Book Recommendations

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
DomsBeard

Book Recommendations

Post by DomsBeard »

Hi all,

I've got a nice relaxing weekend away next weekend and I'm looking for some light reading based around videogames. I'm not really looking at fiction or comics, more about the industry history an autobiography of somebody in it. Any recommendations?

Thanks
Alex79

Re: Book Recommendations

Post by Alex79 »

I read this last year, it seems like it's exactly what you're after. I think I still have the eBook file if you want it...

EDIT : Aaaaand I forgot the link haha.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Super-Mario-Nin ... 587&sr=1-2
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Cheers ordered it from Amazon. I don't have a kindle I'm a dinosaur as I prefer paper! :).
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

Yahtzee's "Mogworld" is a pretty good fantasy story about an NPC in a to-be-released MMO who starts unwittingly breaking free from the constraints of the system.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

I'd highly recommend Brian Ashcraft's Arcade Mania.
Home of Sega, Nintendo, and Sony, Japan has a unique and powerful presence in the world of video games. Another thing that makes Japan unique in the gaming world is the prevalence of game arcades. There are 9,500 game centres in Japan with more than 445,000 game machines. Arcade Mania introduces overseas readers to the fascinating world of the Japanese gemu senta. Organised as a guided tour of a typical game centre, the book is divided into nine chapters, each of which deals with a different kind of game, starting with the UFO catchers and print club machines at the entrance and continuing through rhythm games, fighting games, shooting games, retro games, gambling games, card-based games, and only-in-Japan games. Covering classic games from Space Invaders to Street Fighter, games that are familiar to Westerners in their home console versions (Rock Band, Guitar Hero and Dance, Dance Revolution), as well as the unique, quirky games found only in Japan, Arcade Mania is crammed full of interviews with game makers and star players, and packed with facts about the history, background and characteristics of each game, all lavishly illustrated with photographs and game graphics. This book is a must-have for gamers everywhere.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

JaySevenZero wrote:I'd highly recommend Brian Ashcraft's Arcade Mania.
Home of Sega, Nintendo, and Sony, Japan has a unique and powerful presence in the world of video games. Another thing that makes Japan unique in the gaming world is the prevalence of game arcades. There are 9,500 game centres in Japan with more than 445,000 game machines. Arcade Mania introduces overseas readers to the fascinating world of the Japanese gemu senta. Organised as a guided tour of a typical game centre, the book is divided into nine chapters, each of which deals with a different kind of game, starting with the UFO catchers and print club machines at the entrance and continuing through rhythm games, fighting games, shooting games, retro games, gambling games, card-based games, and only-in-Japan games. Covering classic games from Space Invaders to Street Fighter, games that are familiar to Westerners in their home console versions (Rock Band, Guitar Hero and Dance, Dance Revolution), as well as the unique, quirky games found only in Japan, Arcade Mania is crammed full of interviews with game makers and star players, and packed with facts about the history, background and characteristics of each game, all lavishly illustrated with photographs and game graphics. This book is a must-have for gamers everywhere.
Ordered! thanks for all the recommendations! :P
furyac3

Post by furyac3 »

Bit of a long shot this but has anyone read the Crysis book Escalation ?

its been on my radar for a wee while and sounds like it could be good (its a book of short story's set in the Crysis world)

was just wanting to see if any of you's have read it ?

(its sitting at £7 odd on Amazon so not a huge lost if it is crap but was just want to see if anyone has read it for a heads up on what its like)
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

Without any restrictions on genre, anyone know any good short stories, or compilations of them?
Doggett

Post by Doggett »

Roy42 wrote:Without any restrictions on genre, anyone know any good short stories, or compilations of them?

Clive Barker's Books of Blood 1st Omnibus!

With short story collections you expect a bit of hit and miss, I enjoyed all but one story and there's 14 of them.
The second Omnibus is a little more rocky though.

(Although talking to a few people, the one story I didnt like ended up being their favourite. Maybe I have poor taste. lol)
strickenmcq

Post by strickenmcq »

I'll second Doggett's choice, got both of the books of blood for xmas but only finished the first one. Be warned though some of Clive Barker's stories are on the weird side of things!!

I have also read and enjoyed this collection this year. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alone-Horrors-F ... y+campbell
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

If you're in the mood for horror you cant go wrong with Lovecraft and/or Poe : http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/barnes- ... 1106658815 , http://www.amazon.com/Edgar-Allan-Poe/e/B000APVRP2 and since it was brought up in the Metro podcast you guys should really give the book a shot it's pretty good if you liked the game or just like post-apocalyptic stories.
Dante Fireseed

Post by Dante Fireseed »

I'm going on holiday in a week or so and fancy taking a videogame history/culture book to read, anyone got any recommendations? There seems to be a few on Amazon, I'd prefer something on a limited subject but more indepth.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

The only book I know of the subject is "The ultimate History of Video Games" by Steven L. Kent I dont know if i't what your looking for but I'd say the book it's worth a read.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

There are a lot of 'broad history' books on the games industry, but not so many on very specific topics.

One's that I've read:

Masters of Doom - David Kushner - About John Carmack and John Romero, written as a narrative but is the product of lots of interviews. A lot of people have called into question how true a lot of it is in recent years though.

Jacked - David Kushner - Same author, same style, only about the development of the Grand Theft Auto games.

Dungeons and Dreamers - Brad King and John Borland - Covers a lot of the history of the computer RPG, from Gygax through Garriott.

Grand Thieves and Tomb Raiders - Rebecca Levene and Magnus Anderson - A history of the British games industry, which tends to not get covered much in other history books.
Dante Fireseed

Post by Dante Fireseed »

Thanks for the suggestions, Grand Thieves and Tomb Raiders sounds very interesting, think I will go for that :)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I just enjoyed reading the latest Neil Gaiman book, The Ocean at the End of the Lane.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

So I just finnished reading a Yatzhee Crowshaw's book from Zero punctuation called MogWorld and it's pretty good the closest thing I can compare it too is the hithicker's guide to the galaxy series before it went to shit in book 4&5 it's a fun read so give it a look if you're into that sorta thing.
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

I've got his second novel, "JAM", about an apocalypse where the city is flooded in carnivorous jam, sitting on my desk right now.
kappisun

Post by kappisun »

Alex79uk wrote:I just enjoyed reading the latest Neil Gaiman book, The Ocean at the End of the Lane.
I've just started American Gods. Enjoying it so far
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

kappisun wrote:
Alex79uk wrote:I just enjoyed reading the latest Neil Gaiman book, The Ocean at the End of the Lane.
I've just started American Gods. Enjoying it so far
If you like American Gods , try Neverwhere.
I would love to see London Below on the big screen!