The "Introduce yourself" thread

This is the place where you can confab about all the other stuff besides videogames.
Simonsloth

Re: The "Introduce yourself" thread

Post by Simonsloth » January 23rd, 2019, 3:24 pm

KSubzero1000 wrote:
January 23rd, 2019, 10:27 am
Harley Piper wrote:
January 23rd, 2019, 6:17 am
These days I guess I could be called a bit of a 'closet gamer' as there is a view amongst my social circle that gaming is for kids. This stigma is another reason why I thought I would join the forum, to have conversations with likeminded people!
Is this stigma still a thing? Wow.

Welcome to the forum, Harley! :P
It certainly is my friend. I get ribbed every Christmas when my amazon wishlist resembles my 10 year old nephew’s. My workplace think I’m a teenager trapped in a 35 year olds body. I would say it’s a generational thing but a significant number of my peers say they are waiting for their partners to “grow out of it”. Even when I liken it to enjoying a film or series the response is “but it’s for kids right?”

It doesn’t bother me but means I don’t have the water cooler moments that I would like. There’s also no water cooler but that’s beside the point.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » January 23rd, 2019, 4:20 pm

Simonsloth wrote:
January 23rd, 2019, 3:24 pm
It certainly is my friend. I get ribbed every Christmas when my amazon wishlist resembles my 10 year old nephew’s. My workplace think I’m a teenager trapped in a 35 year olds body. I would say it’s a generational thing but a significant number of my peers say they are waiting for their partners to “grow out of it”. Even when I liken it to enjoying a film or series the response is “but it’s for kids right?”

It doesn’t bother me but means I don’t have the water cooler moments that I would like. There’s also no water cooler but that’s beside the point.
Well, that's unfortunate. :|

But I think that, even beyond the generational thing, we also have to acknowledge how insular the medium actually is. For the longest time, you had two distinct groups of people: those who played video games and those who didn't, with very little room in-between. I guess the initial barrier of entry has been steadily lowered with the rising prominence of the mobile market and the introduction of less mechanically demanding genres over the years, but video games are still an interactive medium that require a higher level of investment than passive ones.

I think that a lot of the bad rap has more to do with ignorance than anything else. Take Bloodborne, for example. Half the gaming community is heads over heels in love with it. The other half doesn't like it, but still understands the enthusiasm to an extent. But I'd imagine that most outsiders would have a really hard time understanding the intricacies and layers that make it such a special experience. Especially those who only have second-hand knowledge of 2D Mario on one side and StarCraft esports on the other.

And we do have a water cooler, right here! :)

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » January 23rd, 2019, 5:24 pm

Haha I can imagine Leon saying it now: Join the Cane And Rinse forum your virtual water cooler

Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu » January 23rd, 2019, 9:21 pm

Hi Harley,

As an Australian, I greatly admire your country's superior internet speeds, and the fact that your elected officials are the one's that were voted for, rather than the ones that weren't! :lol:

Also, I know that stigma... from across the ditch, welcome!

countstex

Post by countstex » January 28th, 2019, 7:28 am

Harley Piper wrote:
January 23rd, 2019, 6:17 am

These days I guess I could be called a bit of a 'closet gamer' as there is a view amongst my social circle that gaming is for kids. This stigma is another reason why I thought I would join the forum, to have conversations with likeminded people!

Harley
Welcome! Amusing you've tried the games are the same as (actually better than, but we'll keep that to ourselves) watching TV, Movies or reading books approach, perhaps also ask them if they think crosswords and Sudoku are also for kids? Or acting. ie taking on other roles for a while for the purposes of enjoyment and/or seeing other peoples points of view.

Unfortunately the whole gamergate thing set the who acceptance side of things back a decade, but gains have been made :)Just try to work your gaming in to conversations from time to time, and never ever be ashamed of who you are.

On the plus side your kid will grow up knowing at least one gaming parent (not sure if your partner, should you have one, also games)so the next generation (do we have a name for those after millennials yet??) will be even better placed.

Stay true, and play more games! :D

Stex.