New Daft Punk album

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Alex79

New Daft Punk album

Post by Alex79 »

Any fans? The new Daft Punk album, Random Access Memories, has been streaming on iTunes and Grooveshark a week ahead of release. Listening now. I like it. It's not much like their earlier stuff, but you know, I guess it's been eight years...

My first impressions are "Ok yeah this is ok, nice enough, bit funk but it's not really Daft Punk" and then BLAM!! SAVED BY VOCODER!!!

:lol:

Anyway, worth a listen if you're a fan. And if you're not, because it really doesn't sound like their other stuff, although its unmistakably them. That vocoder, the warm analogue synth. Check it.
dezm0nd

Re: New Daft Punk album

Post by dezm0nd »

As much as I love electronic music such as The Prodigy and Chemical Brothers I found I just couldnt get into their stuff.

It only worked with me when I played DJ Hero 2
robschach

Post by robschach »

I'm going to have to get this. I love Daft Punk but my favourite stuff of theirs has to be their Tron work. I'd love this to have a similar sound to some of the tracks on the Tron soundtrack, I just can't get enough of that! #notgoingtohappen
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Give it a few listens. I absolutely love it, and I didn't think I would. The final track, Contact, is one of the greatest things I've ever heard. But no, nothing like their Tron soundtrack!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I'll buy the album for sure but I think "Get Lucky" is pretty dire to be honest. Big daft punk fan.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I'm only a sort of casual Daft Punk fan. The only thing by them I own is the Tron soundtrack, but I appreciate pretty much all of the work they've produced. I listened to RAM on iTunes yesterday and I thought it was pretty good. I thought it did mostly sound very much like typical Daft Punk. Although none of the tracks really stood out to me as being instant classics, like a lot of their older stuff in a similar style has been. Probably the closest thing to that would be "Get Lucky", but only because it's very poppy and has mass appeal. Not really because it's got that addictive hook that so many other Daft Punk songs have. Not in anywhere near the same capacity, at least. In general, it sounded more relaxed than previous stuff. In fact, earlier today I saw someone describing it as "lounge music". Might be some truth in that.

That said, some of the stuff from the album which wasn't typical Daft Punk was actually the most interesting. Like the track with the synth elements to it, and the few with strings in them. I don't know the names of the specific tracks, since iTunes apparently decided that it wanted to stream the entire album as one thing, instead of separating out each song.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

So I've listened through the album a few times now, and once again, it's well produced pop music.
I don't understand why people put so much effort into trying to put down music that didn't click with them. I've seen a load of noise on twitter from people saying that it's the same generic music they've always churned out, which always irritates the shit out of me. So you formed an opinion that you don't like something, hey, good for you, luckily no one is forcing you to listen to anything, so how about moving along and doing something you enjoy instead? as for the counter argument of "but it's on the radio all day and I...", turn the radio off ;)

Rant aside. I like it, recycled disco music with the synth daft punk sheen over the top? sure why not :)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Same syndrome with games innit.
TomFum

Post by TomFum »

I acquired myself a copy of this the other day.

Im a massive daftpunk fan, Homework and discovery were amazing albums. Human after all not so much, infact that album was terrible. I heard get lucky and really liked it, as much as i hate phrell (how ever you spell it), the only problem is ive had that tuned spoilt as people at work have decided to put the radio on and im forced to listen to radio one all day at work, thats not good for anyone in anyways what so ever.

So overall R.A.M is a really nice album, the 70's disco vibe is just what i was expecting from D.P, some great tracks but i have to save my fav is track 3 - Giorgio By Moroder as its a journey of how moog pretty much set that whole sound off and very cleverly ends with the tick of the metronome.

Good album, go download it.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

RoboticMonk3y wrote:http://youtu.be/gkxd3eimW2o
Awesome!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

TomFum wrote:Human after all not so much, infact that album was terrible.
Yeah I was never keen on it at the time, but I've been listening to a lot of old Daft Punk since the new album came out, and I've started to get in to it now. Worth a listen again maybe if you've not stuck it on it a while. It's definitely their weakest album, but the good tracks on it are easily as good as anything on Discovery I think.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Anyone here ever seen Electroma? It's pretty brilliant. Interstella 5555 is pretty cool too.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

No, looks interesting though cheers.

That Daft Punk medley is fucking awesome, too!
TomFum

Post by TomFum »

Scrustle wrote:Anyone here ever seen Electroma? It's pretty brilliant. Interstella 5555 is pretty cool too.
I downloaded that ages ago, its alright, if abit wierd. but worth a watch for sure. interstella 5555 is very very good, its how discovery should be view'd by anyone who likes discovery. Loved it.
TomFum

Post by TomFum »

Alex79uk wrote: Yeah I was never keen on it at the time, but I've been listening to a lot of old Daft Punk since the new album came out, and I've started to get in to it now. Worth a listen again maybe if you've not stuck it on it a while. It's definitely their weakest album, but the good tracks on it are easily as good as anything on Discovery I think.
Narr you still wont sell it to me, Robot Rock was kinda the only good tune on it, the rest were very very meh!
brutaldeluxe09

Post by brutaldeluxe09 »

I adore Homework and live they have to be one of the greatest with their impro stuff. I have only today heard my first track from this album as I wasn't too excited about it to be honest and, well lets just say I couldn't tell you what track I heard, it was a very forgettable experience but then again I'm old and cynical so maybe I'm the one with the problem here. :)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Certainly worth sticking with at least 2 or 3 full listens to the album though. Yeah I'd absolutely love to see Daft Punk live, shame they've said they're not going to tour this record though :(
General Aquila

Post by General Aquila »

Already listened to it through and it definitely grows on you.

It reminds me of how old albums were made, peak and troughs but it all fits together and nothing is out of place!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah it's definitely an 'album'. I do miss just sitting and listening to whole albums like when I was younger, but who's got time to do that much any more? Not me. :(