The "Introduce yourself" thread

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
sheeldz

Re: The "Introduce yourself" thread

Post by sheeldz »

Alex79uk wrote: September 10th, 2019, 7:20 am Trouble is I struggle to get round to looking for new stuff, generally falling back on The Orb or GYBE, so this is great. Do you post a track list anywhere?
Sadly, the terms of my license that I have means I'm technically not allowed to. If you listen on Mixcloud, it'll come up most of the time. But, generally, I actually speak! So you should hear me waffling on about the artist on normal shows.

Thanks for listening!
JaySevenZero wrote: September 9th, 2019, 5:17 pm It's cool, something quite different to what people usually do.
Cheers Jay, kind of you to say.

I can tell me boss isn't going like that I've started posting here ha.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

sheeldz wrote: September 10th, 2019, 7:37 am I can tell me boss isn't going like that I've started posting here ha.
You should totally start a 'What have I missed since the Dreamcast?' thread in the games section. :)

Although, with the Switch, I'm sure you have plenty to be going on with.
Caligulas Horse

Post by Caligulas Horse »

clippa wrote: August 7th, 2019, 6:14 am
Caligulas Horse wrote: August 5th, 2019, 4:32 pmit's hard to get annoyed by adults who still go on like the kid who swears he lost his virginity at Butlins over the summer.
:lol: I used to get that "I haven't got the time" patter from certified gaming nerds on a forum I used to go to.
I'd post a 1cc or wax lyrical about spelunky or something and they'd be like "Mate, I haven't got the time for that sort of shite, I'm living my jetset lifestyle, yeah?" and then they'd go and post about how they'd finally collected all the bat eggs in their padded out 50 hour cowman/spiderboy single player campaign and how much closure it'd brang.

If you're time poor, arcade games and roguelites are much more respectful of your time and have a "pick up and play" and more importantly, a "drop at any point" ethos that is much more conducive to adult "I am a big man" hairychin playtime.

"Look mate, I just want to veg out on the sofa and watch the big AAA game with a beer in my hand and a pad in the other, alright? It's current, all my mates are playing it, it gives me something to talk about round the watercooler. It makes me feel like I exist." I could totally understand that, but of course nobody ever said anything of the sort. The stigma your core gamer fears the most is that they might not be hardcore. Absolutely fucking ridiculous.

I'd post about games like hack, slash, loot, a game that is pretty much just a fruit machine, you click and see how your luck pans out, essentially, they'd scoff at that and turn back to their smoke and mirrors.

I suppose that's the other side of the coin though.
Why can't people just like what they like and not have a complex about it? Why can't people like something and still feel free, uninvested enough to discuss it's failings at the same time?
Why won't you just hold me tight and kiss me hard on the mouth, goddammit?!
Haha I know I'm late replying to this but that last line tickled me.
RetroClarence

Post by RetroClarence »

I've just noticed this thread and realised I skipped it!!

So I introduced myself with the "Back in Time" post on one of the other channels. I've been listening to Cane and Rinse now for about two years which is when I really discovered video game podcasts. My first was Retro Asylum and now I limit it to that (although see below) Cane and Rinse stable shows and Retro Game Squad. The sheer amount that comes out from the Cane and Rinse stable means I have plenty to listen to! I've been a proud patron for the past 15 months or so.

In terms of gaming, I predominantly play games from the 80s and 90s and I am now a co-host of Retro Asylum. I joined just as Chris O'Regan was leaving. I love doing that and love talking about old games. We have a game club where we and the listeners play one game together for a month, chat on Discord and then we spend an hour talking about who got the high scores and whether it still holds up etc. The only downside about people who play a lot of older games is that they can be quite opposed to playing modern games. I never stopped liking new games and I need an outlet to talk about the modern stuff.

Hence why I want to take a more active role in this forum. It seems like a friendly place to be and hopefully I can join in some of the conversations going on! Good to be here!
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Welcome sheeldz, Clarence... Right now I'm browsing the forums to the sounds of The Monday Graveyard podcast, episode 185.
cursivepractice

Post by cursivepractice »

Hi! I've been listening consistently to the Cane and Rinse podcast probably only for the past four (?) months. It's really nice, I find it hard to find audio discussion about games that's insightful and as indepth as the podcast. Podcasts are my main form of entertainment these days.

I don't play as many games as I'd like to, right now because of super limited time, and being a broke animation student. My favourite games, as of right now, are probably Persona 5 and Breath of the Wild.
I generally like more chill or turn-based games, so I mostly play things like slightly weird/goofy RPGs, for lack of a better term (Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga, MOTHER 3) or visual novels/more text based/point and click games (Ghost Trick, Professor Layton, DanganRonpa, Heaven Will Be Mine). I also used to play a LOT of Team Fortress 2 in highschool (only as Medic, I can't aim).

I'm really happy to be here.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

cursivepractice wrote: March 6th, 2020, 7:26 pm I'm really happy to be here.
Welcome to the forum! I don't know what you're playing on but there are a load of visual novels on sale in the current PSN Big In Japan deals. I got 428 Shibuya Scramble for about eight quid and the Nonary Games for fifteen, which are massive discounts. I'm really looking forward to exploring the genre more and would be interested in your thoughts.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Hello! I'm playing Ghost Trick at the moment actually, first time. Enjoying it so far!
Suits

Post by Suits »

cursivepractice wrote: March 6th, 2020, 7:26 pm I'm really happy to be here.
Hey man, welcome to the club 😎.
NoMoreSpearows

Post by NoMoreSpearows »

I should preface this by saying that I probably won't be a terribly active member on here; I've never been terribly good at socializing in any form, and the struggle is worsened when limited to text due to my inability to determine subtlety or sarcasm terribly easily.

Anyways, hello. If my username looks familiar it's because I've submitted a handful of three-word reviews on Twitter but as more games are on the horizon that I have an invested interest in, I thought it would be appropriate to try my hand at providing a slightly more in-depth analysis/interpretation on those titles. I apologize if I'm making this sound too hoity-toity or what have you, but as I spent a good bit of my time at university doing rhetorical criticism, I now bear the yoke of being unable to easily lose myself in an experience without overthinking things.

I can only hope that my presence here is one that will not make people regret the creation of the public Internet forum.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Welcome, and looking forward to reading more of your thoughts.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Welcome aboard! :)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Nice to have you here!
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

You already have my vote for best username. I like it both as a pun and because the thought of a post apocalyptic pokemon tickles me.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Welcome!
Cass

Post by Cass »

Hi folks! Used to be a big fan aaaaaages ago (think around 2013-2014) but fell off the podcast for whatever reason. Couldn't tell you what got me back into it, but I've been on a massive tear through the stuff you've been working on for the past seven years and was reminded of the forums when you quoted me in the Ni No Kuni episode :D

Podcast has only gone from strength to strength since I stopped listening originally, you guys are amazing. Keep it up!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Welcome back!
Npiper12

Post by Npiper12 »

Hello, everyone!
I've been listening to the show since 2014 or so when my friend Ryan shared how excited he was to be a part of the Parappa the Rapper program. That and my 2 hour commute that year helped cement my status as a fan ever since!
That being said, I haven't joined the forum until now (I get very self conscious about what I put online, and I had a rough go in the mid 2000s with forums as a teenager - but this looks to be as friendly and open as the podcast advertises :) )
With everything else going on right now, I figured no time like the present to join the community!
(Plus I wanted to share a blurb about Florence and keep my eye on the upcoming console specials)

Thanks for the many hours of thoughtful engaging entertainment!!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Welcome!
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Glad you're here!