The "Introduce yourself" thread

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Styrman

Re: The "Introduce yourself" thread

Post by Styrman »

Hi,
New on the forum but have been listening for a couple of years. :)
Im not sure which my first episode was, but Im addicted to souls, so it was probably Dark Souls or Demo's Souls that caught my interest.

I do remember that I was recommended the show by a friend from work. I liked the concept on concentrating on a certain game and then talk about it. So I started listening at work, and began sorting out previous episodes with games I was fond of.
Then games I knew of, but didn't love.
Then games I disn't like.
Then games I hadn't played.

And now Im here. :)
I haven't been very active online, and haven't really had the time to play along with the latest volume. Just some light commenting on facebook from time to time.
I hope to become more active in the future, because I really like what you're doing and you deserve a larger community.

Best regards,
Ludvig
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Welcome! You might just be our first Ludvig.
:)
Styrman

Post by Styrman »

ratsoalbion wrote:Welcome! You might just be our first Ludvig.
:)
Thank you!
First on the forum, and first Hunter of the Church ;)
It's a pretty common name here in Sweden actually, let's hope for more of us!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I suppose the real question is: Are you Accursed, or rather a Holy Blade?

Greetings from right across the Baltic Sea. :)
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Greetings one and all. Not only am I new to this forum, I'm new to forums entirely! That's right, it took until the year 2016 to actively engage with an online community, and after listening to the podcast for some time now, I felt comfortable engaging with this particular one. Still don't know the proper forum etiquette, but we'll see how we go.

I first came across the podcast courtesy of the AV Club's podmass feature (specifically this one - http://www.avclub.com/detail/another-ro ... wer-220779), so my first C&R would probably be the Silent Hill: Downpour episode, and it was hooked from that point onwards.

By day I'm a librarian; by night I'm fast asleep. And during the waking hours I have gotten into a nasty habit of collecting games. My excuse is that it is for archival reasons, or something impressive sounding like that. Mostly its for joy.

Lately I've been building my first arcade cabinet, but instead of going the MAME route (which is fine, but I have emulators on so many things now) I got a MV-1F PCB (JAMMA) and building it using official SNK parts has been an educational experience. I also have three other JAMMA PCB's stored (Snow Bros, Aliens, and the 1991 4 player Sega Spider-Man game) for future projects. That's more than enough for the moment - must stop browsing eBay...

I own many, many gaming systems, and will more than likely die very, very old and broke, surrounded by a wall of cartridges and discs, some having crushed me alive from the sheer volume and weight.

Anyhow, hi!
Styrman

Post by Styrman »

KSubzero1000 wrote:I suppose the real question is: Are you Accursed, or rather a Holy Blade?

Greetings from right across the Baltic Sea. :)
Holy Blade, definitely ;)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Welcome to Joshihatsumitsu.
I am not remotely jealous of your burgeoning PCB/Jamma collection (some great picks there by the way)!
:mrgreen:
Joshihatsumitsu

ratsoalbion wrote:Welcome to Joshihatsumitsu.
I am not remotely jealous of your burgeoning PCB/Jamma collection (some great picks there by the way)!
:mrgreen:
Once the cabinets are complete, I'll only be charging a mere ¥5 coin per credit, which is a very competitive price. I'm willing to loan the many left over coins from my last Japanese trip! :lol:
eastmcduck

Post by eastmcduck »

Hey, all, my name is Dana, I'm 30 years old, and I've been a gamer for at least 26 of those years. I figured I should probably take the time to introduce myself since I've made a few posts now. I've been on a hiatus from social media and the like for a couple years and figured I would test the waters again. I've come to really appreciate both Cane and Rinse and Sound of Play over this past year and I'm appreciating the community so far as well. Everyone seems friendly and good hearted, which is kind of a rarity in online communities anymore. Looking forward to chatting with you all around the forum.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Hi and welcome!
You've found yourself a friendly place fo' sho'.
eastmcduck

Post by eastmcduck »

The fact that you use fo' sho' in the exact same way I do is a positive sign I think, haha.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Welcome Dana!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Hello! In the four years I've been posting here I don't think I've seen a single argument!

Also; four years!!?
MajorGamer

Post by MajorGamer »

Hello all. I starting off playing games on an Intellivision that was a present from my Mom to my Dad (I used it the most). After it broke, an NES followed and traveled up Nintendo's line from there. During high school things started to move over to PC largely thanks to ID and Blizzard. Today, loads of indie games are around and this is the first console generation I'm skipping entirely. Whatever the game is at the time, I have always tried to do everything in them as humanly possible, putting me firmly in the completionist camp.

I started listening to this podcast late last year/early this year thanks to Andrew Brown, who is the one who told me about it. There has been plenty of good discussions from the ones I've listened to and finally decided to help contribute where I can. It will be nice to have a forum where civil conversations can happen regarding videogames as opposed to past stomping grounds of GameFAQs, which, well, it has a bad reputation for a reason.

Bryan
AndrewBrown

Post by AndrewBrown »

MajorGamer wrote:Hello all. I starting off playing games on an Intellivision that was a present from my Mom to my Dad (I used it the most). After it broke, an NES followed and traveled up Nintendo's line from there. During high school things started to move over to PC largely thanks to ID and Blizzard. Today, loads of indie games are around and this is the first console generation I'm skipping entirely. Whatever the game is at the time, I have always tried to do everything in them as humanly possible, putting me firmly in the completionist camp.

I started listening to this podcast late last year/early this year thanks to Andrew Brown, who is the one who told me about it. There has been plenty of good discussions from the ones I've listened to and finally decided to help contribute where I can. It will be nice to have a forum where civil conversations can happen regarding videogames as opposed to past stomping grounds of GameFAQs, which, well, it has a bad reputation for a reason.

Bryan
Major Gamer and I met on the World of Warcraft GameFAQs forum, where we were both regulars and, sadly, infamous.

*hangs head in shame*

Dark days.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Hello, I'm named after a Stephen King book.

I teach English overseas. I teach adults, which is great!

I've been gaming since the days of the Commodore systems, and I like RPGs.

Tomorrow I'm going to Japan for Halloween! :D
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Nice! Hello!
Joshihatsumitsu

ThirdDrawing wrote:Tomorrow I'm going to Japan for Halloween! :D
Welcome, and damn I love Japan... Enjoy! :P
nickturner13

Post by nickturner13 »

Hello there,

Been listening for maybe a year or so on and off, and just discovered the delights of Sound Of Play so thought i'd sign up to the forum.

Been a gamer pretty much all my life, first memories of gaming were going round to a friend's house at primary school (I guess I was 8 or 9 years old so we're talking around 1988) and seeing an Atari 2600. Not too long after that I knew people who had Spectrums and I wanted a Speccy too, to swap games with... but my father bought me an Atari 520 ST instead.

My mum used to get me copies of ST Format every month and I just never really grew out of gaming since then really! Moved onto a PC in the early 90's and have always had a reasonable gaming PC ever since... along with a PS1, PS2, and Xbox 360. Didn't get a PS4/XBONE yet, will probably look for a PS4 in the Black Friday sales this month.

Spend my whole time gaming when not at work pretty much... favourite games these days are GTA V / Just Cause 3 / Rocket League, but have spent years in the past playing WoW and Football Manager.

Nice to find a grown-up gaming community, I hope to contribute the odd post here and there in future!

Nick
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Hi there, and welcome along.