The "Introduce yourself" thread

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: The "Introduce yourself" thread

Post by ratsoalbion »

Welcome youngling!

Post by Default »

Thanks for letting me in.
Thanks for the many hours of elaborate discourse delivered with enthusiasm, humour and detail (warranting the Patreon subscription. A bargain at the price)

An older gamer approaching 60. I stated with Pong in the 70's and still marvel, as I did then that i could influence what happens on a TV screen. Then arcade games at our local community centre in Liverpool, Space Invaders and Galaxian particularly.

A break to raise a child and work in education, which did involved a little Sinclair Spectrum gaming as we used that machine as a teaching tool.

A gaming resurgence for me in the 90s on getting a PC for work, and discovering Quake and Doom, Total Annihilation, Half-life, Deus Ex, Wolfenstien, Thief, Blade Runner, Arx Fatalis and many more.

Onto consoles with N64, Xbox and PS2 and subscription to Edge and Games tm fro the start.

And now. Well many years of Dark Souls, and now Sekiro. As a doddery oldster with slow reaction times and shaky hands (LOL), but determination I ploughed through DS 1. to the end (well sort of since I still haven't defeated Gwyn :)

I love the psychology and philosophy of gaming. The structure of the C&R podcast, and knowledge of the team is fantastic and I now look forward to engaging in discussions on this forum.

Thanks a million
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Welcome! Thank you for the kind words and the lovely introduction.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Welcome, Default. That’s wonderful feedback, especially from someone with such a long and respectable history with video games.
PallasRil

Post by PallasRil »

I'm also an older gamer, sailing merrily into my mid-fifties. I came across Cane and Rinse a few years ago, and it very quickly became one of my favourite podcasts. Like Default, I also remember when Pong came out, and what a marvel it seemed at the time. I had a Colecovision back in the Eighties, but once I moved out and started working, I've managed to keep up with most of the consoles as they come out.

I recently started Destiny and am playing Detroit: Become Human, but have a backlog that I probably won't finish in this lifetime.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Welcome, and thanks for helping make me feel a little younger!

Post by Default »

PallasRil wrote: July 25th, 2019, 1:53 am I'm also an older gamer, sailing merrily into my mid-fifties.
Welcome.
I wonder what % of people our age still play games. IRL none of my mates play.
Do you think there's still a stigma about gaming for people of our generation?

At least I can enthuse about games with my son and step daughters boyfriend.

Has there been any discussion about older gamers on the podcast @ratsoalbion ?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Every time me, Jay or Chris are on!

Well, it’s not really in our remit, but our ages obviously do have some relevance when we’re talking about our histories with particular games, or machines.
Rhaegyr

Post by Rhaegyr »

Hi everyone,

Another long-time listener, first time poster. I’ve just posted a fairly ‘deep’ thread in the off-topic discussion so thought it’d be good to introduce myself and hopefully contribute to some of the discussion in the future.

32 y/o male from the UK who’s been playing since Christmas in the early 90’s when I opened my C64 with copies of Zamzara and Total Recall (both fairly naff from what I can remember). Ocarina of Time was ‘the game’ for me that made me seriously interested in what games could do and how they could make you feel. My mum still plays Mario/Sonic/Wonderboy/Aladdin regularly and my dad will have the odd blast on R-Type when he gets the urge so I think it was baked into my DNA a little.

My favourite games are pretty cliché – Ocarina of Time, Breath of the Wild, Metal Gear Solid, Super Metroid/Metroid Prime, Super Mario World/Galaxy/64/Odyssey, Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Sonic 2, Streets of Rage 2, Resident Evil 4, Paper MKario: TTYD, Phantasy Star Online, Half-Life 2, Street Fighter, Banjo-Kazooie and Unreal Tournament. Anything by Nintendo or Platinum is usually an instant buy tbh. Used to be a massive SEGA fan (the Dreamcast is possibly my favourite console). My tiny claim to fame is that I used to play Unreal Tournament for the UK back in my teenage years at LAN’s – won a fair bit of decent PC kit playing Instagib CTF (reactions have completely gone now, though!).

I can’t remember who introduced me to this podcast years ago but I’ve been a massive fan ever since and it’s the only podcast I listen to – the presenters, format and length of discussion are all top-notch quality which I can’t really find anywhere else. The forum contributions are great and insightful too. Simply put it’s just consistently fun, thoughtful and interesting.

So - thanks for the years of entertainment and here’s to many more. Pleased to meet everyone!

PS. Any chance of a Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door podcast? >.<
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Rhaegyr wrote: July 30th, 2019, 5:44 pm My favourite games are pretty cliché – Ocarina of Time, Breath of the Wild, Metal Gear Solid, Super Metroid/Metroid Prime, Super Mario World/Galaxy/64/Odyssey, Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Sonic 2, Streets of Rage 2, Resident Evil 4, Paper MKario: TTYD, Phantasy Star Online, Half-Life 2, Street Fighter, Banjo-Kazooie and Unreal Tournament. Anything by Nintendo or Platinum is usually an instant buy tbh.
Great stuff. :thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

We’d be unlikely to do a standalone Thousand Year Door show without covering the rest of the series, but all of the Paper Mario, and Mario & Luigi RPG games are on our big list.
PallasRil

Post by PallasRil »

Default wrote: July 27th, 2019, 11:01 pm
PallasRil wrote: July 25th, 2019, 1:53 am I'm also an older gamer, sailing merrily into my mid-fifties.
Welcome.
I wonder what % of people our age still play games. IRL none of my mates play.
Do you think there's still a stigma about gaming for people of our generation?
Well, speaking as a 54 year old Canadian, I can say there has always been a stigma with gaming, even going back to the arcade days of the Seventies and Eighties. Back then, arcades were seen as places where the long haired, pot smokers with Sabbath jean jackets hung out. In my social circle now, gaming is okay if it's on Facebook or your phone--Candy Crush or what have you--, but having a console and/or gaming PC and playing on it for any period of time raises a few eyebrows. Like isn't there something else you could be doing?

These attitudes didn't bother me back in Eighties when I was sinking quarters into Tempest machines and it doesn't bother me now. I don't drink, I don't do drugs, and my house is paid for. I think gaming is fine.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

PallasRil wrote: August 5th, 2019, 2:13 am having a console and/or gaming PC and playing on it for any period of time raises a few eyebrows. Like isn't there something else you could be doing?

These attitudes didn't bother me back in Eighties when I was sinking quarters into Tempest machines and it doesn't bother me now.
Well, you are certainly a more stoical person than me. These attitudes have always bothered me and they continue to do so. I think it's mostly because they're rooted in sheer ignorance - I would be a lot more accepting of them if people had some solid, evidence-backed reasoning to back them up. But folks casually declaring an entire medium that they don't understand and know very little about to be universally worthless can only be described as closed-mindedness in my book.

Although this type of mentality can be observed across all age groups regarding a wide variety of different topics, of course. Plenty of kids who think they're being edgy by dismissing anything that they can label as "old" and "stuffy".
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah - it also really irks me when people say stuff like, "huh I'd love to have the time to play games but I don't" with that kind of smugness that people playing games are wasting time. They have time. They just choose to watch TV, go to the pub, watch sport etc. Of course you can do all of the above, but everyone has leisure time available to them and use it how they choose.
Caligulas Horse

Post by Caligulas Horse »

Almost certainly an age thing but this isn't an issue for me at all, I rarely come across any judgmental attitudes to games these days and in general it's just too inconsequential and silly for me to care if people think that way.

My typical encounter with that kind of tripe usually goes like this: An article about a Pokemon Go player will get posted and a bunch of Piers Morgans will comment with some variation of "he needs to stop playing video games and get laid!" it's hard to get annoyed by adults who still go on like the kid who swears he lost his virginity at Butlins over the summer.

Alex79uk wrote: August 5th, 2019, 9:05 am Yeah - it also really irks me when people say stuff like, "huh I'd love to have the time to play games but I don't" with that kind of smugness that people playing games are wasting time. They have time. They just choose to watch TV, go to the pub, watch sport etc. Of course you can do all of the above, but everyone has leisure time available to them and use it how they choose.
haha agreed but to be fair that isn't unique to games, I hear that about books, tv shows, exercise etc.
Hevi_Metaru

Post by Hevi_Metaru »

Default wrote: July 23rd, 2019, 1:39 pm Thanks for letting me in.
Thanks for the many hours of elaborate discourse delivered with enthusiasm, humour and detail (warranting the Patreon subscription. A bargain at the price)

An older gamer approaching 60. I stated with Pong in the 70's and still marvel, as I did then that i could influence what happens on a TV screen. Then arcade games at our local community centre in Liverpool, Space Invaders and Galaxian particularly.

A break to raise a child and work in education, which did involved a little Sinclair Spectrum gaming as we used that machine as a teaching tool.

A gaming resurgence for me in the 90s on getting a PC for work, and discovering Quake and Doom, Total Annihilation, Half-life, Deus Ex, Wolfenstien, Thief, Blade Runner, Arx Fatalis and many more.

Onto consoles with N64, Xbox and PS2 and subscription to Edge and Games tm fro the start.

And now. Well many years of Dark Souls, and now Sekiro. As a doddery oldster with slow reaction times and shaky hands (LOL), but determination I ploughed through DS 1. to the end (well sort of since I still haven't defeated Gwyn :)

I love the psychology and philosophy of gaming. The structure of the C&R podcast, and knowledge of the team is fantastic and I now look forward to engaging in discussions on this forum.

Thanks a million
Welcome to Cane and Rinse, Default! I hope you have a great time here and enjoy the fantastic community.

Total Annihilation is still one of the best RTS games I have ever played :) Glad you enjoyed it!
sheeldz

Post by sheeldz »

Hey everyone, long time listener, lurker for a year, and final poster. What did it? The Dreamcast special, and Donkey Kong Country, both I said I would start talking about.

I'm from Glasgow, and I'm a bit of a lapsed gamer. Was obsessed with my Mega Drive, then Dreamcast, and then... fell away. Came back to gaming thanks to the Switch, god bless Nintendo.

I do my own podcast with little overlap - it's an ambient music podcast, called The Monday Graveyard. Find it on Mixcloud and stuff if you want, I'm not going to link it; that's too gauche for an introduction post. The CnR Twitter's RT'd me gushing a few times.

Anyway, thought I'd say hi, and thanks to the team.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Welcome!
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Cheers Mark, just had a listen to your show (I'll link to it instead!). It's cool, something quite different to what people usually do.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

sheeldz wrote: September 9th, 2019, 4:04 pm I do my own podcast with little overlap - it's an ambient music podcast, called The Monday Graveyard. Find it on Mixcloud and stuff if you want, I'm not going to link it; that's too gauche for an introduction post. The CnR Twitter's RT'd me gushing a few times.

Anyway, thought I'd say hi, and thanks to the team.
Just had a listen - nice! I'm always on the lookout for stuff to listen to in bed whilst I read, only ever instrumental or ambient stuff, and this fits the bill perfectly. Trouble is I struggle to get round to looking for new stuff, generally falling back on The Orb or GYBE, so this is great. Do you post a track list anywhere?