...Meanwhile, at Game...

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
RoboticMonk3y

...Meanwhile, at Game...

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

Knowing that Tearaway is coming up on offer with PS+ soon, I thought perhaps I should see if I can finally get myself a copy.
I'm keen to pick up a physical copy, partly because then, I don't need to worry about memory card space, and partly, because I still like the idea of buying physical copies of game.

So I decide to walk to the home of joy and wonder, Game.

Behold the joy and wonder that greets me,

4 prices, for the *exact* same pre-opened game.

The member of staff, keen to pounce on you with the "is there anything you're looking for today?" question didn't really seem to care about the price difference "oh, it'll probably be the cheapest price", I explained how I visited the shop, because the game is currently on their web page for £13.99, the response?

a shrug and a "meh"
Indiana747

Re: ...Meanwhile, at Game...

Post by Indiana747 »

Ohhh GAME, you're such pranksters. :lol:
Kinda glad they're not about in Ireland anymore. People give out about CEX a hell of alot, but at least they are honest & upfront about what they sell, which is second hand goods. Thats all GAME have pushed this last 4-5 years, second hand games, thats always been they're focus with shelf space for second hand stuff, dwarfing that of new games. They hide behind the name but they are essentially a second hand shop which gives shitty trade in value on games yet turn around & put the same game back on the shelf at nearly the same price as new. A disgusting practice, imo, just so they can maximise the profit on some clueless sucker willing to listen to the uninformative staff. "Oh, and dont forget sir, you can trade your game back in at any time", aye, fuck off.
Only time i ever bought any games in a GAME shop was when they went into administration, cause it was the only time they had anything second hand at reasonable prices.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

I quite like the Game in my town, the staff specifically. I've shopped with them a good 5/6 years, and often have a pleasant chat while trading in. I don't go there often these days, due to not buying as many games, and Amazon is way cheaper.

I have been in some though where people jump down your throat. I can appreciate staff asking if you want help, and they no doubt have "ask or else" policies. But once I was asked "what are you looking for today?"
"I'm just browsing, thanks mate".
"we have that title pre-owned too!"
"was just looking, thanks though".
"are you looking to pre-order anything today?"

Had to politely walk away, he was gettting right on my tits.

One thing I don't like about Game is being asked "do you want to protect your disc for a pound?". No, I treat all my discs with care and respect. "Are you sure about that?". Yes, just give me it already.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

I had a great GAME but they closed it down. Now have to go to Middlesbrough or Teesside Park. Those are both great stores too.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I think it must depend on the staff. My local Game has always been terrible, I was treated like a major criminal over Christmas as I took back a wired battlefield 4 controller which was crashing my 360 whenever I plugged it in and wanted to swap it and pay £10 more to get a normal wireless one. Bear in mind I'm wanting to give them more money the manager looked at me as if to say I'd seen a unicorn outside and then proceeded to get a 360 out of the back then plug it in and then try the controller (it crashed it). Finally 20 minutes later it was sorted. I miss my indy stores too we a couple of amazing ones in my town.
Beck

Post by Beck »

I'm not a fan of game, last time I tried to purchase anything there was at the gta v launch. After 30 minutes of standing in a queue I put the game back on the shelf and walked out. It wasn't even busy, they just decided one person on tills and two on the floor was best.

I walked five minutes down the street and got it from hmv in seconds. HMV have really upped their game, no pun intended.

I just can't be done with them, they are over priced. They offer too little for pre owned and my local store is a mess. Plus I hate when they try to up sell. Why would I give you my copy of a game for a third of its value when I can sell on ebay and get 80%.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I've been thinking about picking up an Xbox One this weekend, and even though GAME have some decent deals I was put off from buying it from there because I just want to buy the thing and not have to say no to about a dozen questions first...

Do you want an extra controller? Do you want to sign up for the reward card? Do you want our accidental damage insurance? and so on...

Might just go to Argos this afternoon instead.

The local HMV really isn't an option, whoever is running the one in Guildford clearly has no interest in selling video games. It has a tiny section that's massively understocked.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

My HMV is the same. Mind you I picked up Killer Is Dead Ltd edition for £12 new yesterday.
Electric Crocosaurus

Post by Electric Crocosaurus »

I've never really had any bad Game stories until this past weekend, mostly because if salespeople try to talk to me while I'm browsing I'll get rid of them with a firm 'No, just browsing, thank you'. But when I bought Titanfall last Saturday the grilling I got at the counter was beyond the pale:

Would I like to purchase the season pass?
Would I like to purchase the guidebook?
Do I know it's online only?
Do I need to renew my XBox Gold subscription?

And so on. Maybe it's a sign of me getting old, but when he asked if I knew it was online only I was very tempted to say 'Son, I was collecting gold coins when you were still a twinkle in your daddy's eye'.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Asking if you're aware it's online only is actually pretty good of them, I suspect a lot of people won't know that.

But yeah, they can stuff their strategy guides where the sun don't shine, and I'm really not going to know if I want the season pass before I've even played the thing...
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I've never had a bad experience in a Game store myself. I suppose I hardly ever actually go in to them, since I buy most of my stuff online, but on the occasions I have gone in to browse or get something it's always been a perfectly uneventful experience. Maybe it has something to do with the way I look though. Maybe they look at me and see that I'm not the kind of person who they can pull a fast one on. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking, and I just come across as grumpy and uncommunicative. But either way I don't have any horror stories of how I've been treated in Game stores.

That said, when I was in a Game last I did overhear something of the sort. As I was browsing, there was this middle aged guy having a conversation with the young guy on the till. He seemed like he actually knew the guy, since their conversation was pretty friendly and in-depth. Or maybe he was just a chatty guy and the guy working saw an opportunity to take advantage of him through that. Anyway, the older guy was complaining about the PS4. Saying he was thinking about returning his. Saying it was "crap" because it didn't have any games. That was most of the conversation, but I remember earlier on the guy at the till was trying to sell a season pass for some game to him. Didn't catch what game it was for though.

I also remember another time where something else like that happened actually, although it wasn't at a Game store. I don't know what it was, but it definitely wasn't Game. Someone was buying me a game as a birthday present, and they were nice enough to actually get the limited edition version. They later revealed that going for that option was something the person at the store suggested to them, since they weren't the type of person to really know anything about games. The person at the shop obviously took that as an opportunity to upsell to them. Turned out for the best though, because I like my limited editions. It was one that only cost a few quid more too, so it wasn't a big deal.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

It's the down selling I dislike, when you go up to buy a new game and they ask if you want a second hand copy instead.

To be fair, GAME seem to not do this much anymore, I think they've toned it back a little after the 'scare' with MS considering blocking used games sales on XBO. The second hand sections seem to be far less 'up front and in your face' in my local branch at the moment.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Yes that's very much the case in the one remaining Brighton store too.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Yeah, I think it's quite good they checked if you knew it was online only and that you'd need Gold.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Flabyo wrote:It's the down selling I dislike, when you go up to buy a new game and they ask if you want a second hand copy instead.

To be fair, GAME seem to not do this much anymore, I think they've toned it back a little after the 'scare' with MS considering blocking used games sales on XBO. The second hand sections seem to be far less 'up front and in your face' in my local branch at the moment.
Rife in GameStop in the US and everyone I know hates it!