Transistor

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Combine Hunter

Transistor

Post by Combine Hunter »

New game by Super Giant Games. Mechanically it looks quite similar to their last game, Bastion. However, the artistic direction is completely different. They made it clear when it was announced that this is intended to be an RPG. So that tells me there will be a greater level of character customisation here, than in Bastion. It looks very promising! :)

Scrustle

Re: Transistor

Post by Scrustle »

Looks really cool to me. Kind of like a mix between Bastion, Cyberpunk, with a little bit of Remember Me in there too.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

It looks like the symbology of The Twilight Princess continues to live on! I'm also getting a few vibes of FF8 from it.

Certainly looks like something to keep an eye on, perhaps a little too similar to Bastion from what I see to put it in the top bracket just yet though.
DarthCuddles

Post by DarthCuddles »

I cannot stop watching the trailer, that song is just fantestic
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

I've never played Bastion, yet I've listened to the soundtrack literally hundreds of times and that song makes me think that I'll be could well end up listening to the soundtrack to this one just as much.

I genuinely dig that art styling too!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Love that track, suits the game perfectly. Kinda happy to see them sticking with the same style of game as Bastion was excellent!
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

JaySevenZero wrote:I've never played Bastion
See, that's your first mistake, right there.
Leg of Time

Post by Leg of Time »

As a massive fan of Bastion really looking forward to this! :D
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

I finished Bastion but it never really clicked. The narration always turned my off a bit I think.

I definitely prefer the art direction from that trailer though, so thinking this one might be more down my street.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I loved every aspect of Bastion to bits so I am in the 'can't wait for this' camp.
8-) :D
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

15 minutes of gameplay, taken from the PAX East demo.

Flabyo

Re: Our next podcast recording: Transistor

Post by Flabyo »

Anyone played the iOS version? I don't have the means to play it any other way at the moment, but if it's no good I don't want to ruin the experience.
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

I loved Bastion so getting Transistor on day one was an easy decision help even more as it came out when there was a lack of games I wanted to play coming out on the PS4. When it came out on PS+ I was not too bothered as I thought the developers where deserving of my cash.

Two key features of Bastion that are present in this game are the interesting visuals and music, whilst different to its predecessor is top notch.

The new game play ideas work very well. The stopping time in combat and queuing up moves works well and adds an extra layer of tactics to the combat. But for me the stand out idea in this game is the power ups you gather though out the game. Each one having three different uses, an Attack, an up grade to an attack or a passive up grade to your player. This gives you so many options and gives you a way to tailor the character to your preferred play style. But the very clever thing with the up grades is that they also act a lifes, if you lose all your energy you lose some power ups , this forces you to use different combinations, ones that you might never used in that way with out this penalty.

As for the story I enjoyed its fantsey/tron setting and characters, but for me was missing a major part from Bastion and that was Hart. The story sadly left me cold.
James

Post by James »

We're recording tonight at just after 9pm BST (GMT+1) and would love to have as many of your perspectives included as possible.
The clock is ticking before this digital reality comes crumbling down arounds us! ;)
Flabyo wrote:Anyone played the iOS version? I don't have the means to play it any other way at the moment, but if it's no good I don't want to ruin the experience.
I haven't, but the TouchArcade and PocketGamer reviews are pretty darned positive if that helps at all?
http://toucharcade.com/2015/06/19/trans ... ing-world/
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/Tra ... sp?c=65879
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

As a big fan of Bastion I was looking foward to play transistor but I was also afraid that Bastion was gonna be a one hit wonder and transistor was just gonna stay at it's predecessor shadow,fortunally for me transistor ended up standing on it's own and I was both pleasantly surprised and slightly disappointed.

The game itself follows a structure very similar to Bastion the diference being that transistor is way more streamlined version of it which is fine but I missed the connection I had with the Bastion seeing how similar to it the beach was. On the other hand to aspects that really stand out in comparison to Bastion is the aesthetic and sound,now one of my favorite things about bastion was it's looks and soundtrack but transistor somehow blows them out the water for me especially the soundtrack that was nothing short of superb and makes it seem that the game was built around it and not the other way around.

But then we get to the story,once again one of the things I liked most about Bastion was how it told it's story how it made you care about it's characters and how it gave you just enough information about the world that was to give a bit of complexity and intrige you,on transistor however I feel that they were going for a similar thing but completely missed the mark I really wished I could've cared more about the world of cloudbank the premise in itself is interesting but I just couldnt care less about the utopia's "problems" and how everbody was just so perfect they got bored of living or something that's why the entire plot with the camerata both didnt make sense or interest me,I got the basic idea of what they were trying to do but their motives are left so vague that I just didnt care about any of them either way,actually vague would probably be the best way to describe the whole world and story and this becames especially bad in the ending where a bunch of things happen and the player is left clueless as to what's actually happening and the worse comes right at the very end when your own character takes agency out of you to do something either incredible selfish or that the player cant possibly understand.

So that should be it but as the ending left such a poor taste in my mouth it made me replay the whole game again in NG+ just in the vain hope that something might change or that I might make more sense of the story,it didnt happen,what did happen though was me falling in love with the game again but this time with it's combat system,once I maxed out and unlocked all abilities was the moment the combat really started to shine,the ability to customize your playstyle alone is astounding not only that but you can also choose to engage combat as a slow tactical battle by pausing time or as a full action game by doing all on the fly,my favorite part of NG+ was trying to come up if the most OP combination to kill bosses in 1 hit and the fact that I managed some was really satisfying,speaking of which i enjoyed the final boss fight so much I wish they could've somehow implemented a multiplayer mode in the game because those fight were the most fun I've had playing it and fighting other players would be amazing.

So yeah while the story and it's conclusion left me with nothing actually playing the game was a blast from the beautifull artstyle,impecable soundtrack and incredible gameplay and I have no doubt in my mind that Transistor was one of the best games of last year I only wish I could've liked it more.
Tleprie

Post by Tleprie »

Bastion is in my top 10 favorite games, so when I heard about transistor, I got a little excited. I didn't pick it up day one, as I am always looking to save a few dollars, but got it in the summer sale and played through it in probably 2 or 3 sessions.

First, what I liked about this game: Almost everything.
The art and music are fantastic, and the gameplay is incredibly unique. I love how it takes a similar approach to Bastion, with a variety of weapons, upgrades, and difficulty modifiers, but throws a new spin on it. The mix of free moving action and turn based tactics require careful planning, especially as the game progresses. While the combat could have become repetitive, Supergiant made sure to keep things interesting with new enemies and lots of powers. Up until the end I would be trying different combinations, my favorite being an area of effect attack that converted a lot of enemies to my side.

The final boss stands out as one of my favorite boss fights of all time. Having an enemy with the same abilities as me, and having to outsmart them, was very thrilling. I believe that I beat him on my first try, but just barely. This final fight makes me wish for a multiplayer mode, even if it was just local multiplayer.

Now for the story, which I did not like quite as much as everything else.
The comparisons to Bastion can easily be made, the world is falling apart and you play as the hero who is trying to save whats left. The thing is, I never fully understood the reasons behind everything going bad. It has been about a year since I originally played, (I am now working on a 2nd playthrough) but I seem to remember having a similar feeling at the time. Bastion's world felt very alive, with various trinkets that would give more insight into the world, and the dream stages giving a look into the characters' backstories. Transistor, on the other hand seemed to be throwing me from one point of the story to the next, and rather than explain why or how things were happening, it just pushed me along, never giving a break for me to catch up. I know that there are some character bios linked to the various powers, and while I briefly skimmed over them, I didn't take time to pay much attention to them. If this is where the missing story is, then perhaps I will find it on my 2nd playthrough, however I much prefer Bastion's approach of telling the story within the game, rather than along side it.

While it didn't stick as well as Bastion, Transistor is still a great game on its own, and one that I would recommend anyone give a try.