Comic Book Chatter

This is the place where you can confab about all the other stuff besides videogames.
Alex79uk

Re: Comic Book Chatter

Post by Alex79uk » June 5th, 2019, 10:35 am

Can you be more specific with Starman? Sounds good but I googled it and just found the DC character who's been in loads of books. Which ones did you mean? Thanks!

Also, I hope this isn't true :( Vertigo was a brilliant part of DC...

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/06/04 ... e-vertigo/

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » June 5th, 2019, 12:46 pm

http://www.comicscube.com/2012/10/a-sta ... ction.html

I found plenty of retrospectives but most had spoilers. This one doesn’t. There’s only a few comments at the end of the short article but they resonate with me.

Starman would be my desert island comic book series. It is in my opinion the finest piece of comic book writing ever and the most magnificent self contained superhero story there has even been. There’s guest appearances but often from niche characters, it’s nostalgic but forward thinking. It rewards you for knowledge of obscure characters but doesn’t penalise you if this were the first comic you ever read. I get goosebumps when I read it.

FemalePheromones

Post by FemalePheromones » June 6th, 2019, 5:16 am

I recently signed up for a month of Marvel Unlimited and am loving going back to events that I had missed before from not wanting to spend £££ on the graphic novels. I had already read The Infinity Gauntlet as someone bought it for me for Christmas a few years ago but after that went on to The Infinity War and then The Infinity Crusade but just the main series none of the tie ins.

Now I'm part way through House of M but actually reading all the tie ins for this one and am so glad I have done because it adds so much more depth to the story.

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » June 6th, 2019, 2:46 pm

FemalePheromones wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 5:16 am
I recently signed up for a month of Marvel Unlimited and am loving going back to events that I had missed before from not wanting to spend £££ on the graphic novels. I had already read The Infinity Gauntlet as someone bought it for me for Christmas a few years ago but after that went on to The Infinity War and then The Infinity Crusade but just the main series none of the tie ins.

Now I'm part way through House of M but actually reading all the tie ins for this one and am so glad I have done because it adds so much more depth to the story.
I LOVE the Unlimited app. It helps the way they collect events, like House of M, makes reading the tie-ins that much less of a hassle. Also, if you enjoyed the Gauntlet sequel series, I'd suggest Marvel: The End as well as the whole Annihilation story-line.

FemalePheromones

Post by FemalePheromones » June 6th, 2019, 3:42 pm

I'll add them to the list. I'm going to go from House of M to Age of Ultron and then Infinity and then Age of Apocalypse. It really is a great app, I only signed up for a month and then quickly cancelled so it won't auto-renew for the next month as I didn't want to pay again thinking it won't be worth it but now odds are that I will renew.

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » June 6th, 2019, 4:50 pm

FemalePheromones wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 3:42 pm
I'll add them to the list. I'm going to go from House of M to Age of Ultron and then Infinity and then Age of Apocalypse. It really is a great app, I only signed up for a month and then quickly cancelled so it won't auto-renew for the next month as I didn't want to pay again thinking it won't be worth it but now odds are that I will renew.
Age of Apocalypse is my favorite, one of the greats! And, I did the same thing! Did the free month to read some stuff quick but then broke down and got the year sub. It's one of the few monthly subscriptions where I know I'm getting my money's worth.

FemalePheromones

Post by FemalePheromones » June 6th, 2019, 5:08 pm

I've been into Marvel since I was a kid from the X-men and Spider-man cartoons in the 90s but only bought the odd graphic novels. Actually got into Deadpool for a while and have I think up to number 8 of the classics collections. I actually just looked on Ebay to see if it was worth selling them but I haven't decided if it's worth the effort.

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » June 21st, 2019, 7:28 pm

DC closing Vertigo Comics is sad news. Really down about this.
The Vertigo imprint taught me to love comic books, not just superheroes. My appreciation of the medium as a whole is due to Vertigo and a big reason I branch out and try new things as often as I do.
And Sandman basically re-wired my brain when I first read it as a teenager.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/dc-comics-just- ... 1835249469

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » July 15th, 2019, 6:12 pm

Well this has the potential to be fantastic!

https://www.nme.com/news/film/horror-le ... 528535/amp

John Carpenter, horror legend, to write new Joker comic.

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » July 30th, 2019, 8:02 pm

Some comics I read recently,

Umbrella Academy Vol. 1 &2 - Finally got to this series. Glad I did. I would have loved this had I read it upon release, but better late then never. I need to check out the show now.

The Quantum Age - Not as good as the main Black Hammer series. I'm starting to feel a bit overwhelmed by all the spinoff titles.

Deadpool vs. The Punisher - Read this mainly because I interviewed the author for my podcast. The book didn't blow me away and was never as funny as it should have been, but there's a running gag about the Punisher "resetting" Deadpool that got me every time. Also, I thought the "My mother's name is Martha!" well was dry, but the joke still worked for me in this one.
https://soundcloud.com/allthebooks/off- ... -van-lente

Transmetropolitan Vol. 10 - Finished the series. I loved it, but I imagine it's not for everyone. It's disgustingly impressive how politically relevant this book is, twenty years later. So much of the parody of this series is our everyday life now. Check it out if you haven't.

The Sheriff of Babylon - I was mourning the death of Vertigo so I went looking for some of their books I haven't read. This might be the best of Tom King's writing that I've read. It's only twelve issues, so it's a quick, depressing read.

We3 - More Vertigo mourning. I've known about this forever but finally cracked it open. It's off the wall, but, darn it, that dog got me. Really liked it, as weird as it is. Or because of how weird it is.

We Stand On Guard - I was also on a Brian K. Vaughan kick. Following the rebel forces of Canada who are defending their homeland from an America out for fresh water, it's a big concept that focuses on the characters. I liked it, but it was also depressing.

The Private Eye- Part of the Vaughan kick. This book was brilliant. The internet is outlawed, everyone's identity is secret with multiple aliases, the press has replaced the police. So many great ideas here and it's all wrapped up in a neo-noir story.

Pitwar

Post by Pitwar » August 2nd, 2019, 9:01 am

duskvstweak wrote:
July 30th, 2019, 8:02 pm
We Stand On Guard - I was also on a Brian K. Vaughan kick. Following the rebel forces of Canada who are defending their homeland from an America out for fresh water, it's a big concept that focuses on the characters. I liked it, but it was also depressing.

The Private Eye- Part of the Vaughan kick. This book was brilliant. The internet is outlawed, everyone's identity is secret with multiple aliases, the press has replaced the police. So many great ideas here and it's all wrapped up in a neo-noir story.
I've read both of these in the past month or so too, and totally echo your sentiments.

Even when Vaughn isn't on top form like with We Stand On Guard, he still manages a really engaging story. Love that dude!

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » August 2nd, 2019, 2:26 pm

Pitwar wrote:
August 2nd, 2019, 9:01 am
duskvstweak wrote:
July 30th, 2019, 8:02 pm

I've read both of these in the past month or so too, and totally echo your sentiments.

Even when Vaughn isn't on top form like with We Stand On Guard, he still manages a really engaging story. Love that dude!
Yeah, I think it's easy to see We Stand On Guard as middle of the road for Vaughan but it's still well done. I remember in interview in a Marvel comic I was reading back in 2004 and Vaughan was saying he doesn't like sequels, he wanted something NEW. I've thought back to that interview every time he does a new project and it's completely different then what he's done and what other people are doing.

Pitwar

Post by Pitwar » August 7th, 2019, 8:18 am

This might be of interest to my fellow comic readers.

I help out my local comic shop by presenting a weekly YouTube show going over some of the best releases of the week.

Feel free to take a look and let me know what you think :D

https://youtu.be/x6h6BXwXx-g

FemalePheromones

Post by FemalePheromones » August 12th, 2019, 5:18 am

Is anyone watching The Boys on Amazon? I've only watched the first episode so far and even though it was obviously never going to reach the ridiculous heights of the comics it definitely doesn't hold back that much.

It released the same weekend that the final season of Preacher started as well which seems like it has cut a lot of filler and gone straight for the endgame.

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » August 12th, 2019, 7:11 pm

FemalePheromones wrote:
August 12th, 2019, 5:18 am
Is anyone watching The Boys on Amazon? I've only watched the first episode so far and even though it was obviously never going to reach the ridiculous heights of the comics it definitely doesn't hold back that much.

It released the same weekend that the final season of Preacher started as well which seems like it has cut a lot of filler and gone straight for the endgame.
A bunch were talking about it in "What Have You Been Watching".

I just finished reading all six volumes of Descender by Jeff Lemire. Fantastic series. It's a great scifi tale with wonderful world building and flawed characters. The art, by Lil' Gotham's Dustin Nguyen, was perfect. Highly recommended.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » August 12th, 2019, 7:37 pm

Pitwar wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 8:18 am

I help out my local comic shop by presenting a weekly YouTube show going over some of the best releases of the week.

I had a look, it was good mate! I don't keep up with the latest releases, prefer to read TPBs, but if I did, it's exactly the sort of thing I'd find really useful and interesting.

I borrowed a James Bond comic from the library, and am enjoying it more than I thought I would. I've already read all that I wanted from their modest collection, so just got it out of a lack of anything else that took my fancy. Its pretty decent so far. It's written by Warren Ellis, which surprised me!

FemalePheromones

Post by FemalePheromones » August 12th, 2019, 7:39 pm

Ah I haven't looked at that thread for a while. Haven't been on the forum much really as I've been pretty busy. School holidays so been home with the kids a lot. My Marvel Unlimited subscription is even being neglected although I did read all of the 2013 Infinity series a few weeks ago.

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » August 12th, 2019, 8:16 pm

Pitwar wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 8:18 am

Subscribed! Very nice production. Do you mind sharing what program you use to put it all together?
Alex79uk wrote:
August 12th, 2019, 7:37 pm
I borrowed a James Bond comic from the library, and am enjoying it more than I thought I would. I've already read all that I wanted from their modest collection, so just got it out of a lack of anything else that took my fancy. Its pretty decent so far. It's written by Warren Ellis, which surprised me!
We added these to my library as well. My friend read them, but found them too gruesome for his taste. I still have to check them out.

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » August 13th, 2019, 10:53 am

The recent Bond stuff has an interesting backstory, the short form of which is that they’re intended to be ‘Bond from the books, not Bond from the movies’, which is why it’s grimmer.

Warren Ellis did the first two arcs, then others took over. There’s a fun one shot by Kieron Gillen that’s pretty good, for example,

Pitwar

Post by Pitwar » August 14th, 2019, 7:31 am

duskvstweak wrote:
August 12th, 2019, 8:16 pm
Subscribed! Very nice production. Do you mind sharing what program you use to put it all together?
We use a free bit of software called Blender to put togeher the shop videos. I'd like to take credit but I'm purely the host and we have a chap called Jamie that records and edits the video.

I have done a few comic based videos myself which I used iMovie on my Macbook to edit. Might as well plug those while I'm here :D

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBjkG5 ... gyZxSq8_-w