BioShock - Cane & Rinse 69

Archive for issues 51 - 100
JaySevenZero
Admin

BioShock - Cane & Rinse 69

Post by JaySevenZero » February 25th, 2013, 2:12 pm

“I am Andrew Ryan, and I’m here to ask you a question.”

“Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? ‘No!’ says the man in Washington, ‘It belongs to the poor.’ ‘No!’ says the man in the Vatican, ‘It belongs to God.’ ‘No!’ says the man in Moscow, ‘It belongs to everyone.’ I rejected those answers; instead, I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose… Rapture! A city where the artist would not fear the censor, where the scientist would not be bound by petty morality, Where the great would not be constrained by the small! And with the sweat of your brow, Rapture can become your city as well.”

For this issue Leon Cox, Tony Atkins, James Carter and Karl Moon discuss Irrational Games seminal 2007 first person shooter, BioShock.

Additional audio used in this show is as follows:

Track 1: Andrew Ryan's Monologue
Track 2: Step Into My Gardens by Garry Schyman
Track 3: Empty Houses by Garry Schyman
Track 4: Cohen's Masterpiece by Garry Schyman

Cane & Rinse 69 was edited by Darren Gargette.

You can subscribe using iTUNES or use our RSS FEED, or you can just simply DOWNLOAD IT HERE instead.

NokkonWud

Re: BioShock - Cane & Rinse 69

Post by NokkonWud » February 25th, 2013, 3:48 pm

Really glad there's more audio in this one!

Hope you all enjoy it, the four of us had a hoot recording it, trying to serve this game the justice it deserves.

Scrustle

Post by Scrustle » February 25th, 2013, 7:59 pm

Great episode. The discussion about the encounter with Ryan was interesting.

I never had a problem with that fact that all control was taken away. It seemed appropriate to me. I figured at that point in the game you were under the strongest mind control of the entire narrative. The whole point of it -- even the whole point of the existence of Jack himself -- was to kill Ryan. Faced with Ryan in front of you and with weapon in hand, the unconscious, even instinctive desire to kill Ryan was overwhelming. If they had given you any kind of control at that point I think it would have taken away from the power of that scene. Jack wouldn't have been able to "experiment" with any other kind of option; the urge to just kill would have been too strong. And it kind of makes sense that at that point you would have stopped feeling like you were Jack, and that suddenly you were viewing as an outside observer. That's what Jack was feeling himself. He was seeing himself kill Ryan, but he wasn't in control and perhaps felt like he was watching someone else's actions too.

At that point Ryan's monologue was kind of half about trying to stop you by revealing how you've been manipulated, but also that he had kind of accepted his fate. Not because you were much more powerful than him, but he had seen what his paradise had become, so he didn't really care much about anything any more. He was still an intellectual, but had long realised that his idealism was flawed and that none of it really mattered any more. He tried to reason with you and showed you the truth, but ultimately he felt like that what was going to happen was going to happen and he just accepted that, whatever it was going to be.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » February 26th, 2013, 1:15 pm

A heads-up: BioShock is currently £4.49 from Xbox On Demand:
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Produ ... 02545407d8

Furthermore, we have three PC Steam copies to give away. Just post in this thread telling us that you want to win one.
When they're gone they're gone!

delb2k

Post by delb2k » February 26th, 2013, 1:43 pm

Can I win a code please!

Actually just started listening now...

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » February 26th, 2013, 3:02 pm

You can indeed. What's your Steam name?

mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 » February 26th, 2013, 5:06 pm

Another great episode, I have the feeling you might have just about crammed it all into what felt like a brief podcast compared to what it really could've been. Great edit from dezm0nd on this one, I'd almost forgot some of the amazing music from this game but really appreciated the ones you chose. Might be pointing out the obvious but you should send a link over to Mr. Levine as I think it's a fitting tribute to a great game!

magicjoef

Post by magicjoef » February 26th, 2013, 5:08 pm

(This isn't an entry)

Another good show gents. I'm definitely replaying the first few hours of this before my Infinite order arrives. The sights and sounds of Rapture really are some of the most memorable in gaming.

Also, I didn't realise System Shock 2 had gone up on GOG - I'm going to head there this evening and pick it up! Thanks for the tip off.

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd » February 26th, 2013, 5:35 pm

mikeleddy83 wrote:Another great episode, I have the feeling you might have just about crammed it all into what felt like a brief podcast compared to what it really could've been. Great edit from dezm0nd on this one, I'd almost forgot some of the amazing music from this game but really appreciated the ones you chose. Might be pointing out the obvious but you should send a link over to Mr. Levine as I think it's a fitting tribute to a great game!
Thanks for the kind words on the edit. Extra music went in per request of our very own Karl Moon. I for one was always cautious about overloading a podcast with music but if you like extra tracks then, depending on the game, I will slot one or two extras in!

strickenmcq

Post by strickenmcq » February 26th, 2013, 7:22 pm

Just finished listening to the podcast and wanted to say it was great. I'm a big fan of Bioshock, slightly less so of Bioshock 2 and thought that you covered the whole atmosphere of Rapture in your discussions. The twist really makes me think about what we do as characters in a video game because the game 'tells' us it is ok to do so. To broaden it out the scene in BLOPS where you put the glass in the scientists mouth and then punch him and of course in MW2 the 'no russian' level spring to mind.

Also never played it on PC so if there are any spares I'd love a copy. My steam id is the same as my username.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » February 26th, 2013, 8:02 pm

strickenmcq wrote:Also never played it on PC so if there are any spares I'd love a copy. My steam id is the same as my username.
No problem. James or Tony will furnish you (mine is going to del - once I find out his steam id).

One left people!

James

Post by James » February 26th, 2013, 8:37 pm

strickenmcq wrote:Just finished listening to the podcast and wanted to say it was great. I'm a big fan of Bioshock, slightly less so of Bioshock 2 and thought that you covered the whole atmosphere of Rapture in your discussions. The twist really makes me think about what we do as characters in a video game because the game 'tells' us it is ok to do so. To broaden it out the scene in BLOPS where you put the glass in the scientists mouth and then punch him and of course in MW2 the 'no russian' level spring to mind.

Also never played it on PC so if there are any spares I'd love a copy. My steam id is the same as my username.
I've added you on Steam and can message you the code on there once you've accepted my friend request. Alternatively, I've PM'd the code to your account here, so you can check your messages and avoid the awkwardness of having me on your Steam friends list. ;)

Either way, enjoy! :D

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard » February 27th, 2013, 7:44 am

Advice please!

I've heard that the ''twist'' is

Spoiler: show
Ryan's your dad and you were created on Rapture
Is there more to it than that? Wondering whether to listen to this episode yet or wait.

Ta

NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud » February 27th, 2013, 9:37 am

Play the game first.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » February 27th, 2013, 10:11 am

Yep, what Karl said.

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard » February 27th, 2013, 10:19 am

Thanks guys will do.

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard » February 27th, 2013, 10:49 pm

Was going to wait for Lovefilm but £4.49 is a steal. Downloading now :)

NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud » February 28th, 2013, 7:55 am

DomsBeard wrote:Was going to wait for Lovefilm but £4.49 is a steal. Downloading now :)
BioShock is one of those few elite games that every gamer should own IMO. Hope you enjoy it.

TheVisibleMan

Post by TheVisibleMan » March 1st, 2013, 10:36 am

If there's still a copy going, I'd like to win it please! I've been meaning to try Bioshock for an age...

(steam id is MechaBarker)

Ghost World

Post by Ghost World » March 1st, 2013, 11:04 am

TheVisibleMan wrote:If there's still a copy going, I've been meaning to try Bioshock for an age...
Your in luck as we have one code left!

I'll dig out the code and send it over to you this lunch time :)