Comic Book Chatter

This is the place where you can confab about all the other stuff besides videogames.
Alex79uk

Re: Comic Book Chatter

Post by Alex79uk » June 5th, 2019, 10:35 am

Can you be more specific with Starman? Sounds good but I googled it and just found the DC character who's been in loads of books. Which ones did you mean? Thanks!

Also, I hope this isn't true :( Vertigo was a brilliant part of DC...

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/06/04 ... e-vertigo/

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » June 5th, 2019, 12:46 pm

http://www.comicscube.com/2012/10/a-sta ... ction.html

I found plenty of retrospectives but most had spoilers. This one doesn’t. There’s only a few comments at the end of the short article but they resonate with me.

Starman would be my desert island comic book series. It is in my opinion the finest piece of comic book writing ever and the most magnificent self contained superhero story there has even been. There’s guest appearances but often from niche characters, it’s nostalgic but forward thinking. It rewards you for knowledge of obscure characters but doesn’t penalise you if this were the first comic you ever read. I get goosebumps when I read it.

FemalePheromones

Post by FemalePheromones » June 6th, 2019, 5:16 am

I recently signed up for a month of Marvel Unlimited and am loving going back to events that I had missed before from not wanting to spend £££ on the graphic novels. I had already read The Infinity Gauntlet as someone bought it for me for Christmas a few years ago but after that went on to The Infinity War and then The Infinity Crusade but just the main series none of the tie ins.

Now I'm part way through House of M but actually reading all the tie ins for this one and am so glad I have done because it adds so much more depth to the story.

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » June 6th, 2019, 2:46 pm

FemalePheromones wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 5:16 am
I recently signed up for a month of Marvel Unlimited and am loving going back to events that I had missed before from not wanting to spend £££ on the graphic novels. I had already read The Infinity Gauntlet as someone bought it for me for Christmas a few years ago but after that went on to The Infinity War and then The Infinity Crusade but just the main series none of the tie ins.

Now I'm part way through House of M but actually reading all the tie ins for this one and am so glad I have done because it adds so much more depth to the story.
I LOVE the Unlimited app. It helps the way they collect events, like House of M, makes reading the tie-ins that much less of a hassle. Also, if you enjoyed the Gauntlet sequel series, I'd suggest Marvel: The End as well as the whole Annihilation story-line.

FemalePheromones

Post by FemalePheromones » June 6th, 2019, 3:42 pm

I'll add them to the list. I'm going to go from House of M to Age of Ultron and then Infinity and then Age of Apocalypse. It really is a great app, I only signed up for a month and then quickly cancelled so it won't auto-renew for the next month as I didn't want to pay again thinking it won't be worth it but now odds are that I will renew.

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » June 6th, 2019, 4:50 pm

FemalePheromones wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 3:42 pm
I'll add them to the list. I'm going to go from House of M to Age of Ultron and then Infinity and then Age of Apocalypse. It really is a great app, I only signed up for a month and then quickly cancelled so it won't auto-renew for the next month as I didn't want to pay again thinking it won't be worth it but now odds are that I will renew.
Age of Apocalypse is my favorite, one of the greats! And, I did the same thing! Did the free month to read some stuff quick but then broke down and got the year sub. It's one of the few monthly subscriptions where I know I'm getting my money's worth.

FemalePheromones

Post by FemalePheromones » June 6th, 2019, 5:08 pm

I've been into Marvel since I was a kid from the X-men and Spider-man cartoons in the 90s but only bought the odd graphic novels. Actually got into Deadpool for a while and have I think up to number 8 of the classics collections. I actually just looked on Ebay to see if it was worth selling them but I haven't decided if it's worth the effort.

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » June 21st, 2019, 7:28 pm

DC closing Vertigo Comics is sad news. Really down about this.
The Vertigo imprint taught me to love comic books, not just superheroes. My appreciation of the medium as a whole is due to Vertigo and a big reason I branch out and try new things as often as I do.
And Sandman basically re-wired my brain when I first read it as a teenager.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/dc-comics-just- ... 1835249469

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » July 15th, 2019, 6:12 pm

Well this has the potential to be fantastic!

https://www.nme.com/news/film/horror-le ... 528535/amp

John Carpenter, horror legend, to write new Joker comic.