Comic Book Chatter

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
duskvstweak

Re: Comic Book Chatter

Post by duskvstweak »

Peter Milligan has always been hit or miss with me, with more misses, I would say.

I've been reading the original 90s Shadowman comics by Valiant. They're cool; dark and satisfying with a strange bayou-vibe. All the single issues are available with my Comixology subscription right now.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

The Audible adaption of Sandman is almost upon us. The first official clip has been released. It's just Gaiman narrating a tiny bit, but production quality seems good. Very much looking forward to this. And we've got the Netflix series to look forward to as well!

Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Because I often search for comic related stuff on Google, I'm forever getting utter shite like this article come up on my home page.

https://www-themanual-com.cdn.ampprojec ... wcomers%2F

It irritated me that there was no comments box, so I thought I'd post my response here!

Firstly, I personally take issue whenever anyone goes to pains to point out that graphic novels are NOT comics, because they always do so in such a way that dismisses comics. Almost like comics are childish, but graphic novels are OK for adults to read. So that wasn't a great start.

He then goes on to say that the difference between graphic novels and comics are that graphic novels are just one book and done, whereas comics are usually ongoing series. He also says graphic novels tend to feature more mature stories and are more nuanced for a more mature reader.

The thing is, the idiot then lists a bunch of 'graphic novels' that are pretty much all just collections of comics anyway, blowing any argument he'd laid down in his opening paragraphs out of the water.

:lol:

I know it's a stupid thing to get annoyed about, but these sorts of websites are just the utter scourge of the Internet. Sometimes I wonder if they're actually written by humans at all, and not just some AI generated content. I just can't think anyone lives a fulfilling life, writing these absolute fluff pieces. Still, I suppose we've all got bills to pay.

EDIT: Also, he said this about The Watchmen (sic).
Read this graphic novel, and if you don’t enjoy it, consider just sticking with your grocery store dime novels instead.
:lol:

Fuck off, mate.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I made the mistake of clicking that link. Very annoying (and the page design almost blinded me).

Yeah, the differentiation of graphic novels is old and tired and not worth a discussion really. And, like you said, he included Saga, which is like eight volumes long right now. Even Persepolis is two parts. Annoying.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Just finished reading On The Road To Perdition, which is a collection of three 90 or so page books, written by the original author, concerning some of the 'in between' stories occurring at the same time as the original book. It was good, definitely worth reading it you enjoyed the first book.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I feel like I haven't updated here in a while! I've been using Comixology a lot more this past few months. Alongside my Marvel Unlimited, it's been helpful for sure during quarantine

Big books finished...

House of X/Powers of X - I really got into it, loved the art. Don't trust Hickman to nail the landing in the long run but it was a cool scifi story in the X-Verse.

Top 10 - Maybe the most fun Alan Moore comic I've ever read?

Got back to Usagi Yojimbo with volume 26, started the original New Mutants series, started the original Shadow Man comics from the early 90s (it's so cool), and read Mark Millar's big dumb Chrononauts and I enjoyed it.

Also, I'll throw this here too, but me and my friend started a weekly comic book vid series where we just talk about the comics we read that week. So, more indepth reviews of said titles and stuff.

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Having a clear out of my comics so selling a few. Happy to post free of charge in the UK.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 428155110/
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

duskvstweak wrote: August 5th, 2020, 8:34 pm Top 10 - Maybe the most fun Alan Moore comic I've ever read?
Cool, good to hear you enjoyed it as I've had it on my list for a while and not got round to reading it yet. Looking forward to it at some point though. I'm stuck in a bit of a classic Spiderman rut at the moment. Not been able to start anything new for a couple of weeks, just keep going back to that Lee/Kirby initial run.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

DomsBeard wrote: August 11th, 2020, 3:46 pm Having a clear out of my comics so selling a few. Happy to post free of charge in the UK.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 428155110/
Ah a few of my favorite Batman stories in there. Unfortunately I've already got all of them except the Turtles book, but good luck with the sales :)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Set myself a bit of a mission to read the entire run of Fables, including spin-offs, over the next year. I loved the game and previously read up to the 7th or 8th trade paperback and was really enjoying it but dropped off for some reason. I'm going to start from the beginning again, looking forward to it!
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Alex79uk wrote: August 16th, 2020, 3:30 pm Set myself a bit of a mission to read the entire run of Fables, including spin-offs, over the next year. I loved the game and previously read up to the 7th or 8th trade paperback and was really enjoying it but dropped off for some reason. I'm going to start from the beginning again, looking forward to it!
I never read any of the spinoffs, unless they were included in the main Fables trade collection. Hope you enjoy this (re)adventure.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I wanted to start reading the Fairest? (I think it's called) for a while.

Alex I've got volume 12 of Fables if you want it FOC. It's in used condition as I picked it up in a charity shop a while back as I have volumes 1 through 4 and thought I'd get there but never have.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

DomsBeard wrote: August 17th, 2020, 4:59 amAlex I've got volume 12 of Fables if you want it FOC. It's in used condition as I picked it up in a charity shop a while back as I have volumes 1 through 4 and thought I'd get there but never have.
Sorry mate, missed this. Thanks a lot for the offer, but it's ok. I don't own any of the others physically, and having one would force me to collect all the others, haha.

Just finished The Wolf Among Us prequel story. Obviously it's based on the game, but a lot more content, it's really good!

Aside from Fables, I've decided to have a look at Suicide Squad. I'm aware of them via Batman comics, but never read any of their own stuff so am interested to have a read before the new game. I've gone right back to the origin in the 1950's via a handy TPB collecting the original issues, then jumping forward to what's considered the definitive run in the 80s/90s from John Ostrander. Not started yet but looking forward to it! Anyone else ever read any?
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Alex79uk wrote: August 28th, 2020, 3:43 pm
DomsBeard wrote: August 17th, 2020, 4:59 amAlex I've got volume 12 of Fables if you want it FOC. It's in used condition as I picked it up in a charity shop a while back as I have volumes 1 through 4 and thought I'd get there but never have.
Sorry mate, missed this. Thanks a lot for the offer, but it's ok. I don't own any of the others physically, and having one would force me to collect all the others, haha.

Just finished The Wolf Among Us prequel story. Obviously it's based on the game, but a lot more content, it's really good!

Aside from Fables, I've decided to have a look at Suicide Squad. I'm aware of them via Batman comics, but never read any of their own stuff so am interested to have a read before the new game. I've gone right back to the origin in the 1950's via a handy TPB collecting the original issues, then jumping forward to what's considered the definitive run in the 80s/90s from John Ostrander. Not started yet but looking forward to it! Anyone else ever read any?
Alex! I'm reading the Ostrander stuff right now! It's good stuff, I hope you enjoy it. Villains United/Secret Six would be a good place to go when your done with them. The later stuff, starting with the New 52 run, is a mixed bag. I tend to read it as a guilty pleasure these days. Nothing I've considered fantastic writing but. more often than not, fun. You're better than me, though. I've never read the 50s stuff (of Suicide Squad or anything, really).
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Ah awesome! What a coincidence. I'll let you know how I get on! Yeah, I've heard very mixed things about the New 52 run too.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

So yeah, I've bailed on the Silver Age Suicide Squad collection. Man it was really boring. Just standard wartime 'boys-own' hero story type stuff, all military based but fighting monsters. They were all stand alone stories, no overarching plot trying the stories together, so I read a few, now on to the 80s stuff.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Alex79uk wrote: August 30th, 2020, 5:45 pm So yeah, I've bailed on the Silver Age Suicide Squad collection. Man it was really boring. Just standard wartime 'boys-own' hero story type stuff, all military based but fighting monsters. They were all stand alone stories, no overarching plot trying the stories together, so I read a few, now on to the 80s stuff.
I think as long as you read Secret Origins 14, which is in Volume 1: Trial by Fire, you'll feel fine about your knowledge of the pre-80s origins.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm halfway through the first trade now, they just finished the first mission attacking the terrorist base.

Man, this is good stuff!

What a mean bunch of unlikable bastards, and fantastic writing (aside from the odd, uh, slightly anachronistic line here and there that would more than likely be edited in a reprint...)

Really enjoying this.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Alex79uk wrote: September 6th, 2020, 6:04 pm I'm halfway through the first trade now, they just finished the first mission attacking the terrorist base.

Man, this is good stuff!

What a mean bunch of unlikable bastards, and fantastic writing (aside from the odd, uh, slightly anachronistic line here and there that would more than likely be edited in a reprint...)

Really enjoying this.
I just finished the fifth trade. Still enjoying it. Also, make sure you read the Deadshot mini series when they mention it. It takes place during the third trade and was DARK.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Will do. I don't know any of these characters so far other than Deadshot, and even then only him via Batman comics. It's nice to read a brand new (old) series for a change. Haven't done this since I started Swamp Thing last year.