Mickey & Donald's Mega Drive Trilogy - Cane & Rinse 54

Archive for issues 51 - 100
Alex79uk

Re: Mickey & Donald's Mega Drive Trilogy - Cane & Rinse 54

Post by Alex79uk »

Whilst we're here - what did everyone think of the recent(ish) remake of Castle Of Illusion? I thought it was a fun distraction for a few minutes but didn't really spend too long with it, it seemed to lack a little of the charm the originals had - although I'm fully aware that nostalgia may well be clouding that call.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I played to about the halfway stage and was sorely disappointed.

The SEGA Australia team that did it said very specifically during development that they understood how important the 'feel' of controlling Mickey was, so I had high hopes. Yet - as far I was concerned - in the end they got that crucial part of the experience completely wrong. Mickey was too light and twitchy by half.

Even the music, which should have been amazing as it was re-orchestrated by Grant Kirkhope, fell a bit flat to these ears.

I thought it looked quite nice but overall was a real let-down.

Retrothumbs

Post by Retrothumbs »

Ahh yes, I was very eager to play this and bought it on day one. I concur with RatsoAlbian, Mickey just didn't feel right. He felt very slippery to handle and I think that you most definitely needed to nail this in the gameplay department. Arguably, I didn't really like the 2.5D aspect to it either but it was nice to look at. I also felt that the story telling audio didn't fit in either..so yeah, not a fan :) I've had more fun with the 3ds version Power Of Illusion, that plays a lot better and looks great in 3D too - I'm not a fan of the paint brush mechanics but if you love COI it's a must own.