Comic Book Chatter

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
DomsBeard

Re: Comic Book Chatter

Post by DomsBeard »

I've just given up our storage facility so have a lot of comic books on my hands. Keeping everything Batman but moving on everything else.

Before I post them on ebay I thought I'd pop them on here to see if anyone is interested in any of them?

The Last Of US American Dreams
Watchmen
Civil War
New 52 Justice League Volumes 1 & 2
New 52 Birds Of Prey Volume 1
New 52 Suicide Squad Volume 1
New 52 Batgirl Volumes 1 to 5
Batgirl Volume 1 Batgirl of Burnside
New 52 Batwoman Volumes 1 to 4
The Walking Dead Volumes 1 to 3
Deus Ex Children's Crusade
New 52 Forever Evil
Wonder Woman Love and Murder
Aquaman Volume 1
Poison Ivy Cycle Of Life & Death
Zelda ocarina 1 and 2
Preacher book 1
Paper girls 1
Punisher max volume 7
New 52 Nightwing Volume 1
Grayson Volume 1
Unnatural Volumes 1 to 3

I also have a lot of individual early rebirth titles so if anyone is interested in those let me know
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

DomsBeard wrote: January 24th, 2020, 12:37 pm I've just given up our storage facility so have a lot of comic books on my hands. Keeping everything Batman but moving on everything else.

Before I post them on ebay I thought I'd pop them on here to see if anyone is interested in any of them?
Spoiler: show
Watchmen
Civil War
New 52 Forever Evil
Aquaman Volume 1
Zelda ocarina 1 and 2
Preacher book 1
Paper girls 1
Punisher max volume 7
Grayson Volume 1
Unnatural Volumes 1 to 3
I also have a lot of individual early rebirth titles so if anyone is interested in those let me know
Is the Punisher Max 7 the complete Jason Aaron volume?
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

duskvstweak wrote: January 24th, 2020, 3:45 pm
DomsBeard wrote: January 24th, 2020, 12:37 pm I've just given up our storage facility so have a lot of comic books on my hands. Keeping everything Batman but moving on everything else.

Watchmen
Civil War
New 52 Forever Evil
Aquaman Volume 1
Zelda ocarina 1 and 2
Preacher book 1
Paper girls 1
Punisher max volume 7
Grayson Volume 1
Unnatural Volumes 1 to 3
It's this one:

https://www.marvel.com/comics/collectio ... _paperback
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Still re-reading Sandman, and just finished The Kindly Ones for the first time in over 20 years. I never got on with that book the first time I read it, but I really liked it this time round.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

DomsBeard wrote: January 24th, 2020, 4:23 pm
duskvstweak wrote: January 24th, 2020, 3:45 pm

Watchmen
Civil War
New 52 Forever Evil
Aquaman Volume 1
Zelda ocarina 1 and 2
Preacher book 1
Paper girls 1
Punisher max volume 7
Grayson Volume 1
Unnatural Volumes 1 to 3
It's this one:

https://www.marvel.com/comics/collectio ... _paperback
I'll take it! Sent you a DM
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Alex79uk wrote: January 24th, 2020, 5:53 pm Still re-reading Sandman, and just finished The Kindly Ones for the first time in over 20 years. I never got on with that book the first time I read it, but I really liked it this time round.
My wife got me the full trade set for our anniversary and it will be the first time I've reread the series since my initial go as a teen. I'm a bit terrified.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

It's still brilliant, I think. My favorite books are probably The Dolls House and A Game Of You.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I will say, once you finish Sandman for a second or third time, I’d recommend reading ‘Sandman: overture’.

It’s an interesting coda / prologue piece that ties together some loose ends in a really satisfying way. It was written a long time after the original series so Neil is clearly not in the same place as he was when he wrote the original, so you can choose whether you take it as canon or not, but I really liked it.

There’s a lot of other spinoffs too. Written by Neil himself you have ‘Endless Nights’ which is a collection where each of the endless has their own story.

There’s also the two ‘Death’ miniseries he did (which i actually read way before I read Sandman itself), called ‘the high cost of living’ and ‘the time of your life’.

Here’s a full list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_T ... n_spinoffs

(Of the ones not written by Neil, I really liked ‘The Furies’ which is a good continuation of the story of some of the characters from The Kindly ones)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah I have Endless Nights and Overture as well as Dream Hunters and the two Death books. Also have The Furies, although I'm not sure I've ever actually read that. There are loads of new Sandman Universe books out over the last 18 months or so but most of them haven't been written by Gaiman. The Dead Boy Detectives is also good (not new now, or by Gaiman, but still enjoyable).

Some of the new stuff is pretty decent, I got the first trade of The Dreaming and thought it was pretty good.

Did you ever read Lucifer? I only ever got the first book but it didn't grab me. I was never overkeen on the character in the first place, but I might try it again some time.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Agreed on all the Death and Gaiman Sandman asides. Overture actually got me chocked up a bit when it first came out.
And I've never read Lucifer but it's been on my list for decades (frick, that's accurate).
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've just finished one of the greatest graphic novels I've ever read.

Blankets by Craig Thompson.

I was idely looking through a few 'best graphic novel' lists and this came up and looked interesting. It's an autobiographical coming of age type story, based on the authors inner struggle with his faith and his first relationship.

It's beautiful, heartbreaking, and on some level relatable to almost everyone who reads it. I implore you to check it out, I think it's an absolute masterpiece.

It's 600 pages and I read it in one sitting. I couldn't put it down. It's so easy to read, and you just won't want to stop. Really, it's just magnificent.

If you read comics digitally and would like a 'link', PM me, but I've just ordered the paperback from Amazon after finishing my downloaded copy. Really nice one for the collection, and I know I'll read it again.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I really want to give that a go, I've heard only great things. Seems up my street.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Please do, let me know what you thought of it!
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Blankets is great. And same, it was a one sitting read for me back when I first picked it up.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Piqued my interest. I know very little about comic books / graphic novels in general and therefore rarely know which ones are worth reading, so recommendations like these are always useful for me. Will report back.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I read the first two TPBs of Saga over the last couple of days. Really like it so far.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Alex79uk wrote: February 14th, 2020, 4:41 pm I read the first two TPBs of Saga over the last couple of days. Really like it so far.
Saga stays great all the way through, thought it's been on hiatus since volume nine. But, the plan is to go past a hundred issues, last time I checked. I think Vaughan was going back and forth between that and Paper Girls for a bit.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I've just read The Pride Of Baghdad by Brian K Vauhn, who is fast becoming one of my favorite comic book writers. It's a fictionalised account of the real story of a pride of lions escaping from Baghdad zoo during one of the conflicts over there. Not something I'd usually go for given it's about talking animals, but it's a really good (albeit sometimes horrific) story.

This week I discovered that as a student I can get six months totally free Amazon prime (and a half price rate after that) so took advantage of this and realised there are 100s of comics available on Prime Reading, so downloaded a load to the Kindle app on my phone (including the one mentioned above). I'm well used to reading comics on my phone, I do it every day, but usually they're just displayed as you'd expect, full page images which you can zoom in to if you want to. The comics on Amazon though are specially formatted and handle beautifully on the Kindle app (or hardware). You can double tap the screen and it'll zoom in to one comic panel, and tapping the screen will animate the comic to the next panel really nicely. If anyone has Prime and enjoys comics then definitely check out the Prime Reading section on the Amazon site and give it a try. It was a really neat discovery for me.
ThirdMan

Post by ThirdMan »

Alex79uk wrote: February 20th, 2020, 6:55 pmThe comics on Amazon though are specially formatted and handle beautifully on the Kindle app (or hardware). You can double tap the screen and it'll zoom in to one comic panel, and tapping the screen will animate the comic to the next panel really nicely. If anyone has Prime and enjoys comics then definitely check out the Prime Reading section on the Amazon site and give it a try.
I haven't tried a comic via the Kindle app yet but Amazon now owns Comixology so it sounds like they're using the latter's proprietary reader.

It was also a revelation for me and it fed into my pet theory re pirating, which is that if you give people an affordable and easily accessible alternative they'll dip into their pocket. Not everyone, but course, but enough to make it viable.
ThirdMan

Post by ThirdMan »

Alex79uk wrote: February 20th, 2020, 6:55 pm I've just read The Pride Of Baghdad by Brian K Vauhn, who is fast becoming one of my favorite comic book writers.
Y: The Last Man was the first series I read as an adult and it opened up the floodgates for me. Saga, however, struck me as awful, cringe-inducing, adolescent crap. I made it through the first four collected volumes because I bulk purchased them, but I haven't returned. Its ongoing critical acclaim has me completely stumped.