Whatcha Been Watching?

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Roy42

Re: Whatcha Been Watching?

Post by Roy42 »

I think Game of Thrones is just skipping a week, for whatever reason HBO has.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Roy42 wrote:I think Game of Thrones is just skipping a week, for whatever reason HBO has.
Yeah it's got a week off and back on 3rd June here.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Dreams can come true.

Electric Crocosaurus

Post by Electric Crocosaurus »

dezm0nd wrote:For those who like Arrested Development, there is a new series starting Sunday on Netflix!
I've started working my way through the Arrested Development episodes, and I think I'm around episode 5 now. It's really great to see the cast back together, and it's been a relief to see that the labyrinthine plotting and some of the one-liners are as good as ever. However it definitely has a different feel, with the decision to go for episodes that focus on one character over the others a not entirely successful one. Some characters just aren't that funny without the others to bounce off (Lindsay and Lucille I'm looking at you). Plus there are some shots where characters have clearly been digitally added to the scene, presumably because of scheduling troubles but it's a problem all the same.

I'm surprised to see there are so many episodes in the 'season' though. I hadn't been following the coverage all that much, so I guess I was expecting six or seven, not the fifteen that are now available.
Dante Fireseed

Post by Dante Fireseed »

Started watching House of Cards on netflix, which is excellent. Kevin Spacey, as per usual, steals the show.
Buckled Kipper

Post by Buckled Kipper »

Just back from watching Made Of Stone. As a huge Stone Roses & Shane Meadows fan this was always going to tick all the boxes with me, and boy it didn't disappoint. A real love letter to fans and I loved every minute of it.
Electric Crocosaurus

Given how spoilerific any discussion of this show can become I've started a new thread for discussion of Game of Thrones and all things Song of Ice and Fire. Needless to say I loved the most recent episode, and I can't wait to find out what everyone else made of it.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

I've just started watching nashville. Enjoying it so :)
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Watched The Road yesterday since it was on iPlayer, and it's a film I've always been interested in seeing. It's pretty good, and very bleak. I don't think I've ever seen a film with a more bleak colour pallette. But the ending felt a little bit... contrived and disappointing in a way.

It ends in a way that's very sad and powerful, but then at the very end something comes out of nowhere which lightens the mood slightly. It doesn't quite ruin it, but it kind of feels like it was put in to make the ending "happier". It feels like it was put in because focus groups didn't like the sad ending, even though when I looked it up I didn't find anything indicating that was the case. I just feel like if they cut the film shorter by about 5 minutes the ending would have been much more bold and left a much bigger lasting impression. It didn't exactly end with "and they all lived happily ever after", but it just seemed far too convenient, and backing away from something that could have made it much more than it was.
PressEscToExit

Post by PressEscToExit »

I've been making the most of the 1 month of Netflix I paid for so I could watch the new AD. (Haven't actually finished that yet - it's certainly had its moments without ever reaching the high points of the first 2 seasons.) Working my way through season 3 of Justified, which seems at a glance like the sort of tame police procedural that might've been shown on daytime Sky One in the 90s, but it's nothing like that. Really intricately woven story, with a fantastic sense of place, snappy dialogue and that gorgeous, infectious, ASMR-triggering Kentucky drawl. Yum.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

I watched Justified on the basis of Timothy Olyphant being in it some years back and it was really great.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Scrustle wrote:Watched The Road yesterday since it was on iPlayer, and it's a film I've always been interested in seeing. It's pretty good, and very bleak. I don't think I've ever seen a film with a more bleak colour pallette. But the ending felt a little bit... contrived and disappointing in a way.

It ends in a way that's very sad and powerful, but then at the very end something comes out of nowhere which lightens the mood slightly. It doesn't quite ruin it, but it kind of feels like it was put in to make the ending "happier". It feels like it was put in because focus groups didn't like the sad ending, even though when I looked it up I didn't find anything indicating that was the case. I just feel like if they cut the film shorter by about 5 minutes the ending would have been much more bold and left a much bigger lasting impression. It didn't exactly end with "and they all lived happily ever after", but it just seemed far too convenient, and backing away from something that could have made it much more than it was.
Watched it last night for the first time and really loved it until the end. Something so bleak in its story and muted in its colours shouldn't have ended on a very minor high note. I was expecting something terrible to happen instead.
kappisun

Post by kappisun »

Rattling through Breaking Bad. Now quarter of way through S4. It's consistently great I have to say
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I knew I'd enjoy Breaking Bad since series 1 and
Spoiler: show
Jessie used the acid in the bath and burnt a hole through the floor
. I really enjoy dark humour which was also in the sopranos but Breaking Bad just takes it to a new and different level.
Electric Crocosaurus

kappisun wrote:Rattling through Breaking Bad. Now quarter of way through S4. It's consistently great I have to say
There's a scene towards the end of S4 that stands as one of my favourite TV moments of all time. Without spoiling anything, it involves the camera slowly moving through a square in the floor and is just one of those electric moments where you feel like you're watching something iconic.
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

It's getting a little tired how predictable each season of Game of Thrones will end. And I know they have to set up/tease the next season, but honestly, ending it on last week's episode would've been far better.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Roy42 wrote:It's getting a little tired how predictable each season of Game of Thrones will end. And I know they have to set up/tease the next season, but honestly, ending it on last week's episode would've been far better.
Pretty poor episode I thought, they could've easily ended it the week before for me.
Buckled Kipper

Post by Buckled Kipper »

Thought it was a great episode. Loads happened, and the scene is set nicely for season 4. I like how the big shit always happens on the ninth episode each season.
kappisun

Post by kappisun »

Finished S4 of breaking bad. The ending of the last episode literally had my jaw dropping
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Just wait till you get through the first 8 episodes of Series 5, it's bloody amazing. Will be proper gutted to see Breaking Bad finish for good in autumn.