The videogame music thread

Here's where you can discuss and share music from videogames
CODEMONKEY

Re: The videogame music thread (also Sound of Play submissions)

Post by CODEMONKEY »

Recently heard this mickey mouse sound track again on a Top snes games list and was instantly taken back to a more simpler happier time before being a grown up and everything that has happened in 2020. Listening to this is like snuggling up in a nice warm blanket and playing this on a glowing CRT on a lazy winters Sunday afternoon, just brings a big nostalgic smile to my face, the game is not bad too.

shadowless_kick

Post by shadowless_kick »

The Virtua Fighter 3 OST is one of the first I remember importing as a kid, and some of my favorite tracks were the “extra” themes found at the end that weren’t tied to any particular character or stage (AFAIK).

besides having a bizarre title, ’Blandish Fist’ also has a funky bass/drum groove and a wiry, alien-sounding synth that’s easy to get stuck in your head.

I was surprised to find out just recently that the composer, Takenobu Mitsuyoshi, is also the man responsible for the iconic Daytona USA vocal tracks, among others.

bonus!!
wisheewashee

Post by wisheewashee »

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I’d like to request the entire Tetris Effect Soundtrack please.

I’m joking of course but I haven’t listened to music from a videogame this much since Hotline Miami and it’s pretty remarkable.

From the salubrious buffet of delights that is the soundtrack I’m going to select Joy which is uplifting in this time which is quite the opposite. Sip, savour or gulp. However you consume this piece there is joy to be had. Tis the season for the next 4 minutes 20 seconds.

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

2020 was not a good year I think we can all agree on that. Personally it has been hard to find respite from the oppressive and relentless negativity in the world we live in and even videogames have been less of an escape when my mind has been so full.

I have played a lot of VR recently for many reasons. One of those has been escape. The sensory experience and pure immersion has allowed respite from the overwhelming pressure of work. There is always the temptation to check an email or a text when playing conventionally which makes the whole experience less immersive so VR has been a godsend.

This year I played Paper Beast and I cannot stop thinking about it. As a VR experience it is unparalleled. It’s neither a game, nor a tech demo. Forgetting the obvious impracticality I can almost see it being an art museum installation or a paid for immersive film experience. I was moved in a way I can barely explain so I won’t. I would prefer anyone with a VR headset and a passing interest in the arts to experience it firsthand. Sadly the game seems to have barely made a ripple despite the positive critical reception.

The piece I have chosen is called First Flight. I am not ashamed to say I cried during this sequence where you take your first flight. The combination of sight, sound and Virtual Reality immersion moved me so profoundly that whenever I hear the music I am overcome. In that moment there was no hate, no death, just the wind in my face and freedom and love and majesty and hope.

Please, I implore you when you listen. Put headphones on, close your eyes and soar.

andthenweplay

Post by andthenweplay »

I recently received a copy of of Trials of Mana Remake and a copy of Collection of Mana for christmas this year. Normally when I get a new JRPG it takes me a month or two to reach the ending, Trials of Mana however I reached the end in a matter of 4 days. One of the songs from the remake really stood out to me is called Decision Bell.

I really enjoy songs from video games that sounds "spiritual", Hymn of the Faith from Final Fantasy X comes to might as well. Maybe it is that these songs tend to sound somewhat melancholic. Either way I hope you enjoy the tune

JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix »

I can't figure out any way to talk about why this track is so special without spoiling the game, so I'll just say that it's wonderful, and you should play 13 Sentinels.
ashman86

Post by ashman86 »

When my friends and I would get together back in 2003, we tended to play Xbox games primarily with a healthy dose of PC and Gamecube thrown in to the mix. The PS2, however, was primarily a singleplayer machine for me.

Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven became an unlikely exception to that, however, when a buddy of mine and I discovered the game's cooperative boss rush mode and spent an entire Saturday afternoon honing our skills until we could defeat all of them.

The game unceremoniously kicked us to the title screen immediately after the final boss fell, which made the whole thing feel a little underwhelming, but I still remember that afternoon fondly. This theme, which accompanies the final boss, was always one of my favorite tracks from the game.

rob25X

Post by rob25X »

Just one of the many great tracks from the Velocity 2X (PS4) soundtrack. This one is called 'Jintinda Lab'.

Nyx-Fontana

Post by Nyx-Fontana »

The Dynasty Warriors series has always been a series i hold near and dear to my heart. I know the games aren't for everyone, but they are what introduced me to the hack and slash genre as well as getting me invested in ancient chinese culture and rock music. Dynasty Warriors 7 i remember very fondly playing in high school, and it remains my favorite of the series in terms of how the story is portrayed and the music for each faction.

This song in particular is one of my favorites from DW 7, and how could it not be? You can just feel the energy and vigor surge through the song as you race across the battlefield. It really does make you feel like: an Epic Man

iamcarlgregory

Post by iamcarlgregory »

For the longest time, I was pretty sure I was the only person who had ever played the rhythm-combat classic Bust-A-Groove on the PS1, so imagine my immense surprise when Leon brought it up on only the second Sound of Play! I can’t say how I came by the game in my youth - it seemed to materialise out of nowhere amidst the litany of pirated (ahem, I mean legally-adjacent) titles I acquired during my PS1 years. What I can say is how immediately enamoured I was with the game’s bizarre cast of characters, and it’s catchy, genre-spanning soundtrack. The game became a staple multiplayer title in our house, and my siblings and I would often battle each other for supremacy, though our extensive experience with the title often meant that we would end up in a perfect draw.

'Transform' is the song that accompanies the character Kelly’s stage - an unassuming office worker by day, Kelly dons a sky blue onesie, baby bonnet and rattle by night, and dances around a giant, milk-spurting baby bottle to this super slow, beautifully brassy R’n’B jam. My young brain couldn’t make heads-nor-tails of it all those years ago - all I knew was that the track was an absolute bop. Funky bass riffs, a boom-bap drum beat, and some cruisy lyrics about "being who you want to" - ‘Transform’ is a great track, whether you’re dancing along or not.

Richard

Re: The Sound of Play submission thread

Post by Richard »

I just finished a play through of Cyber Shadow, Mechanical Head Studios' love letter to hardcore ninja side scrollers. Being published by Yacht Club Games was enough to make this a day one purchase for me, but I was impressed with how polished the game was, being developed mostly by a one-person team. The core gameplay will be familiar to anyone who played the 8-bit Ninja Gaiden series back in the day, and the difficulty is on par with those games as well, which might be off putting to some who might want a little more hand holding. I for one was smitten from the start, and enjoyed everything from the spare retro cutscenes to the hand wringing difficulty.

Similarly, the soundtrack by Enrique Martin is fantastic, and captures the whole vibe of the game. This track is from one of the many epic boss battles in the game

CODEMONKEY

Post by CODEMONKEY »

The Nintendo gigaleak has allowed the fans to restore the original soundtrack by reverse engineering it.

Koji Kondo's original vision on the soundtrack before all the compression and sound chips of the Super Nintendo were used to squeeze it into the cartridge.

This is the Super Mario world Overworld theme restored in all its glory, with crisper sound and greater range than ever before.

Kudos to the Brickster, Just simply stunning!

shadowless_kick

Post by shadowless_kick »

most people who bought Tobal No. 1 for the original PlayStation were probably just after the Final Fantasy VII demo disc it came with. but Tobal itself was a fun, unique 3D fighter that deserved more love than it got. that goes double for its sequel.

a preview in Diehard Gamefan magazine had me hyped for Tobal 2’s release, but when it never showed up in the U.S., I took matters into my own hands and entered the strange, new world of importing. turns out Tobal 2 was a surprisingly innovative, technically deep, and seriously beautiful fighting game for its time; it's a shame it flew under so many radars.

a lot of its soundtrack is unusually laid-back for a fighting game. one of my favorites, 'Amethyst,' is a good example of how it maintains the pulse for a fight while still managing to be mellow.

Amethyst by Takayuki Nakamura
Necromas

Post by Necromas »

With Bravely Default II on the horizon and Revo of Sound Horizon back to do the music I thought it would be a good idea to remind people just how amazing the soundtrack for the first game is. I remember on a previous podcast you guys talked about the music really punching above its weight class for a 3DS title and I couldn't agree more. (and yes, the tracks do still sound surprisingly good on the little handheld speakers)

Music is woven deeply into the game, with each character having a special move theme with an instrumental solo unique to their personality that the player is strongly encouraged to pay attention to because the stacking buffs you obtain from using your moves will actually run out the moment the solo ends.

The best track from the game has to be the final boss theme, The Serpent That Devours The Horizon. It's an epic orchestra meets rock track to rival the likes of the famous Dancing Mad theme from Final Fantasy 6. It stands on it's own just fine, but fans of the game will catch that it starts out with melodies borrowing from previous battle themes ramping up in intensity to sell the sense of dread. But then at the most climactic moment the solos from each of the characters special move themes come in, giving players an empowering rush saying "You can beat this!" before finally closing out with a teasing reference to the victory fanfare.

Image credit: Sandara on DeviantArt
Necromas

Post by Necromas »

Nyx-Fontana wrote: January 25th, 2021, 1:15 pm The Dynasty Warriors series has always been a series i hold near and dear to my heart. I know the games aren't for everyone, but they are what introduced me to the hack and slash genre as well as getting me invested in ancient chinese culture and rock music. Dynasty Warriors 7 i remember very fondly playing in high school, and it remains my favorite of the series in terms of how the story is portrayed and the music for each faction.

This song in particular is one of my favorites from DW 7, and how could it not be? You can just feel the energy and vigor surge through the song as you race across the battlefield. It really does make you feel like: an Epic Man

Okay now I want a crossover between Dynasty Warriors and Metal Gear Rising please. Just to see what the hell they would do with the soundtrack.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Sea of Thieves has become a wonderful biweekly escape for our ragbag crew of Nick, Darren and I. In amongst all the cooking, looting, grog slurping and emote buying we’ve slowly chipped away at the tall tales. It’s been a bit of a revelation in all honesty as I’ve been channeling my inner goonie and scratching my escape room problem solving itch (when I’m not deliberately sinking the ship).

One of the main quests involves obtaining the shroudbreaker to pierce through an ominous cloud called the shroud and find a hidden treasure island. This piece of music “Shroudbroken” plays at that very moment and it is amazing. I stood upon the bow of the ship as the visual spectacle (which I won’t spoil) well and truly blew me away feeling like anything is possible.

I usually play with the sound down so it is easier to chat but in that moment I sat down on the floor in near silence and turned the music up and just thought “wow”. A really special moment in a special game.

Richard

Post by Richard »

There was something for everyone in Nintendo's first Direct in ages back in February 2021, but nothing got me more excited than the immediate drop of the meaty (and awkwardly titled) Project TRIANGLE STRATEGY debut demo. While it will be quite some time until the game releases, I was happy to get my first chance at digging into this new tactical RPG. The look and feel of it retains all of the charm of Octopath Traveler, and with all the political intrigue that made Final Fantasy Tactics so great. And anyone who complained about Octopath's lack of connective tissue regarding the story will have nothing to grouse about here. It took me about four hours to finish the demo, which included two short battles, and the rest was all story and dialogue, much of which is voice acted (very poorly; I am hoping that the voices are fill-in for the final product).

Another treat of course is what has been revealed of Akira Senju's sweeping soundtrack so far, which captures the cinematic feel of this nascent title. Here is one of the many intense battle themes already on offer. I for one cannot wait for the final game.

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I do love the Bravely Default final boss theme. There was probably a conversation along the lines of

“What instruments should we use?”

“All of them”.
ashman86

Post by ashman86 »

I've listened to the soundtrack to Haven a ton since the game launched, despite having only just barely started the game. The soundtrack's gold from start to finish, and my current obsession is the track "Nothing but Rust." Listen all the way through to the last minute or so of the track, and I think you'll see why.