Conversational - anyone interested?

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

I want to put together another Conversational, this time discussing the potential of episodic gaming. I thought it could be interesting to briefly discuss this after reading THIS ARTICLE (best to have a read if you're up for this).

Would anyone be interested in this? I need two to three voices.

All you'll need is Skype, a reasonably clean mic feed, an hour of your time and perhaps a pair of headphones (In case of audio lag and so the other voices aren't picked up on the call as an echo). All the recording etc. is done on my end so there's no messing about.
Roy42

Re: Conversational - anyone interested?

Post by Roy42 »

I'm interested, though if some other people want to join in and it'd be too crowded, I'm okay with sitting out.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Cool. I haven't sorted out any given time or day for recording as I was gonna wait and see who would be up for it, but just out of interest Roy and because you're located in a different timezone what time would you be around?
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

About when I wake up is roughly 9-10pm for you, I'm pretty sure; currently I'm UTC+11, so from where you are I believe I'm one hour backwards, twelve hours forwards.

If I got a clear house, I'd most likely be good for an evening; late enough would be close to the middle of the day, so potentially that could work on a weekend.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

A lunchtime recording is better as it means it can be posted the same day and it's what we did last time. I'd be up for this either tomorrow or Saturday say, 11am UK (10pm?) or 12pm.

Anyone else want to take part?

I like one other voice for this, don't worry if you've never had any prior contact over Skype or anything with any of us, these are meant to be open for the community to interact with whether you've been in from the beginning or have just joined us and not exclusive in any way.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I'd fancy it but I'm not sure of the logistics of it working for me as I've not done anything like this before. I've only got a macbook pro with intergrated camera for skype and no mike (apart from the built in one obviously)
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Excellent, I used the built-in mic on my Mac for the last one so that's not a problem. We can quickly go through the mic volume and sensitivity just prior to recording will only take a couple of minutes.
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

Really? I haven't typically heard the built-in microphone record that well. Normally it picks up too much of the surrounding area (as you'd expect for a mic that you use for something like Facetime, with a group of people on one/either end) to be worthwhile.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Roy42 wrote:Really? I haven't typically heard the built-in microphone record that well. Normally it picks up too much of the surrounding area (as you'd expect for a mic that you use for something like Facetime, with a group of people on one/either end) to be worthwhile.
My levels were a little low last time as I normally use a stand mic for the podcast and I forgot to adjust the input sensitivity for the built-in. Most default settings will be set to around 80% which is too high and partly the reason they pick up a lot of environmental noise. Different systems have different mic quality and software but I find with the built-ins on the Macs, setting the input mic volume at around 40% works fine (and it helps if you record in a generally quiet room too!).

On the first Convo - I used the built-in, Mike used a headset mic and I believe James used his Snowball mic. You can use whatever set-up you like, I'll be able to hear whether your feed is clean enough via Skype since that where I'll be extracting the recording from anyway.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

One other thing, make sure you're up to date with Skype too, I've just noticed there was yet another update to it yesterday.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

I'd love to make an appearance but I'm not free until Sunday. I'd seriously urge anyone with even the slightest interest in podcasts to get on board, it's a real confidence booster and personally I'd never have been able to get into the mindset to do it without the best company you can get (Jay and James).
delb2k

Post by delb2k »

I can definitely do sunday but not saturday, I enjoyed the chat during the PS4 announcement we had so more of thatbis good by me :)

Jay if you need another voice drop me a line on twitter as I am always happy to help :)
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Thanks fellas,

We should be alright for this one but I will definitely call on you for a different recording sometime soon, so I'll be in touch via twitter/PM.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

I may be free Sunday, just give me a shout. What time are you thinking (as I won't be to bed until 6am.)

Just let me know if you need/want/can't live without me.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Hideo Kojima and the Kojima Productions staff are set to demonstrate and explain the workflow and development process of Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes on the Fox Engine this Wednesday at 6pm, can be watched live streamed from here.

Would anyone be up for a quick Skype either after the event on Wednesday evening or the following day to record another brief Conversational?
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Damn would've loved to but I'm at college :( look forward to seeing this after though.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

I'm itching a little at the prospect but I'm not sure my love for the series translates into english words.

I do know for a fact that there are a wealth of knowledgeable MGS die hards on these here forums though :D
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

mikeleddy83 wrote:I'm itching a little at the prospect but I'm not sure my love for the series translates into english words.

I do know for a fact that there are a wealth of knowledgeable MGS die hards on these here forums though :D
Doesn't matter whether you're a fan or not as the main focus of the talk appears to be more about their new Fox engine than the MGS games - so if you're interested in joining in that's fine.

Since there's no set time for how long we chat for other than keeping it under an hour, if we only end up talking talk for 20 mins about it that's cool.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

I'm interested then, I'm expecting a few surprises from the live stream. If it's any help I had a phase many years back where I enjoyed ISS despite having no real interest in football. Obviously that's not likely to be covered but it is a key driving factor behind the new engine.

One small hitch, I need to get up on Thursday at 5am so I'm limited to a few hours after the stream and then I'll be free from about 11am Thursday.