Dark Souls I, II and III

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
JaySevenZero
Admin

Re: Dark Souls I & II

Post by JaySevenZero »

magicjoef wrote:I have an issue with ranged combat at the moment, where you have to run up to the roof in Londo and a couple of knights are firing arrows at you. I am slow and heavy, and keep messing it up! I'm not built for fighting on a tiny ledge :|
I just legged it up the flying buttress between them and headed for the one on the right. I have a decent shield and as I closed in on the Knight he switched to his sword and took a swing, the resulting recoil sent him off the ledge and to his doom. I then followed the ledge around the building, dropped down and entered the building from there.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

Right, I'm going to give that a try. I think I need to take my shield to the next level, as I take a bit of damage from those guys, but not enough to stop me trying to rush them. Charge!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah that bit was annoying. Think it took me 7-8 goes, and the run back from the bonfire is just enough to be annoying too. I the end I just got naked and ran, jumped and rolled my way to knock the first one off the ledge.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

Well, after a couple of hours of getting knocked off that ledge last night, I think I'm going to have to leave Dark Souls. Might go back to it, but I just don't think my shield is good enough, and I don't know how to improve it in the area I'm in. It is the first time the game hasn't really felt fair, but I'm sure it is just me effing up my build.

Sadly just not enough time to try and get lucky and fluke through it, and I have a pile of other stuff that I want to play this year! It is probably not a bad thing, as I'm not actually that good at it (40 hours to get to Londo!), so I think the second half of the game wouldn't have been as much fun, and I've really loved where I played up to.

So...Dragon's Dogma next! Will all games I ever play from now on seem really easy!?
James

Post by James »

A good shield helps (upgrade it at the bonfire if you can), but you can avoid the arrows easily. Run up the first buttress to the safe point halfway up. After that you don't need to run - the arrows will miss you.

When you get to the top, go right and roll through the arrows (easier than it sounds). When the archer pulls his sword, get your shield up and get close. Attack only when he finishes a combo. Pyromancies are best as they don't use stamina; if you have Combustion or Gt Combustion then it's quite easy. Chances are he'll fall, but if he doesn't you should stagger him sufficiently to sustain your attack.

This is a notorious dead end for many players, and considered the toughest part of the game by many. Don't give up!
DarthCuddles

Post by DarthCuddles »

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =154193625

I finally did it. I hit my head against the brick wall long enough and hard enough to finally beat Gwyn :D
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

DarthCuddles wrote:http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =154193625

I finally did it. I hit my head against the brick wall long enough and hard enough to finally beat Gwyn :D
Pics or it didn't....oh....niiiice! Congrats!
iwatttfodiwwfa wrote:When you get to the top, go right and roll through the arrows...Don't give up!
Okay, I gave it a couple more tries...and rolling really helped, thanks! I've made it through to the next bonfire.

Still not sure if I need a break, but I will explore the new area and find out ;)

magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

Predictable: I ended up playing all evening. And holy sh*t...
Spoiler: show
WARPING! Amazing!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Haha. It's the only game I've ever used fast travel. I generally absolutely refuse to use it, preferring to spend hours driving, riding or walking across maps in games, but this was a rare occasion where fast travel was actually properly part of the game/story and not just a mechanism to save time.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

In my first hours with the game, I thought all the shortcuts were going to amazingly connect areas back to the first bonfire, but I figure there is just too much are to really make that viable.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I really enjoyed the C&R podcast I listened to after completing this, but I just wanted to call on a really pedantic thing - and I know Leon is a big fan of pedantry (even though he wasn't on this particular podcast). Someone on the show praised the game for the fact it's so hugely open world and you could literally walk between any two points in the game without ever having to load anything. You can't, you need to load between Sen's Fortress and Anor Londo.

I'm so sorry.

:oops:
James

Post by James »

That was probably me. I may have misspoken, what I meant was that it's possible to play the whole game, and traverse the entire world without seeing a loading screen. As you mentioned, there is a cut-scene that plays between Sen's Fortress & Anor Londo. There are also cut-scenes between Undead Asylum & Firelink, Catacombs & the Gravelord Chamber and Firelink/The Abyss & Kiln Of The First Flame (there may be more I'm forgetting). Even these aren't actually masking loading though, as they're entirely skip-able.

Nevertheless, if I said that you could traverse the entire world without loading, then I was delusional. It's also clearly not possible to do so entirely uninterrupted. Good spot! :)

That said, walking uninterrupted from the top of Sen's Fortress to the Bed Of Chaos and then to the Tomb Of The Giants (from where you can see back to Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith) is pretty impressive.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Oh yeah it is impressive alright! In fact, probably egg on my face because thinking about it pretty sure you said there are no loading screens.

Dammit, last time I try to out-pedant C&R :lol:
James

Post by James »

Let's face it, no one is going to complete Dark Souls without seeing a loading screen. That would require no deaths, no warping and no exiting the game; it's a nice observation though, I think. :)
Rich

Post by Rich »

I reinstalled Windows 7 and lost my SL1 save at Gwyn!
Devastated!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

:o :cry:
Rich

Post by Rich »

I thought I had already put the save file in Google drive but I hadn't.
My PS3 Limited Edition arrived today so I'm just going to start fresh there.
James

Post by James »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
:cry:
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

:shock:
PressEscToExit

Post by PressEscToExit »

Is the untrustworthy guy in Tomb of the Giants meant to be Patches from Demon's Souls? Different voice obviously but similar demeanour and appearance.

Edit: never mind, bumped into him in the Catacombs in NG+. Missed him there the first time, somehow. I hope he's in DS2 so I can murder him again.

His bit was pretty funny - when he told me about the treasure I kicked him into the pit, but the cutscene still triggers when you look down :lol:

I kicked him down there again later to see if he'd help me fight the big skeleton dog thingies but he just walks through them.