Games Completed 2024

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Scrustle

Re: Games Completed 2024

Post by Scrustle »

Spoiler: show
12/01 - The Legend of Zelda: The Missing Link
28/01 - Tony Hawk's Underground
02/02 - Max Payne
03/02 - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD (Hero Mode)
07/02 - Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
14/02 - Max Payne 3
23/02 - Splatoon 3: Side Order (first clear)
28/02 - Splatoon 3: Side Order (all Palettes cleared)
05/03 - Alan Wake
08/03 - Alan Wake's American Nightmare
17/04 - Skye
27/04 - Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate HD (Hard)
04/05 - Star Wars: Republic Commando
13/05 - Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith
23/05 - NieR: Automata (endings A-Z)
01/06 - Dark Messiah of Might and Magic: Elements
03/06 - Tales From Off-Peak City Vol. 1
03/06 - Off-Peak
15/06 - God of War Ragnarök
18/06 - God of War Ragnarök: Valhalla
22/06 - Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
26/06 - God of War: Chains of Olympus HD

For a while now I’ve been feeling the itch to do another marathon of the old God of War games again. That’s part of why I finally picked up Ragnarök, but that didn’t quite scratch it. In fact the Valhalla DLC even made my desire stronger, with how that referenced back to these games so strongly.

I decided this time I would play through these games chronologically, rather than in release order like usual, although I’m skipping Ascension because I just don’t like that game. Doing it this way though coincidentally ends up having a neat escalation in scope with each game, which seems like an appropriate way to experience them.

This one is probably my least favourite of the series, of the ones I still like anyway. It’s not especially memorable or ambitious compared to the others, but even so I think it’s still a pretty solid game that is a lot of fun. It does feel comparable to the PS2 games, and that’s pretty impressive on its own. Mechanics are snappy and responsive, and there’s a decent array of abilities to play around with. Perhaps not as much as I’d like, but still enough to satisfy what you might expect out of a game in this series. It has a good sense of presentation and flair too, albeit on the somewhat modest side for these games. Overall a nice bite-sized chunk of God of War that still deserves a place alongside the rest.

Another partial reason for playing this was because I did actually attempt Warrior Within to continue my Prince of Persia journey, but I bounced off it hard, and it made me wish for something similar but better. I’m not sure I’ll go back to that game any time soon, but I still want to at least give it another chance at some point.
oni-link

Post by oni-link »

I beat a few over the last week:

Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes (2024)

I found the first few hours quite disappointing. It was cribbing too much in terms of plot from Suikoden II, and it does feel like a PS1 RPG in some really frustrating aspects.

There is a lack of modern QoL features and dungeons early on are about resource management more than anything else. That said, over time it really started to grow on me, the plot gets much better, the base building is great, and the characters and voice acting are all fantastic.

It really ends on a high with a fantastic final act as well. I hope they get a chance to make a sequel and if they do, and it presents the same leap in quality as was found from Suikoden I to Suikoden II, then we'll have an all timer on our hands

Still Wakes the Deep (2024)

I don't normally play walking sims, not do I tend to play horror games, so this was a weird one for me to play. I did find that while it's a very linear game, there was still enough basic gameplay there to keep me engaged, however the real star is the story and presentation.

The story, and more so the voice acting, are fantastic, and really pull you into the game. The setting really helps as well, as an oil rig is an incredibly isolated location and ideal for a game like this. The visuals are great as well and some of the set pieces are thrilling. That said, not a game to play if you have a fear of drowning in an enclosed space.

The only other game you could argue is a walking sim that I've played is Firewatch, which I also enjoyed, so this is a genre I really should look to explore more

Evil West (2022)

In many ways, this feels like a game from another era. It's very linear, you move from light puzzle to combat zone to cutscene and back again for 10 hours. The story isn't anything special and none of the characters are particularly interesting or memorable, so presumably the game isn't that good, right?

Well, it's not a classic by any means but the combat is fast, fun and satisfying and the game keeps adding in new mechanics and systems for the first 4 hours of the game. By the time you're at the midpoint you have about 10 different ways to dole out death, and other than a few enemies becoming bullet sponges nearer the end game, it remains a good time right the way to credits.

If a 3rd person vampire hunting cowboy take on Doom 2016 appeals to you, and you miss AA games, then you can do a lot worse than Evil West.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

oni-link wrote: June 27th, 2024, 3:56 pm Evil West (2022)

In many ways, this feels like a game from another era. It's very linear, you move from light puzzle to combat zone to cutscene and back again for 10 hours. The story isn't anything special and none of the characters are particularly interesting or memorable, so presumably the game isn't that good, right?

Well, it's not a classic by any means but the combat is fast, fun and satisfying and the game keeps adding in new mechanics and systems for the first 4 hours of the game. By the time you're at the midpoint you have about 10 different ways to dole out death, and other than a few enemies becoming bullet sponges nearer the end game, it remains a good time right the way to credits.

If a 3rd person vampire hunting cowboy take on Doom 2016 appeals to you, and you miss AA games, then you can do a lot worse than Evil West.
This is exactly how I feel about it. I think it's quite under rated. The gameplay was so much fun and I hope they do a sequel. Playing this has made me want to check out the Shadow Warrior series from the same team.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

25 June: Sunset Riders (ARC/Nintendo Switch)

I credit fed through this classic for our upcoming Video Wizards podcast. Who did I pick? Cormano, of course!

28 June: The Ninja Warriors (ARC/Nintendo Switch)

Credit fed through this one as well, for the upcoming Cane and Rinse podcast on the series.

28 June: The Ninja Saviors: Return of the Warriors (Nintendo Switch)

And I cleared the 2018 remake of the SNES/SFC version with the 3rd main character (Ninja) now. It was a lot of fun. He maybe has the least amount of extra moves in the remake (he can now whip out his 'chucks instantaneously for a bit of meter and his drop kick has ben changed into a shoulder drop), but the changes in some of the boss fights did force some extra adjustments in my tactics.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Truk_Kurt wrote: June 28th, 2024, 10:47 am This is exactly how I feel about it. I think it's quite under rated. The gameplay was so much fun and I hope they do a sequel. Playing this has made me want to check out the Shadow Warrior series from the same team.
Same. I dislike the formulaic structure, but the combat is genuinely good.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

02/02 - Max Payne
14/02 - Max Payne 3
05/03 - Alan Wake
17/04 - Skye
03/06 - Off-Peak
30/06 - God of War HD

The last time I did a marathon of all these games, I skipped this one for some reason, so I was a little apprehensive to see how well it would stand up. Usually I have put this game near the top of my rankings of this series, but since it had been so long since I last played it, I wasn’t sure if it would stay there coming back to it this time. Thankfully it holds up pretty well. It’s still a very fun time with bombastic action, impressive set pieces and presentation. It has great art design and a really chunky, visceral combat system.

When it comes to the specifics of those mechanics, I did have quite a few thoughts about them. One of the reasons I used to hold this game up above its sequels is how the moves you activate by holding L1 and hitting a face button are unique to this game, and were replaced in GoW2 with moves that the series mostly still uses up to this day. I always missed the specific versions from this game. It was fun to use those again this time around, although I’m not sure how they actually compare to their replacements any more. I don’t think they’re necessarily better or worse here after all. But this is something I want to keep an eye on as I keep going through these games.

I also got more use out of some more unexpected moves this time around, as I was trying to dig in to these systems a bit more than I have before. I ended up finding the shoulder barge move surprisingly useful, as it’s a great distance closer and can stagger a fair number of enemies too. The roll in to jump move was also pretty good for similar reasons. A bit more finicky to use, but has greater stagger potential for specific enemies. The hold square combo was also good as an alternative to the basic square combo and came in handy. I also got a bit more use out of parrying than I have in this game before. I have always heard how overpowered this mechanic is supposed to be in this series, although more so from GoW2 onwards, but I’ve never felt like it was as universally useful as it’s made out to be. The same ended up being true here. Occasionally helpful, but not really as practical or reliable as its reputation.

The Blade of Artemis is cool though. This used to be my favourite secondary weapon in a series that tends to struggle to make them compelling. It’s also interesting that this is the only traditional sword in any of these games that you are able to use without massive restrictions, when swords are usually so common in action games. It has a very satisfying weighty feel to it, it does good damage, and has a lot of hyper-armour that can be very helpful at times. But its range and mobility are limited, and its move set doesn’t feel particularly conducive to being strung together in combos. It’s fun, but it definitely feels basic compared to the Blades of Chaos. I’m interested to see how it compares to the spear from Ghost of Sparta as that is the other contender for the best secondary weapon of the series.

Although the combat overall is very fun, it does have some janky elements to it that are perhaps a sign of this being the first attempt at these systems. There are some enemy behaviours and interactions that feel a little unfair or unpolished. Like a couple that don’t have the most readable animations, or larger enemies that have a reach longer than your dodge roll distance. Sometimes grabbing an enemy to do a finisher could be really picky about being in the exact right spot too. But other than those few niggling issues, it’s mostly a good time. I also found the bosses to be more enjoyable than I remember them being too, for as few as there were. They are actually pretty engaging in terms of attack patterns, rather than just being a gimmicky set piece or damage sponge.

There was also more variety in the non-combat gameplay than I remembered. And perhaps more than later games too, although I need to refresh my memory on that. They tend to be pretty hit-and-miss though. There are some cool ideas here and there, but other times they can be a pain that I’m glad they ditched later on.

Sound design is another reason that I used to have for preferring this entry, so it’s something I was also paying attention to this run. It’s still good, but it wasn’t exactly how I remembered it. It’s got a very hefty and crunchy feel to it, but it doesn’t have that almost overbearing presence to it that I remember it having. Although I think that might be because my memories of that were from playing the original PS2 version that may have had worse audio quality, and so had bit-crushed or clipping sound effects that aren’t as such in this remaster version. I’m not necessarily disappointed though, this version still sounds good, and if I were to go back to that old version I might not like it as much as my nostalgia tells me anyway.

The soundtrack of this game also has a pretty interesting synth heavy element to it. Of course it has all the bombastic orchestral stuff for fights and big moments, but during quieter sections it goes in to this more electronic stuff that gives a sort of mystical tone to the game. It almost feels like a retro callback in a way, like something you would hear in fantasy media from the ‘80s. It gives the game a sense of being almost like a historical record, rather than being solely a product of the time it was released in.

I think I’m going to pause this marathon for the moment though. I definitely want to continue with it, but I don’t want to get burned out on these games either. So I’m taking a short break before I move on to the next one.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Jan 7: New Super Lucky’s Tale
Jan 7: Super Mario Land
Jan 9: Tetris Attack
Mar 2: Yakuza: Like a Dragon
Mar 17: Legend of the Mystical Ninja
Apr 6: Stray
Apr 18: Pac-Man World: Re-Pac
May 1: Ganbare Goemon 2: Kiteretsu Shōgun Magginesu
Jun 6: Code of Princess
Jun 30: Pokemon Radical Red (ver 4.0)

So after over 180 hours I have finally finished this incredible ROM hack of Pokemon Fire Red. Truthfully, I beat the main game in April but the post-game is so substantial that I figured I would get as much of this done until I got several of my pokemon to level 100. So I finally decided to finish this game when I caught Mew.

Radical Red is a significantly harder version of the base game with a shedload of features and QOL improvements from future generations included. That means Exp Share, Mega Evolutions, Z Moves, accessing Pokemon from the PC anytime you want and more. Also most of the Pokemon up to gen 9 are included which is amazing as I get to try some new monsters out without trying out the Switch games which really did not appeal to me especially after the mixed feedback they got. The customability is off the scales as well. Your pokemon can relearn every move it could have through the click of a menu option, learn egg moves without breeding, starters can be chosen from every generation and you can change the natures and abilities of every pokemon. The freedom to mould your pokemon team as you can see fit is truly immense. And honestly necessary. This game is HARD. Gym Leaders and bosses can truly ruin your day if you are not prepared. As a result, you cannot just have a reliable team of six as in the base Pokemon games. You have to adapt and try new tactics continuously. A good example is the second Giovanni fight where he has a sandstorm throughout the battle chipping at damage and a Hippowdon that will set up stealth rocks. The worst of his team is a Garganacl that is insanely bulky and uses Salt Cure which damages you every turn. It also knows Recover which can undo any damage you do quite significantly. So your pokemon can be damaged by stealth rocks, then sandstorm damage and Salt Cure while the Garganacl is recovering any damage you do to it. This can really whittle your pokemon’s HP to nothing really quickly if you do not know what to do with it. So I decided to counter it with a Bronzong which knew Heal Block which prevented it from recovering, poisoned it with Toxic and attacked using Psyshield Bash which also increased my defense. It is this constant need to shift your tactics which keeps battles so interesting and requires you to be familiar with a much wider range of Pokemon than you normally would in a regular playthrough. It gives one a real appreciation for how complex Pokemon battling can be when your opponent is more like a competitive player than regular AI. Now natures, movesets, abilities and held items really can make a difference to victory and using a new strategy to overcome a foe really can be satisfying when you pull it off.

And throughout the game, your opponents will always utilise new ways to make things hard for you such as: a double battle against a Mewtwo that will mega evolve after you defeat the base form; fighting several trainers in a row without healing your team (The biker gang in the post game are a bloody nightmare); the Elite Four preventing you to access the PC to swap in new pokemon; Professor Oak using two full teams of Pokemon in succession. It is plain evil with the tricks it pulls on you but it is never so difficult as to be impossible. There is a team you can build to take on these trainers , you just have to figure it out. Even though I am not into Souls-likes I can now see the appeal of the rush you feel when you finally have overcome a substantial challenge. One particular battle involved going against a trainer who had all Starters with a Starters team of my own. I was doing well until his last pokemon, a Mega Blaziken came out, which boosts its speed every turn. I had only two pokemon left, both grass types. Shit. However, its health was already in the red so if I play this right I might just be able to beat him. My Meowscarada used Sucker Punch, got him to just one HP before dying to a Close Combat. Then my last pokemon came out, Chesnaught which knew Spiky Shield. I was able to set it up before Blaziken could strike and it knocked itself out by attacking my spikes. Absolutely elated when my plan worked and was one of many moments that made me love this game.

Radical Red is now officially my favourite Pokemon game. It is a brutal challenge but it gives you so many tools to turn the odds in your favour that if you play smart you will be heavily rewarded. A lot of the new pokemon are actually really fun to use (particularly love my starter Skeledirge) and it made me appreciate older monsters that I never used before (Gliscor is an absolute beast with the right set up). While too hard for a regular Pokemon game, I do think even implementing an optional Hard mode where gym leaders are an actual challenge and it gives you enough tools to team build effectively could really be a nice option for those who are familiar with the series and don't need to be handheld like the modern ones do so often. After losing interest in the series through the Switch titles, Radical Red has reminded me why I love the Pokemon series so much. This game is continuously being updated (ver 4.1 has more features and pokemon from the the gen 9 DLC) and if there is a future update where they include the gen 10 pokemon, then it will be a must play for me. The love and passion put into this ROM hack is apparent and if you are one who likes pokemon and wants a challenge, this comes highly recommended.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Battlefield 3 - Series X.
(Jan) Hi-Fi Rush - Series X.
(Jan) Daymare 1998 - Series X.
(Jan) The Beast Inside - Series X.
(Feb) XIII - Series X.
(Feb) Close to the Sun - Series X.
(Feb) Atomic Heart - Series X.
(Feb) Return to Grace - Series X.
(Feb) MADiSON - PS5.
(Mar) TDPA: House of Ashes - PS5.
(Mar) RE Village: Shadows of Rose - PS5.
(Mar) Those Who Remain - Series X.
(Mar) Warhammer 40,000: Boltgun - Series X.
(Mar) Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart - PS5.
(Mar) Control: Ultimate Edition - Series X.
(Mar) DREDGE - Series X.
(Apr) Little Nightmares - Series X.
(Apr) Shadow of the Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition - Series X.
(Apr) Robocop: Rogue City - PS5.
(Apr) Little Nightmares II - Series X.
(May) Fallout 4 - PS5.
(May) The Maw - Xbox 360.
(May) Senua's Saga: Hellblade II - Series X.
(June) Alan Wake II: Night Springs dlc - Series X
(June) Castlestorm: Definitive Edition - Series X
(July) Still Wakes the Deep - Series X.
(July) The Quarry - PS5.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

02/02 - Max Payne
14/02 - Max Payne 3
05/03 - Alan Wake
17/04 - Skye
03/06 - Off-Peak
30/06 - God of War HD
06/07 - Solar Ash

This is a tough one for me to come to a conclusion on. Hyper Light Drifter is one of my favourite games of all time, and I spent so many years anticipating playing this follow-up. But at the same time, I was also very conscious of trying to keep my expectations in check. Reviews of this game on release were positive but not glowing, and it’s unfair to hold up any game to the standard of only your absolute favourites. In light of those things, I tried to go in with a bit more of a grounded mindset, and after all, a game doesn’t need to be among the very best to still be a good time. That’s true for most games I like. Yet I’m still coming away from this game a bit conflicted. There were definitely parts of it I liked a lot, but others don’t quite work and stopped this game from feeling like a cohesively unanimous success.

One thing this game does absolutely nail is the art design. It looks fantastic, with that distinct Heart Machine style palette of a lot of pastel neon colours. The world design is also really impressive, with how they use this setting of the inside of a black hole to twist the environment around itself in really cool ways that make for some amazing vistas to look at. It’s got a really strong sense of iconic imagery too, with things like Echo and the boss design. There are so many great little animation flourishes too that give the game a slick and stylish feel as well.

Complimenting that is the incredible soundtrack. Once again Disasterpeace brings these amazing compositions made of booming, bassy synths accompanied with very unique instrument choices that create an ominous and looming atmosphere that also has a sense of surreality and mystery to it. It's got a sort of alien melancholy to it that I like a lot. It’s an interesting evolution on the sound of the HLD soundtrack, going even further in to the unorthodox percussion, adding to the off-kilter feel. (EDIT: It turns out that despite this soundtrack sounding very similar to his style, Disasterpeace was only one of several composers on this game, and wasn't even the main one. The main composer was Troupe Gammage.)

But this is also a point where I feel a little let down by the game. Even though the music is so good, this time around it has to share the audioscape with the quite prominent voice acting, which I think does it a disservice. Characters talk quite a lot, and it rubs up against the mood of the soundtrack. It’s not necessarily that the voice acting is bad, but it does at times feel like several of the characters are a little too chirpy and upbeat for the situation they are in. Their performances as well often feel somewhat artificial. Like when they talk they come across like they are trying hard to do “good voice acting”, rather than it feeling like natural talking. I did consider muting the voices at one point, but I didn’t want to mess with the artistic intention, or risk missing out on some part of the experience. The final sequence of the game definitely felt like it wouldn’t have worked as well if I had done that.

On the more positive side again, the gameplay is generally pretty fun. Controls are really snappy and responsive, and it feels very fluid and satisfying to zip around the place. It does some pretty cool things with the relative gravity of this fragmented world design. It’s kind of mixing together Shadow of the Colossus with Mario Galaxy, but with an emphasis on high speed movement as well. That does lead to some very creative and fun little platforming challenges, as the game comes up with interesting ways to use its terrain to get you to move around it in unexpected and fun ways. Sometimes it doesn’t do so well however, with some sequences feeling fiddly and unintuitive, with some awkward camera interactions. But when it works, it’s really fun. The bosses in particular are some of the best moments. While they can be tricky at first, once you get the hang of them they provide some very cool and fun challenges, when you get in to the flow of seamlessly tearing across the bodies of these huge beasts, just barely hitting the weak points before time runs out, with the music building in volume and intensity with each phase. Then it climaxes in the super satisfying final hit where the music hits the final note and it all ends in a stark monochrome explosion. Another great touch of inspired aesthetic presentation.

Although unfortunately this part of the game is also marred by issues that make it hard to praise without qualification. The optimisation is far from perfect. Performance is really spotty, despite there being no clear reason for it. My PC meets the recommended specs almost exactly, yet I was getting huge sustained frame drops for quite a lot of the game. It varies a lot from area to area, but the severity of the problem didn’t seem to have anything to do with the complexity of what was on screen. Not that anything in this game is graphically complex at all. Changing settings did little to nothing, and in researching these problems I discovered that they persist across even far more powerful builds than mine, and on the console versions too. At their worst the struggling frame rate did have a pretty negative impact on the experience of the game, with it being so focused on fast, constant motion. Thankfully the later levels of the game aren’t as bad as some of the earlier ones.

When I was first collecting my thoughts on this game I was originally going to be significantly more negative, but now that I’ve seen it through I ended up coming around on it. I still feel like it could have been something more than it was, and there are certain choices about its artistic direction that I don’t think paid off. But despite that, I still found a lot to like in it. In terms of visuals and music, it’s brilliant. It’s got a lot of fun and interesting elements to the gameplay as well. While it doesn’t quite coalesce in to something greater than the sum of its parts like HLD did, it’s still got a lot to appreciate and ends on a strong note too. I’m happy to have played it when all is said and done.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79 wrote: January 2nd, 2024, 12:11 pmJAN - Strider (Arcade on Evercade)
JAN - Strider (Megadrive on Switch)
JAN - God Of War (PS5)
JAN - Universal Paperclips (Android)
FEB - Alwa's Awakening (Evercade)
FEB - Little Inferno (Android)
FEB - Spider-Man 2 (PS5)
FEB - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Arcade on Switch)
FEB - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game (NES on Switch)
FEB - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: The Manhattan Project (NES on Switch)
FEB - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters (NES on Switch)
FEB - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall Of The Foot Clan (Gameboy on Switch)
FEB - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: Back From The Sewers (Gameboy on Switch)
MAR - Mario Golf (Gameboy on Switch)
MAR - Duke Nukem Remastered (Evercade)
APR - Castlevania Legends (Gameboy on Switch)
APR - The Combatribes (Arcade on Evercade)
APR - Dragons Dogma: Dark Arisen (Switch)
APR - Bioshock (Switch)
MAY - Tinykin (Switch)
MAY - Elden Ring (Xbox)
JUN - Street Fighter Alpha 3 (Arcade on Switch)
JUN - EAFC 24: Euros 2024 Mode (PS5)
JUN - Policenauts (PS1 on Vita)
JUN - Nyghtmare: The Ninth King (Evercade)
JUN - Cocoon (Switch)
JUN - Llamasoft: The Jeff Minter Story (Switch)
JUL - Atari 50 (Switch)

An incredible collection and journey through Atari's history. I completed all the timelines and played every game, some more than others, and there are some real stand out gems on here (along with admittedly a lot of games you'll try once and never touch again). But even some of the old 2600 stuff is highly playable today. There's a prototype of an underwater shooter called Aquaventure, which is really fun, and some of the old arcade games have really never aged a day. Just a delightful package all round really, and a must for anyone who grew up gaming in the 70s and 80s. Can't wait for the DLC!
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

02/02 - Max Payne
14/02 - Max Payne 3
05/03 - Alan Wake
17/04 - Skye
03/06 - Off-Peak
30/06 - God of War HD
06/07 - Solar Ash
09/07 - God of War: Ghost of Sparta HD

Very fun game, and interesting to play right after the original God of War. Going from what is the first and perhaps least polished version of this game design template (except maybe Ascension), immediately to almost the last and one of the most polished.

Combat feels great, it’s very fluid and moves flow together very well in a way that feels much more suited to stringing together combos. It also does a lot to iron out all the little annoyances of the first entry, like how grabbing enemies could feel very picky and unreliable in that game. The way this game does QTEs by having the button prompts on the edge of the screen is way better too, as it actually lets you enjoy the animation that it is supposed to be showcasing, rather than just staring at the one spot where button prompts appear.

The spear is a pretty good secondary weapon too. While is doesn’t have as big a move set as the blades do, there’s still enough there to make it feel like is actually has some variety in how you use it, and you can combo with it too. It also avoids the problem that a lot of secondary weapons have in this series by feeling like a viable alternative. The issue that others often have is that the blades are just too good, as they fill both the DPS and AOE niches at the same time, and enemies are designed around that functionality. So other weapons struggle to find a reason to exist against them, and often feel lacking in their capability. But this spear has decent reach that lets it compete in the AOE front, but still has a unique character to its other moves too.

One thing I really like about these PSP entries is their breakneck pacing. It makes them very fun and easy to barrel through. They are very concentrated experiences with little downtime. It makes them feel like they are all killer and no filler. Or at least for this particular entry, as the general level of quality is several steps up from Chains of Olympus. This also means the scope of levels is somewhat smaller than the mainline entries, and that can be a good and bad thing. It’s good in that it helps the pacing, and also avoids the issues that the first game could have in moments where gameplay shifted to one of the less interesting side-activities, or when you reached a branching path and it was unclear which was the optional one, leading to missing secrets unintentionally. But the smaller battle arenas in these entries can sometimes feel too cramped for the larger enemies, and it means that the sense of epic scale that these games do so well is somewhat lessened in these iterations.

Visually it’s very nice. It has a nice clean, smooth look that feels like it’s getting the absolute maximum level of detail out of a limited polygon budget in a way that’s very impressive. It’s also got an emphasis on little atmospheric touches that really bring it to life. Things like dust blowing in the wind, water spraying from turbulent waves, or smoke rising from volcanic fire. Each area of the game also has a very distinct colour palette to it as well. It helps each location stand out from one another in a very obvious way, but it can at times feel a bit limited in the time you spend in any one location. It still always looks good, but it can lead to backdrops blending in to themselves a bit sometimes.

The story of this does feel appropriate to immediately follow the first game, as it covers a lot of stuff that was teased in the bonus materials of that one. It makes good on the promises that were made for what the direction of this series was originally supposed to take, and helps provide some space between the first two mainline games, giving Kratos a bit more of a justification for his mindset at the start of GoW2 as well. It also drops some references to plot points yet to come, that here feel like foreshadowing when played in this order.

This game also got me thinking back to when I was talking about the idea of God of War clones some time ago, and how I think people overstated their prevalence. I stumbled on the realisation that the year this game came out (2010) there was coincidentally a glut of them. Two games in this series, Dante’s Inferno, Lords of Shadow, and The Force Unleashed 2. The original Darksiders also came out that year, and that often gets lumped in with this crowd, despite it not really belonging there. But with so many coming out in a single year, maybe this is what triggered this sentiment of over-saturation.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

JAN - God Of War (PS5)
FEB - Spider-Man 2 (PS5)
APR - Bioshock (Switch)
MAY - Tinykin (Switch)
MAY - Elden Ring (Xbox)
JUN - Cocoon (Switch)
JUL - Atari 50 (Switch)
JUL - U.N. Squadron (Arcade on Vita)

Eh, it's a perfectly competent horizontal arcade shmup. Quite enjoyable but aside from a shop system between levels, which certainly isn't the norm in shooters (although does feature in a quite a few) there isn't really anything to set it apart from the rest. It's a fun game and actually not overly difficult. The game looks nice enough with decent sprites although the music was a bit garbled in my emulation (better on the actual Final Burn CPS-1 emulator than MAME) so I couldn't really tell if it had good sound or not, but overall a decent enough game. Not really got enough to say about the game to warrant a post on the show thread, but I'll be listening with interest!
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Battlefield 3 - Series X.
(Jan) Hi-Fi Rush - Series X.
(Jan) Daymare 1998 - Series X.
(Jan) The Beast Inside - Series X.
(Feb) XIII - Series X.
(Feb) Close to the Sun - Series X.
(Feb) Atomic Heart - Series X.
(Feb) Return to Grace - Series X.
(Feb) MADiSON - PS5.
(Mar) TDPA: House of Ashes - PS5.
(Mar) RE Village: Shadows of Rose - PS5.
(Mar) Those Who Remain - Series X.
(Mar) Warhammer 40,000: Boltgun - Series X.
(Mar) Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart - PS5.
(Mar) Control: Ultimate Edition - Series X.
(Mar) DREDGE - Series X.
(Apr) Little Nightmares - Series X.
(Apr) Shadow of the Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition - Series X.
(Apr) Robocop: Rogue City - PS5.
(Apr) Little Nightmares II - Series X.
(May) Fallout 4 - PS5.
(May) The Maw - Xbox 360.
(May) Senua's Saga: Hellblade II - Series X.
(June) Alan Wake II: Night Springs dlc - Series X
(June) Castlestorm: Definitive Edition - Series X
(July) Still Wakes the Deep - Series X.
(July) The Quarry - PS5.
(July) Bright Memory Infinite - Series X.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

12 July: U.N. Squadron (SNES)

I had to get good at this game for the upcoming Cane and Rinse podcast recording and I had about a week to do it. Managed a 2CC with Shin and I'll be trying for the 1CC. It's doable, but I need a fair bit of extra practice, to be able to play the game more or less faultlessly. So far, I can get to the penultimate stage on 1 credit.
oni-link

Post by oni-link »

Two more for me:

Toem

This was such a cute little game. I really like the art style and the choice to keep the game entirely in black and white. You spend the whole game just going around helping people out and taking pics for people. It's a really nice, cosy and relaxing time. The music is enjoyable too.

Ghostwire Tokyo

I don't think the game makes the best first impression, and the combat is mostly only serviceable, but the game did eventually grow on me.

In many ways the game feels like an early open world game from the PS360 era. You have a main story and then a lot of collectable style side missions. The map looks spectacular but it's mostly the same with little variety, and many of the other aspects of the game feel quite budget. There are few cutscenes, most of the NPC's you speak to are ghostly figures or they only ever speak to you on the phone (or from within your mind, in KK's case) and there are only a few different enemy types.

The uniqueness of the games tone and setting make the game more memorable than it would otherwise be, but there is something oddly satisfying about ticking off all the side missions and collecting all the spirits in the world, and the overall atmosphere of the game is fantastic.

It's the kind of game where you could have seen a sequel being a huge leap over the first game, however, now Tango are no more, I would imagine there isn't a chance we'll ever see a follow up. A game that's just about better than the sum of it's parts.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

02/02 - Max Payne
14/02 - Max Payne 3
05/03 - Alan Wake
17/04 - Skye
03/06 - Off-Peak
30/06 - God of War HD
06/07 - Solar Ash
09/07 - God of War: Ghost of Sparta HD
15/07 - Machinika Museum

This is one of those puzzle box games very similar to The Room series. Never played any game in this genre before but I have been somewhat curious to try one out for a while. This one was pretty entertaining as a thing to fiddle around with for a few hours. The puzzles have a satisfying tactility to them, being mostly themed around working out how different parts of various alien contraptions function in order to get them to open up and reveal their secrets. It's generally pretty good at communicating what it wants from you while still making it not completely straightforward.

But the main reason why I haven't tried one of these games before also ended up being something of a problem here that got in the way of that core appeal. Games of this type are usually made for mobile touch controls first, and so are designed around that. When they do occasionally get ported to PC, they often lack controller support for understandable reasons. This one does have it, but it's not really a good way to play the game. It's awkward and imprecise, with some less than ideal control schemes. But even when I switched to using a mouse for some parts, I found that honestly wasn't much better.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Jan 7: New Super Lucky’s Tale
Jan 7: Super Mario Land
Jan 9: Tetris Attack
Mar 2: Yakuza: Like a Dragon
Mar 17: Legend of the Mystical Ninja
Apr 6: Stray
Apr 18: Pac-Man World: Re-Pac
May 1: Ganbare Goemon 2: Kiteretsu Shōgun Magginesu
Jun 6: Code of Princess
Jun 30: Pokemon Radical Red (ver 4.0)
July 14: Sonic Advance 2

Finally completed a basic playthrough of this with all four characters. Apparently there is a true ending where you need all of the Chaos Emeralds but I am truly unaware of where you can even find those so basic ending was good enough for me.

I found that for the most part the level design was an improvement on the original Sonic Advance with way less randomly placed spikes and bottomless pits everywhere. Instead the level design hemmed more closely to the philosophy of Sonic 2’s sensibilities, with a near constant focus on speed that skilled players can maintain constantly throughout the entire stage. This made going through levels really enjoyable and made for a much smoother gameplay experience overall.

Sonic, Tails and Knuckles are playable alongside newcomer Cream the Rabbit with her pet Chao. Cream is clearly meant to be super easy mode as she can get her Chao to attack ahead of her which makes boss battles a joke as she does not even need to be near Robotnik to do damage to him. All other protagonists are significantly harder than her playthrough but it was quite nice to breeze through all in all. Also her waving at the player while grinding on rails is quite endearing and a great example of the expressive animation present throughout the game.

For me there are only two big flaws, both involving boss battles. One is that the end boss, is a gauntlet of the previous bosses and then a fairly tricky final fight at the end. In fairness, if you die along the way, you do start at the current boss you are fighting but the boss gauntlet is just a trope I have never been fond of and always struck me as padding out a game. Not too egregious when it is two or three fights but all previous boss fights is a tad bit overkill. Secondly, the boss of the fifth stage is Robotnik on a giant wheel with a laser gun and a giant stretchy arm with a slapping hand. Getting rid of the laser is not too hard but you have to wait until Robotnik is within attacking distance and avoid this hand which if it hits you just right will instantly kill you. Outside of the final boss, I have died the most at this boss and have often died when I had just one more hit to kill him. I was stuck on this guy for AGES with Tails and Knuckles and he was definitely the worst of the boss gauntlet at the end often prematurely ending my winning streak. With most other bosses I picked up the patterns fairly quickly but this was always a crap-shoot and both this shitty boss and the final boss gauntlet were the major impediment to me finishing this in a timely manner.

Boss complaints aside, I do think Advance 2 is overall a strong improvement over the first one. If the Advance trilogy follows the same trajectory in quality as the Mega Drive trilogy, then I eagerly await trying out Advance 3. Hopefully it maintains the high level design of this game and pulls less nonsense with the bosses.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

13 July: Carrier Airwing (ARC / Nintendo Switch)

Credit fed through this game for the podcast on it and U.N. Squadron and Area 88.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

JAN - God Of War (PS5)
FEB - Spider-Man 2 (PS5)
APR - Bioshock (Switch)
MAY - Tinykin (Switch)
MAY - Elden Ring (Xbox)
JUN - Cocoon (Switch)
JUL - Atari 50 (Switch)
JUL - U.N. Squadron (Arcade on Vita)
JUL - The Legend Of Silkroad (Arcade on Evercade)

This is a scrolling beat 'em up from 1999, found on the Piko arcade cartridge. It features three playable characters and there's a surprising amount of depth to the gameplay with several special moves, unleashed by inputting Street Fighter style commands, on the control pad. With graphics that look more digitised rather than sprite based it looks a little different to most arcade brawlers, and whilst it's not an amazing game it kept me enough to finish it in one sitting without getting bored, which is definitely not the norm in this genre, as much as I enjoy it. Worth a play, I say!
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

19/07 - Clash: Artifacts of Chaos

This was a very cool and unique game, not just in terms of art style but also mechanics. I had a great time with it, although even as a big fan of the Zeno Clash games that this is a successor to, I had a hard time getting to grips with it initially. But once I got over that negative first impression and got the hang of it, it became a very enjoyable experience.

It comes across as being a bit janky at first, with numerous small instances of lacking polish here and there. But the real issue is how bad it is at introducing the mechanics and tutorialising things. At the start of the game you are very weak, the controls are pretty demanding of your inputs, and how they work isn’t clearly explained. I ended up having to look up online guides to understand exactly what the game was expecting of me, but that was a big help in getting to grips with it. Once I did that, things clicked and it became a way better time.

It’s a pretty engaging system once you work it out. It’s rather picky about button timing, so you can’t really get away with mashing. It’s very focused on keeping up a relentless string of rapid attacks in a combo. To do that you have to link together attacks coming out of directional dodges, that you trigger by timing your dodge to the moment your attack lands on an enemy. It points you towards a play style which is very fast and aggressive, yet deliberate at the same time. It can be somewhat counterintuitive at first, but once it clicks it creates a really satisfying sense of flow and momentum. Despite this game being presented with a much more conventional 3rd person camera compared to the Zeno Clash games, to actually play it’s a much more unique feeling system. It’s also deeper and more rewarding too.

There’s also a load of different fighting styles that you learn over the adventure too. They all control with the same setup, but they all feel very different to actually use, with a bunch of unconventional stances and movements that they include. It was pretty fun to come across a new one and see how it handled, although I ended up sticking to the same two or three styles by the end, mostly using the speedy Lightning style. My initial choice of style was probably a big part of why I had such a hard time at first too. I picked the Slash style, and that was a mistake. It’s supposed to be focused on wide sweeping attacks, but that didn’t prove very useful against its weaknesses of poor damage and abysmal reach. The more conventional Boxing style is probably the best thing to start off with.

The dice minigame was also fun, despite it not necessarily seeming like something that would fit a game like this. You do it at the start of most fights against what the game deems “intelligent” opponents, and the outcome causes some effect to take place during the fight itself. The minigame is entertaining on its own, but it can also be helpful to tipping the scales in your favour if you need it, and it’s also optional most of the time as well. It also works as a cool little bit of worldbuilding, showing the strange rules and rituals this society runs by that makes sense for this setting.

The aesthetic styling of this game is of course fantastic too. The surreal weirdness of the other ZC game comes back, just as imaginative and strange as ever. Zenozoik is such a cool setting, with all the odd architecture, flora and fauna, and strange character design too. It’s full of a lot of really intriguing and compelling imagery. This time around it has a much more detailed and vivid presentation too. Environments are denser, colours are richer, and everything is rendered in a cel shaded look that also has a neat touch of giving everything a sketchy, cross-hatched appearance. It fits the psychedelic tone of this world perfectly. I’m not sure if I prefer this or the old style though. The more realistic rendering of the previous games did enhance their surreality in a way, by making all this strange stuff feel more tangibly real, that highlighted its unreality. But perhaps this new style is better because after a while seeing this same world it might start to lose its novelty and impact, so seeing it in this new light helps make it feel fresh again. It’s also just a more original look in general I suppose. As I was looking up stuff about this game I also discovered that this style was always intended for the old games too, but they didn’t have the tech to make it work before this game.

The aesthetic does create some problems for gameplay however. Everything is so high contrast and colours so strong that it can be hard to pick out collectables needed for crafting, or other interactive elements. A lot of the time I only noticed an item was right in front of me because the UI prompt for it appeared.

There wasn’t a huge amount to the story, but with this series it usually tends to feel like it’s more interested in exploring this weird world rather than crafting a singular narrative, and that is where the strength of these game lie anyway. The relationship between the two main characters is pretty well done though, as the stern and cynical Pseudo, and the curious and innocent Boy grow closer together and build a bond. They share a good few touching moments together.

One more little detail that I thought was interesting is that this game gives you the option of whether you want the game world to be split in to separate loading zones or if you want to to stream in levels without any barriers. So the game was designed to be a completely contiguously connected world, despite the fact that by default it is split in to discrete levels. I’ve never heard of another game that gives you this option. I did try both, but I got a lot of traversal stutters in the streaming mode, which is probably why the loading zone method is the default.

As for closing thoughts, it’s a great game. I had a good time with it and I’m very glad this weird little series has managed to continue. It’s a unique gameplay experience, which compliments the unconventional aesthetic well. It has some rough edges and I wish it did a better job of explaining itself, but it’s definitely worth pushing past that to see what this game has to offer.