The 'everything goes' Song of Ice and Fire thread

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
BasementShaxx

Re: The 'everything goes' Song of Ice and Fire thread

Post by BasementShaxx »

I'll just leave this here...

http://www.danbarham.com/dinklage/
Electric Crocosaurus

Post by Electric Crocosaurus »

It's a dinky Dinklage!
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Speaking of Dinklage his performance on this episode was fantastic great seeing the series recover from the low of episodes 3&4 here's hoping it keeps it up!
Electric Crocosaurus

Todinho wrote:Speaking of Dinklage his performance on this episode was fantastic great seeing the series recover from the low of episodes 3&4 here's hoping it keeps it up!
Agreed. If this doesn't win Dinklage an Emmy next year then I don't know what will.

I've mostly found the new material added from the books to be quite good, but I found Yara's scenes this episode pretty unnecessary. Considering that the TV show is starting to miss out a lot of material from the books I'm worried that there are a couple of storylines that I've been looking forward to that are going to be missed out.
Electric Crocosaurus

It's season finale time! I'll be watching it on Sky tonight, but hopefully it should cap what has been a mostly successful season. Some additions haven't worked for me (the Craster's keep melee, the lack of budget for the big Wall battle) but the hits have far outweighed the misses.
Electric Crocosaurus

Well, it's all over for another year. It was an excellent finale, possibly even the best episode yet, but as a book reader...
Spoiler: show
...it was all overshadowed by not including the Lady Stoneheart epilogue from the book. I've read the director's comments about it never being planned for this series, and I can understand there being a concern about it overshadowing the rest of the episode. But the audacity of that chapter is exactly what made it so exciting for book readers. To not use the best cliffhanger from the books was a big mistake imo, and I hope that they find space to include the character in the next season. For now, though, it's the waiting game until next April!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Just googled that character name... now I want to know more! :O

Genuinely some of the best TV at the moment, though. I haven't read the books but with each passing season I feel like I should be.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I presumed they had cut
Lady Stoneheart out completely to be honest but I found it strange they didn't end it with Tyrion Killing Tywin.
The Bran storyline is getting a bit tedious now it reminds me of Lost meets Pirates Of The Caribbean at the moment.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Yeah Brans storyline is my least favorite and even friends of mine who liked his storyline started to lose interest whe he got to the 3-eyed raven,the finale was ok but I gotta say I have 1000 nipicks that almost ruined the episode completely for me like I said it's not that they cant make up/change stuff for their adapttions this season though I found most changes terrible,they had so much filler this season too and they could've used that for more character development for Shae for example instead of giving everything to Jon Snow.
PS:I wanted Coldhands to appear so badly I really though he was going to save Bran at that scene but what can you do,if just watch the show by the way google Coldhands for the most badass character in a Song of Ice and Fire.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Coldhands would have been cool (no pun intended) and since there seems to be a lot of speculation within the fanbase that he could be Benjen Stark and as the show appears to have revealed the Night's King already, it could have been handy to have him as the character - it would also make sense as to why he would have protected Bran since he's kin.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Yeah I mean I just dont get why they didnt put Coldhands in,there's not enough money to CG some of him in?but there's budget for dumb skyrim skeletons?He's not an important character and would add time to explain him?Well didnt we had those filler episode in Crasters keep and a billion Arya and the Hound scenes,couldnt you've taken one of those out and put him in?I know im being very nitpicky at this point but with the amount of unnecessary stuff they had this season I find they not putting stuff like Coldhands and Lady stoneheart almost inexcusable I mean you cant have the stuff from the books but you can have a bunch of dumb stuff that you made up and that ultimately makes the show worse?
Electric Crocosaurus

Todinho wrote:Yeah I mean I just dont get why they didnt put Coldhands in,there's not enough money to CG some of him in?
I do think this is the first season where I've felt that the budget didn't quite stretch to covering the epicness of what was in the books. I know that the first season had that whole 'Tyrion being knocked out before the battle' thing, but the grand Wall battle that formed Episode 9 this season felt lacking to me. It was probably a great achievement for the money they spent, but when compared to the cast of thousands in the books it felt under-developed. The Meereen story, too, felt limited, though I understand that they're saving a lot of Dany's story for next season.

But, I still stand by my assessment that it's one of the best shows on TV currently. The stuff with Arya and the Hound has been superb, the Lannister material has been pretty great, and with Stannis back in a more central role hopefully we'll see more of him, Davos and Melisandre next season. And a certain missing epilogue character, of course...
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

To be fair to the missing epilogue character
she's currently tormenting Jack Bauer in 24 ;)