The "Introduce yourself" thread

This is the place where you can confab about all the other stuff besides videogames.
sheeldz

Re: The "Introduce yourself" thread

Post by sheeldz » September 9th, 2019, 2:04 pm

Hey everyone, long time listener, lurker for a year, and final poster. What did it? The Dreamcast special, and Donkey Kong Country, both I said I would start talking about.

I'm from Glasgow, and I'm a bit of a lapsed gamer. Was obsessed with my Mega Drive, then Dreamcast, and then... fell away. Came back to gaming thanks to the Switch, god bless Nintendo.

I do my own podcast with little overlap - it's an ambient music podcast, called The Monday Graveyard. Find it on Mixcloud and stuff if you want, I'm not going to link it; that's too gauche for an introduction post. The CnR Twitter's RT'd me gushing a few times.

Anyway, thought I'd say hi, and thanks to the team.

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » September 9th, 2019, 2:30 pm

Welcome!

JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero » September 9th, 2019, 3:17 pm

Cheers Mark, just had a listen to your show (I'll link to it instead!). It's cool, something quite different to what people usually do.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » September 10th, 2019, 5:20 am

sheeldz wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 2:04 pm
I do my own podcast with little overlap - it's an ambient music podcast, called The Monday Graveyard. Find it on Mixcloud and stuff if you want, I'm not going to link it; that's too gauche for an introduction post. The CnR Twitter's RT'd me gushing a few times.

Anyway, thought I'd say hi, and thanks to the team.
Just had a listen - nice! I'm always on the lookout for stuff to listen to in bed whilst I read, only ever instrumental or ambient stuff, and this fits the bill perfectly. Trouble is I struggle to get round to looking for new stuff, generally falling back on The Orb or GYBE, so this is great. Do you post a track list anywhere?

sheeldz

Post by sheeldz » September 10th, 2019, 5:37 am

Alex79uk wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 5:20 am
Trouble is I struggle to get round to looking for new stuff, generally falling back on The Orb or GYBE, so this is great. Do you post a track list anywhere?
Sadly, the terms of my license that I have means I'm technically not allowed to. If you listen on Mixcloud, it'll come up most of the time. But, generally, I actually speak! So you should hear me waffling on about the artist on normal shows.

Thanks for listening!
JaySevenZero wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 3:17 pm
It's cool, something quite different to what people usually do.
Cheers Jay, kind of you to say.

I can tell me boss isn't going like that I've started posting here ha.

Chopper

Post by Chopper » September 10th, 2019, 9:50 am

sheeldz wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 5:37 am
I can tell me boss isn't going like that I've started posting here ha.
You should totally start a 'What have I missed since the Dreamcast?' thread in the games section. :)

Although, with the Switch, I'm sure you have plenty to be going on with.

Caligulas Horse

Post by Caligulas Horse » September 10th, 2019, 1:15 pm

clippa wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 4:14 am
Caligulas Horse wrote:
August 5th, 2019, 2:32 pm
it's hard to get annoyed by adults who still go on like the kid who swears he lost his virginity at Butlins over the summer.
:lol: I used to get that "I haven't got the time" patter from certified gaming nerds on a forum I used to go to.
I'd post a 1cc or wax lyrical about spelunky or something and they'd be like "Mate, I haven't got the time for that sort of shite, I'm living my jetset lifestyle, yeah?" and then they'd go and post about how they'd finally collected all the bat eggs in their padded out 50 hour cowman/spiderboy single player campaign and how much closure it'd brang.

If you're time poor, arcade games and roguelites are much more respectful of your time and have a "pick up and play" and more importantly, a "drop at any point" ethos that is much more conducive to adult "I am a big man" hairychin playtime.

"Look mate, I just want to veg out on the sofa and watch the big AAA game with a beer in my hand and a pad in the other, alright? It's current, all my mates are playing it, it gives me something to talk about round the watercooler. It makes me feel like I exist." I could totally understand that, but of course nobody ever said anything of the sort. The stigma your core gamer fears the most is that they might not be hardcore. Absolutely fucking ridiculous.

I'd post about games like hack, slash, loot, a game that is pretty much just a fruit machine, you click and see how your luck pans out, essentially, they'd scoff at that and turn back to their smoke and mirrors.

I suppose that's the other side of the coin though.
Why can't people just like what they like and not have a complex about it? Why can't people like something and still feel free, uninvested enough to discuss it's failings at the same time?
Why won't you just hold me tight and kiss me hard on the mouth, goddammit?!
Haha I know I'm late replying to this but that last line tickled me.

RetroClarence

Post by RetroClarence » September 21st, 2019, 4:47 am

I've just noticed this thread and realised I skipped it!!

So I introduced myself with the "Back in Time" post on one of the other channels. I've been listening to Cane and Rinse now for about two years which is when I really discovered video game podcasts. My first was Retro Asylum and now I limit it to that (although see below) Cane and Rinse stable shows and Retro Game Squad. The sheer amount that comes out from the Cane and Rinse stable means I have plenty to listen to! I've been a proud patron for the past 15 months or so.

In terms of gaming, I predominantly play games from the 80s and 90s and I am now a co-host of Retro Asylum. I joined just as Chris O'Regan was leaving. I love doing that and love talking about old games. We have a game club where we and the listeners play one game together for a month, chat on Discord and then we spend an hour talking about who got the high scores and whether it still holds up etc. The only downside about people who play a lot of older games is that they can be quite opposed to playing modern games. I never stopped liking new games and I need an outlet to talk about the modern stuff.

Hence why I want to take a more active role in this forum. It seems like a friendly place to be and hopefully I can join in some of the conversations going on! Good to be here!

clippa

Post by clippa » September 21st, 2019, 5:21 am

Caligulas Horse wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 1:15 pm
Haha I know I'm late replying to this but that last line tickled me.
It all felt like it was leading up to something but I had nowhere to go so I just went proper old black and white film. I properly cringed when i read that in the morning so I'm glad someone got a kick out of it :lol:

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K » October 15th, 2019, 7:56 pm

Welcome sheeldz, Clarence... Right now I'm browsing the forums to the sounds of The Monday Graveyard podcast, episode 185.