the theatrics. The rematch should be brilliant. Shame we have to wait 6 months mind...
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Weidman played right into Silva's hands, he just happened to clip him. Disastrous things can happen if you don't connect when you get frustrated and charge like Weidman did, just look at Bader vs Machida.

I think Silva was a little caught by surprise with the left - right - right - left flurry.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

Closing your eyes does that ;) No one is that good!

Wonder how he'll approach the rematch? I'm sure he'll want to play the mind games again, but big risk of looking silly twice.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

He was hitting Weidman at will and if he was defending and not show boating I think it would have been very different.