Shenmue - Cane & Rinse 62

Archive for issues 51 - 100
ratsoalbion
Admin

Shenmue - Cane & Rinse 62

Post by ratsoalbion »

“Heh… you like me that much?”

A developer whose hallmark is technical wizardry, Yu Suzuki’s AM2 were responsible for eye-popping innovation throughout the eighties and nineties with arcade titles such as Space Harrier, OutRun and Virtua Fighter. Open-world RPG Shenmue would become his Symphony No. 8, his Sagrada Familia, as wild ambition and development costs swelled beyond sales that were realistically possible on SEGA’s under-performing Dreamcast. Leon, Darren Forman, James and special guest Dan Clark of The AI Bots podcast are your Yokosuka tour guides.

Music used in this show is as follows:

Track 1: Main Theme by Takenobu Mitsuyoshi / Yuzo Koshiro / Takeshi Yanagawa / Osamu Murata / Ryuji Iuchi

Track 2: Sedge Tree by Takenobu Mitsuyoshi / Yuzo Koshiro / Takeshi Yanagawa / Osamu Murata / Ryuji Iuchi

Cane & Rinse 62 was edited by Darren Gargette.

You can subscribe using iTUNES or use our RSS FEED, or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead.

DomsBeard

Re: Shenmue - Cane & Rinse 62

Post by DomsBeard »

Great episode, a well balanced argument for the pros and cons of the game.

magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

I listened to this having never played Shenmue, and figuring it would be something difficult to go back to now.

It sounds bonkers! If an HD version ever comes out, I might have to take a look just to see how all this worked in practice.

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

At it's time it was unlike anything I've ever played before. I wasn't wowed as much by a game till the time I left vault 101 in Fallout 3. Also playing it at the time we were not aware that 10+ years later the story wouldn't be finished.

deacon05oc

Post by deacon05oc »

Listening to this episode for the first time brings back memories both good and bad. I remember the immersion of being in this world. Very few have emulated this for me other than GTA: Vice City, San Andreas and for recent games The Witcher 3. Then I also remember the monotony and tedium. I recall being so lost because I was looking to advance the story but just doing stuff. And I never paid attention to the voice work in the past until it was discussed here. Very cringeworthy. I had an Xbox and start Shenmue II but never finished. Now with part 3 coming, I'm excited to see where this story goes again. A very mixed bag of a game, but a very important one at that.